llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Suggestions and Ideas  (Read 6909 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« on: February 29, 2004, 08:37:08 PM »
Anybody who wants to give their own suggestions or ideas in to me, please do so in this thread.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 04:29:42 PM »
Moonhunter, I'm lookin' your way... (Hint, hint!)

Offline Magus

• Knight
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 04:30:50 PM »
how about this, MAGIC CLASS!
the road keeps on telling me to go on

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 05:01:21 PM »
But that destroys the whole point of it being a low magic setting.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 07:57:32 PM »
So anyway...
Looking for contributions.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 02:54:06 AM »
Are there any common fantasy creatures in it? Or are all non-earthly creatures reserved for 'monster' status, found in some deep cavern or abandoned temple?
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Lazy Penguin

Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 01:45:59 PM »
Well...
Try me. What do you mean?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 05:25:16 PM »
Yeah, what do you mean?
Goblins? Elves? Ogres? Minotaurs?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 04:00:21 PM »
Ideas that I may or may not use...
-Merlings, a completely aquatic race of humans.
-Underland, the underground world.
-Hellas, a Greek-themed land (probably won't use Hellas)

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »
Quote from: "CaptainPenguin"
Yeah, what do you mean?
Goblins? Elves? Ogres? Minotaurs?

I meant more fantasy non-sentient creatures, like dragons, unicorns and what-not. what about a thread of the non-worldly creatures in these lands? :)
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 07:46:39 PM »
Well, they are astonishingly few, if they exist at all.
If they do exist, they are absolutely legendary. Humans do not see them but every few centuries. They are, like in Real Life, the things of legends and myth.
But that is not to say that one might not find them, if one looked hard enough...

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
MoonHunter Sayth:
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 05:25:59 AM »
First, I am going to appologize for not posting here sooner. I tend to focus on certain things and neglect my duties to spread wisdom everywhere.  

Things I would like to see...
Each region should have a list of Archetypes for them, with some descriptions attached. It should be no more than a line or five.  This would be the "classes" or "types of people" you would encounter there, beyond the expected farmer/ crafter/ herder. If your area had priests that were important to the area, they would be listed. Senators, Nobles (if important), WitchHunters, or specialized crafts/ professions (Woodweavers), beyond the expected should be listed.  Each warrior type should have the expected weapons and armor for the region. These are just stereotypic thumbnails so the GM can get a feel for the area.  

Examples (From Antioch)

Guardsman: The Blue Cloaks keep the peace in Antioch and will defend the City if needed.  They are the only ones allowed to have ranged weapons in the city, so most will carry medium sized crossbows.  They traditionally have tangler headed spears to capture targets and shortswords just in case things get tough.  They tend to be a stoic bunch, as everyone hates them, yet everyone wants them around.

Guildsmen: Antioch is a place where raw materials flow to, due to its geographic location. Here, crafters make a variety of goods that find their way across the known world.  Crafters are generally friendly, tired, and always looking for a deal.  

Docksmen: Antioch is normally a highly civilized place. Except at the docks. Once the sun goes down and the work ends, it becomes a rough and tumble area, filled with brawling, drinking, and other activities.  Knives are docksmen's weapon of choice.  

Another thing I would like to see is some examples of how magic does work here, and perhaps the names and positions of a few black arts practioners.  This would give you something to build upon when you run the setting.

Other than that, I enjoy this thread. Keep it up.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
The Gods of Eregard
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 09:17:05 PM »
On the request of CaptainPenguin i have tried to use old Norrøn names for gods and the like since the Eregard people are somewhat like the old vikings. These are only ideas worked out from the language of old norwegian. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this since it was originaly only a Private Message to CaptainPenguin. But since I did put some work into it, it would be good to at least have it posted somewhere.

Here goes the PM.

Gods of Eregard

Well, as I take this task seriously I will try to make sense of the names.

For example: You said you wanted a god for fire.. The old norwegian
word for fire is Muspel*, or Muspellir. This way the name of the Gods will have meaning and not only sound cool in Old Norse.

Before i embark upon this task i have a few comments to the Eregard..
I see you have used the figure of Ymir, If you want to I could enlarge
the Eregard story of him. I do not know how familiar you are with
these stories. Do you know the story of Ymir?

You could blend it with your own story...

