llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Firefly  (Read 7584 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
Firefly
« on: March 19, 2004, 10:26:40 PM »
so has anybody here seen the series firefly? it ran for only one season on FOX but then it got canceled because nobody even knew it existed. Anyway, so my brother got the season on dvd for his birthday and it is really good, in fact, the dvd sales were so good that they're making it into a movie now. I just wanted to know if anybody else has seen it.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
I have seen it.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 02:48:30 AM »
I loved the show.  Unfortunately the network showed the series out of order, so episode 2 was episode 1, the premire was the finale, and all in all I think the network wanted to screw over the series.  They wanted a break out hit, and did not get it.  Not that Buffy or any of his other series were "break out" hits, but they all developed deep and loyal fan bases that support them in syndication.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
Firefly
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 11:53:33 AM »
it's a awsome show and fox will be kicking themselves (if they arn't already) once the movie comes out. I personally can't wait for it, especially since they're having the origional cast. The movie will be called "Serenity" and I suggest the when it comes out in fall (I think that's when it'l be done) that everybody must go and see it.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Firefly
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 11:25:56 PM »
I liked the show when I saw it, but it seemed a little out of order.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Firefly
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 12:26:22 PM »
Firefly rocks.  In all ways possible.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Firefly
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 05:19:16 PM »
I like catching them and putting them in a jar.

If you hit them with a tennis racket they send a shower of sparks.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: Firefly
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:06:14 PM »
We have had the TV show. It was good, Shiney Good!

We have the movie. It was pretty good... it was just a two part episode in my mind. And

We have the RPG. 

The RPG is pretty good. It is kind of shiney. The game system works reasonably well. It is an independent system, nothing specifically like it. It is fast and easy to use. One die for stat, one die for appropriate skill, beat the difficulty mechanics. The ship system makes sense. The crew system is okay. There is not enough background material to make the setting come alive (unlike Wheel of Time D20, Game of Thrones D20, or Buffy RPG, which you can run well without ever having seen the books/ series). Like the Babylon 5 RPG, if you don't know the series, much of the good stuff will be totally lost on you.

Still, if you are a fan... you will want the game. And the cult following extends into the RPG community. There is a ton of stuff on the net for the game.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 10:49:39 PM »
I want the RPG so bad...  Is on my list of major RPG purchases to make.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 11:27:22 AM »
Get it sooner than later, the print run is going low.

Also get the people at your local Borders to order it. They say, they can get it in 7 days, but nobody who has ordered it from them has gotten it in under 8.  And because they said it was 7, you get it for free.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 09:09:39 PM »
Well, hell, now I wish we had a Borders anywhere reasonably close.  Maybe Books-a-Million can do the same thing...

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »
I have the series and the movie on DVD. The series I think puts it in order the way it should have been but it ended way on a note that just dropped the ball. I liked the movie alot but I think like Moon said it was more like a season finale that was in two parts. It could have been much better but they just hashed it to get it done I think.

To bad there will never be another series of Firefly... Josh Weldon (?) said he is glad for the success but there will never be another Firefly done.
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Offline Cennil

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 10:20:20 AM »
Firefly is quite possibly the best sci fi Ive ever seen, and the characters are definitely the greatest and most well developed characters of any sci fi, and possibly even of any TV series. Take Mal, for instance. He's deep, he's got motivations, he's flawed... he was a soldier in a war, on the losing side, and even though he's lost his faith he can't abandon the principles he once felt so strongly about. He's a tormented character, getting old, and the worlds become a hostile place. He's got defense mechanisms, but not all of them work too well anymore. He's also hilarious, witty, and a total badass.

It's worth watching just to hear Jayne's dialogue alone. Jayne makes Evil Henchmen and Generic Mercenary Thugs epic and cool.

If you havn't seen Firefly then for the love of god, sort your life out and buy the whole series pronto, it's bloody orgasmic.

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 06:43:13 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D
wow i made a thread and people responded. *self hug*

I used to get all my friends together in the dorms and we'd hang out and watch firefly *sighs* ahh, the good 'ol days

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 11:42:28 PM »
Joss Whedon is our master now. Should I ever become moderately rich (not likely) my first act would be to continue the production of Firefly, it needs to be finished.

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 10:33:31 AM »
Ah if only it were that easy.

Farscape did the same exact thing when Sci-Fi got their greedy hands on it. It went three perfect seasons with no hitch. Then Sci-Fi bought it and it barely lastest 2/3 of the fourth season. It was good, had good character developmentand a lot of humor not familiar to the states.

