llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Items, Ideas, plot's and the like  (Read 895 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • http://www.home.zonnet.nl/ylorea
    • Awards
Items, Ideas, plot's and the like
« on: March 16, 2004, 07:50:22 AM »
Of late I have noticed that some people post items, ideas, plot's or characters and then just seem to forget about them.
(Let me be honest here, I have seen this especialy among the items.... the other sections I have sort of forgotten to check, or at least not checked very regularly.  :oops: )

Anyway, what seems to happen is that people post a item and then just leave it at that.... Next other people comment on the item, sometimes ask for clarification, but nothing happens... the original author seems to just not ever check on the item again.

Is it just me who thinks this is sort of strange and perhaps even not very polite?
I would strongly urge everyone to check their items for comment, for instance one week after their original posting and if they posted some comment, check another time about a week after their comment.

Yours,

Ylorea

Please feel free to visit Teolin. (Simply press the "www" button)

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Amen!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:37:58 AM »
I agree with you with my whole heart.  If you post something, at least have the pride in your item/ character/ setting/ plot, to check in on it, answer the questions posed about it, and maybe even add little additions to it that you have thought of.  If you don't have any pride or commitment with your post, DON'T POST. We don't want just "any old junk", because after giving helpful advice on how to improve it (or just ridiculing it for a while if not worth salvaging), it will just get deleted.  We want interesting elements that are worthy of being added to a game, that have enough background and quality that they are the equal of anything in a novel (not house published by WotC or WW), that are presented carefully and clearly so all can enjoy them.  

Can I repeat that for the cheap seats? Sure.
If you don't have any pride or commitment with your post, DON'T POST IT

Yes, our standards are high. Most of you can and do meet them. Most gamers have the imagination to create an interesting item, character, and place. If you take the time to do it right, rather than just splatting something up, you can clear the bar. Some of you don't post because you think you are not "worthy enough".  Take your time, present your idea, and you will probably find out you are.  Even if you fall short, try. Edit the post. Take the advice to heart. Make your post better. If you can strive to meet them, your post will be added to campaigns across the world.  Your idea in tens to hundreds of games. Think about it. Is your idea worthy? Now do you see why we are trying to push the envelope on quality of posts?  

Now I know, there has been a great deal of "hit and run" posting, as someone splashes something up, then never checks the site again. Some of this is attention span, other parts are people realizing this is not the site they thought it was. A scant number of the "hit and runs" are worthy, the rest are a waste of memory space.  Many of the inane items, settings, and characters are quietly deleted a few weeks down the line.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Items, Ideas, plot's and the like
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 05:04:17 PM »
Hm, I check back on my submissions fairly regularly, but have neglected to post in it BECAUSE I thought it may be rude :P My thoughts were, if I posted a little addition to my item, it would be raised back to the top of the pile, and therefore push the other new items down a slot, and other viewers may not notice it.

But due to this thread :) I'll now answer questions etc... on my submissions. Thanks for clearing it up :P
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.