The story of Ymir

In the time, the time of old, neither earth nor the sky or the sea existed. Only the empty endless void known as the Ginnungagap
was there. On the north side of this void was Nifelheim the endless Ice.
In the middle of Nifelheim the well Hvergshjelme, the source of all water lies. From this well 12 rivers of frozen water ran into the void. On the southside of this void Muspelheim*[OOC](heim means the land of, or home),[/OOC]the eternal fires burning heat was guarded by Surt with his flaming sword.
In the middle of the the deep where fire and ice met, the first sign of life was created. From the drops of melted ice arose Ymir and the cow Audhumbla. Ymirs hunger was great, but his sister Audhumbla gave him food, from her breats four rivers of milk flowed, and this milk was Ymirs neutrition. When he was full he fell asleep, and sweated.
From his sweat came horrible creatures of darkness, Rimturser and Jotner.
Audhumbla was thirsty and drank from the ice rivers of Elivaagirs(Ã¥).
From where she had been licking the ice a creature came forward three days later. This was Bure, The first human like god!
Bure soon got a son of his own wich was named Bor, Bor married Besla,
a Jotne woman. She gave birth to three strong lads, when they were powrfull enough they killed Ymir with a block of ice.
When Ymir died his blood poured out and became a mighty wave and all the creatures of darkness drowned(Jotner and Rimturser), all but Bergjelme and his wife wich escaped in a boat. From them came all the Trolls and Daemons of the later time. Later on the three brothers created the world
of gods and humans. And thus was the world created, from Ymirs blood came the sea, from his body the earth, from his hair came the trees and other plants. from his bones the mountains were created, from his teeth
hills and cliffs and rocks. from his skull the sky was created and from his brain the clouds. Four dwarfs kept the sky up, Austre, Vestre, Nordre and Søre[OOC](this basicly means: East, West, North and south. But its is made to be names)

-From here on Ymir is gone from the tale. It is a long tale of wich some parts you proparbly know. It is to long for me to write here and now.
But if you are interested I could do it.

I have now studied some older book of myth, to long since I have read them. So i dont remember everything. The world story of Ymir I know by heart tough. I have put toghether many names in old Norrøn.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First the elementals

Hvergelur- Tall mountain, or dangerous height. It is not an expression ever used in combination with normal mountains. It can be the soul/god of all mountains.

Eiktyrnde- It means guardian-or the sheperd of the forest. It would be a good name for a forest God.

Rimgur- It means wielder of snow and frost.

Nifelgur- The wielder of water. This way Rimgur and Nifelgur become brothers in a way. I thought this could be good since they are basicly the same elemental. If you dont want this you could use...:
Vannfallir -this means the fall of water.

Muspelhogg- A bite of fire. Or fast fire. He could live in Muspelheim, wich could be underground at the earths core?

These elemental gods are not beings in the same sense as the human gods. they could be physical beings if you like. But their nature is that of their elemental. They dont meddle in the affairs of the other gods since they care little for such affairs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The phanteon of human like gods

The chief could be the firstborn Mimherde. This means the one that
can reflect upon things. the wise one, the poet.<--poetry was a great symbol of wisdom in the viking era. You could be a great warrior, but without the ability to talk in poetry you were nothing but a barbarian.

The godess could be named Modirold, this means mother old.
*I dont know if you want me to create a myth around these gods, but i could do this and use threads from the Norrøn mythology.

I will create the story of Modirold-be sure to give me your oppinion and i could do the same for the other gods as well.

Modirolds story

The heat of the sun reached the cold of the moon and forth sprang the Mother of old, Modirold. She was the heart beat of all, the rythm of life.
In the beginning she was the virgin. Her number was eight, the number of the primar lusts. Later to become a barbaric number.
The day the sun rained fire she was struck down and gave birth to the eight firstbornes. Mimherde the first borne and the wisest, Solur(the time of the sun), Maantidir(the seasons of the moon), Nerthis wich care for nature and all things beautiful, and at last the three brothers wich came out of Modirold toghether. Nornd the god of war and battle, Nidhur the god of cunning and bravery(a trixter) and Hanthyr the warm hearted and kind.
Nidhur and Norn soon envied the Solur and Maantidir, for they seemed wise and distant, always looking to the sky and and the far shores.
They made up a plan, and tricked Hanthyr to show them the egde of the world. Solur and maantidir awed by the wiew of the egde, started to sing
of the sun and the moon. And then Nidhur talked words of honey to Hanthyr, he said that Solur and Maantidir wanted to fly to where they belonged and told the young Hanthyr that he had to push them were they to fly. Hanthir did as he was told.
In shame of dicovering what he had done, Hanthir killed himself.
From the metals of his body the remaining gods made weapons and found strenght and power. Modirold cried and mourned the loss of her three children, after her tears were trough she fell asleep. Then the gods made their home upon her body and forged the world with their tools.
----------------------------------------
You could continue this if you want to, but at least it is a beginning of how the world came to be. Note that this is a mythology and does not have to be true to others than the Erengard.
-----------------------------------------
I hope that this will suffice for a start at least, I enjoyed writing it.
If there is something you wonder about, what some names mean or this and that. Dont hecitate to PM me. And tell me if you want more gods or anything .

A few last notes on Erengards world

I see you have used Hugin(n) and Jarl in your name list. You are proparbly aware that Hugin and Munin are the ravens of Odin and not the names of
people. But this is not to important since it is a fantasy game :)

Jarl is a title and not a name, but in the newer times it has been adopted
to become a regular name. But then it is prenounced Jarle or Jarlir.

A small note on the name Eregard by the way, gard means a farm.
Not in the sense of a farmers farm, but a land where a certain people live.
So this is good. Ere has no direct meaning, but it its similliar to Dere.
It means another people, or simply "them".

Fenris or Fenrir, it depends. Fenris is the newer name of this wolf that Loke
gave birth to. I would use Fenrir to give it a touch of old, or Fenris for people to recognise it...

