llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Graphic versus Description, Which is better?  (Read 1189 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

ZAG

Graphic versus Description, Which is better?
« on: April 13, 2004, 05:20:25 PM »
<edit strolen>Advertising and weblink moved to the Links thread.</strolen edit>

Hi,

There you will find a little outstanding and non-conventional project. This supplement is a mixture of plans and visions together with ideas for adventures connected with this place.
Supplements presented by us are unusual because of their extended graphical form and flexible description, which enable you to convert them for the needs of any system.
We hope you will find interesting the way we introduced our work to you and that it will make your sessions more attractive.

Best regards
The Forge

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 05:23:22 PM »
Uh...Okay.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Yah... okay.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 01:01:59 AM »
note to strolen: We really need a place for people to post solicitations and notices.  

While graphics are nice and useful, description will forever be better.  It allows GMs to better adapt things to their game world, players, and style of play. Changing one thing, could eliminate all the graphical coolness from being useful.  

Also, most players/ GMs don't have access to computers while in play, so some of the graphical goodies and format you have will be lost for those who transfer it over to pen and paper.

As for genericness, things that are too generic are not very useful, as there are more things you have to work on.  Even here, where we don't use systems, you can tell that certain items/ places/ plots require certain types of settings/ gameworlds. There are givens that are going to have to be in place for people to properly adapt certain things.  Just an opinion, something you might want to consider.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 01:15:27 AM »
Sometimes graphics can be useful as a guide, But I believe people wouldnt enjoy themselves quite as much if they had everything drawn out for them. I think what makes RPing so fun is the use of imagination, and descriptions give you the basics, allowing your mind to fill in the details to what you would enjoy the most.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 02:38:09 AM »
I had a section for posting links and advertising at one point, but for the few that do this kind of innappropriate advertising for their own site it is not worth having an entire section dedicated to it.

I have links section of the main site that they can submit to and if they took a momoent they would see a 10 page links thread that they can post whatever they like.

I wouldn't go to another board and say, "Visit me." It is one thing to mention it in conversation, that has been handled tactfully enough by others who don't post an advertisement as "Guest."

My thoughts, if you want to advertise your site, yeah for you, I know the feeling, but there are more tactful and acceptable ways to go about it.

No, I don't think I want an advertising forum. People can advertise in their sig and by presenting good ideas that will make others want to see what they are all about. If they don't want to take the time to do that then add it to our links thread or the links page which are perfectly acceptable one shot "visit me" announcements.

*THUMP*

Is that soapbox getting higher? I think that is twice in as many weeks.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • http://www.home.zonnet.nl/ylorea
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 05:31:51 AM »
I have to say that the site is sort of nice to look at, but the mention to the relation with this site is totaly lost to me.... Escpecialy as I have seen the EXACT same advertisement in two other places as well.

As per the comment of MoonHunter, I do not use a computer during play and so all I can say is that the site provides me with some ideas that might be usefull.... might be.... perhaps.... maybe.... maybe not.... probably I will find better ideas here by just reading the NPC section or the items section and not even browse the fora....

Yours,

Ylorea

Please feel free to visit Teolin. (Simply press the "www" button)