The Farscape community cried enough so they got a four hour mini series movie on Sci-Fi but it should have sent to the theaters. It would have been so much better.

Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Offline Arminas

• My coat is sorta a brownish color...
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 01:12:44 PM »
Firefly and Serenity have to be my all time favorite movie/series

Action, suspense, serious freakin comedy, lol... I own the series and the movie now, have to have watched them all so many times

"Honey, He's putting the hair AWAY now"
"It doesnt matter... It'll still be there... waiting..."
(My lil sis absolutely loves that scene and so do I)

And woah, hang on. RPG? This has until now escaped me, for the love of god tell me where to find it lol
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 01:14:52 PM by Arminas »
"Now I did a job, and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job, and then I get paid."

"... but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 10:15:53 PM »
Ah, yes, the wonder that is Shepherd Book's hair...

Check local bookstores (Borders has them, apparently), gaming stores, online... Wherever else you find gaming books

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »
OK, I am in the fan club.

Actually seen Firefly and Serenity a while ago, just wanted to let it soak up. (Plus somehow didn't find the time for a proper homage. Bad manfred.)

It is a wonderful story, with great characters and too many funny quotes to choose from. Should get an Oscar for the dialogues only!

To give a Citadel ranking to the whole thing, it is a clear 5.0 for me. The movie seems to be a bit weaker than the series (but there is THE Message included that makes up for it), and the first few parts, as well as the last part of the series did not appeal to me as much (so only 4.0-4.5 for those). As a whole, however, it is an excellent story, a lovable series that contains so much humour, action and emotions that would dearly love to see something like that in a campaign, mine or anyone's.

As an aside, you can't help but imagine putting a character or two into an RPG - take Mr. Niska, your ideal employer for any group even slightly on the border of law. Don't you cross him, or... things will be not so solid with you. Or the Operative from the movie, another psycho and excellent opponent.

In the end, the strongest aspect is the emotional impact - it is a human story. It is also great how the most funny moments are combined with the most chilling, or sad moments. I have seen it whole two times in a row, and may see it another time again. It is worth it.

EDIT: Advice to anyone watching it - see the series first, then the movie. While the movie is fine on itself, it is much better if you know the characters and their background.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 08:05:50 AM by manfred »
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 12:44:23 AM »
Well said!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 04:16:20 PM »
Okay, now what?

I mean that.  We have had the aborted series we love. We have had the movie (which is not going to be followed up). We even have a rpg.  Is there a book series? At least Star Trek quickly spawned a number of books based upon it.  But as of now, nothing is happening with it.

So are we Firefly/ Serenity fans going to go the way of Original BattleStar Galactica fans or Space 1999 fans? Before the new series, there were still a number of die hard BSG fans that loved the series, Moppets are all. They wore the jackets. They said Frac! They were dedicated because there had been nothing but a few fan fics, while Star Trek fans generated tons of them. They just hung on to it. 

Are we the same?

Are we just going to hang out in odd corners of conventions dressing oddly (in costume for Firefly which few and few people will recognize), talking to the dwindling number of other fanatics (at conventions and in discussion groups), and going on about the "good old days", about how the network killed this wonderful show, about how people really don't understand it, and so on.

Now what?  Do we hang on forever or find a new fad?

Just some thoughts

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2006, 12:53:29 AM »
We could always attempt to write our own Firefly books.  I mean, it was fans of StarTrek that wrote those, wasn't it?  And I don't know about you, but I intend to keep forcibly converting people until they take my boxed set away.

Offline Feraltetsuo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2006, 12:11:27 PM »
I hadn't even heard of Firefly until the movie Serenity came out. After seeing Serenity I rushed out and bought Firefly. Sad to see that the series didn't make it past season one. That is one show I would have watched religiously.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 01:09:49 PM »
Blog entry #561: Started a thread for gathering any ideas related to Firefly. Not sure if it will get somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 02:27:02 AM by manfred »
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 11:19:42 PM »
Fans writing books is what, in my opinion, crushed the Starwars expanded universe. As far as I can see, there is nothing that can be done at the moment. Besides, being small in number gives us an excuse to be elitist snobs, Like people who played 2nd edition AD&D, and that's alwayss fun!

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
  • The Force of the Bunny is strong in this one...
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 01:46:42 PM »
I think one of the things going against FireFly was the opening song. I also bought the DVD set after watching the movie, Serenity, and I couldn't stand the lyrics or the tune. And since on TV you'd have to sit through it, it seems like a real show-buster.

I really hope they come out with more movies or another series, it's really awesome, but they don't explain enough! >__>

www †  artcraft