Michael
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 09:54:31 PM »
Like I said in my PM, thanks very much!

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
letters
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 10:05:27 PM »
As Captain pointed out, I have used some Norwegian letters
wich demands explaining. Since the english language has nothing like this
it will be quite hard to describe how to pronounce these letters.
But here goes.

Ø= a fine blend of O U A -Try to say grunt without putting to much weight on the U... hold it for a while and try to mix the letters all toghether.
There! Maybe you got it? Maybe not, no one will correct you anyway so...

Ã…= Ã… is composed of the letter AA together. Like Aasgard. The closest thing I can think of right now is the word Holling.. Try to not make to much out of the O. Saying it fast might help.

Æ=I dont know if I used this letter, but it also a basic rune letter in old norse.
Take Aesir for example. Thats a nice way of Describing Æ.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
Hulder
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 05:48:06 PM »
This is a northern being that could blend in with the world of Eregard and the Durmalgishmen. It is part of the folk lore of norway. I saw that you have used nymphs and such, and the Hulder or Huldra is not to unlike them.

The Hulder is of a dark people that live under earth. But she herself is fair and beautiful(at least when on the surface).
She looks like a normal woman, just extremely beatiful.
The only way of identifying one is that they have a tail.
She walks the mountains and wilderness forests in search of mortal men she can lure. This is often sexual since men seems to follow them out of lust.
Into the woods she leads them. And then the are "Bergtatt"! This means that she locks them into the mountain. And the poor victim has to live for ever under the earth, and then he sees what she truly is...

This could be a legend or a childrens tale in the lands of eregard.
I hope it can be of use.

Sincerely M
Authentic Strolenite™©®

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
Holmgang
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 06:09:15 PM »
Holmgang

Among the Scandinavians of the Viking Age, honor was of paramount importance, both to the individual and to the family: "honor was a kind of equilibrium which a man could not allow to he disturbed. It was intolerable if you were not on even terms with society at large, if you and your family could be spoken of with scorn. Balance and good name were restored only with successful retaliation for insult or injury.

This retaliation took form by way of an duel to restore the offended honor. The Vikings called the duel einvigi; literally "single combat," but the concept was developed well before the Viking Age by their Germanic ancestors, for cognates appear in Old Swedish (einvighe), Old High German (einwic), and Old English (artwig), as well as in Old Norse (Bø, "Hólmganga and einvigi," ). Einvigi was an unregulated duel, fought with any weapons, in any location and by any methods: in short, a brawl .
As Scandinavian society continued to evolve throughout the Viking Age, further mechanisms to control violence within the society were developed. Since the world-view of the pagan Norseman glorified the warrior, and promised a luxurious afterlife for those who died in battle, it followed naturally that for many the surest resolution of dispute would he by the sword. The duel of honor would remain a part of Scandinavian society, however in the West Norse areas (Norway and Iceland) a new form of duel evolved, known as hólmgang. While the einvigi persisted to some extent side-by-side with hólmgang, in Iceland especially einvigi became more and more rare. (At times in the later literature the two terms have become confused, using einvigi when the text's description makes it clear that hólmgang is what was meant). The hólmgang was still a duel of honor, fought between two men, but the hólmgang was different from einvigi in that it was associated with specific rules or customs known as hólmgangulog (literally, "hólmgang-law" or "hólmgang-rules"). The hólmgangulog was not a single, formally codified law, as the word -log would suggest, but apparently varied from place to place,  "
For the purposes of the company, the Holmgang not only resolves disputes but creates Bondi and Ravens. It is the central all important aspect of the company. Might makes right. The terms of the Holmgang are these:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Two combatants enter a 9 foot square area called a Holm. The Holm is to be clearly marked with rope or other markings so that the combatants clearly understand the borders of the Holm.

2) The two may choose a second to join them for the duel in specific circumstances (see below).

3) The duel is without the use of any class or class abilities. It is strictly to be a normal tournament duel.

4) There shall be NO reeve or otherwise judge to witness the event. The fight is purely on the honor of the fighters.

5) Should one of the combatants exit for whatever reason the boundaries of the Holm, they have lost and the remaining fighter is declared the winner. Whatever the issue of the Holmgang was, the victors viewpoint shall be considered the "correct" view for the entire company regardless of personal feelings to the contrary by individual players. This view shall stand without contest with the only exception being by the challenging of the second if applicable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am rather intrigued by your world Captain. Thats why I am bothering you with all of this. Since I assume that the honor of the Eregard and Durmalgishmen depends on raw might and strenght, being a northern folk and all. They could have developed a code of honor in battle that looks something like the Holmgang.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 06:34:25 PM »
Thank you, I think I will use it.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 06:40:59 PM »
Einvigi for Durmalgishmen, and Holmgang for Eregard.

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 07:21:21 PM »
Sounds grate, really glad you could use it!
By the way "Holm" means a small island, dont remember if I wrote that.
But it was not really required of a Holmgang to be on an island, but it was favored!

Sincerely everbodys Michael
Authentic Strolenite™©®