llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Broken Nations  (Read 3179 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« on: March 05, 2004, 07:33:49 PM »
The year is 2156 A.D. and the world is nothing like it is today. Russia has become the Nation of Zon, after a rebellion in Russia the citizens where seeking a solid leader. Lord Zon stepped forward. He promised the people of Russia that he would free the world of violence, he convinced the people that guns was the source of most the worlds pain, and launched a campaign to rid the world of violence. Zon seemed to love the people, and the people loved Zon.

The oriental nations and Australia where the first to react. They rebuilt the great wall, in a more modern fashion of course, and drafted armies that would equal the might of Zon. One would think that the new oriental nation was readying itself to overthrow Zon, but they did not. They simply stood at their posts waiting for Zon to make his move. This angered Zon very much. With the oriental nations defending rather than attacking it made him look like an evil dictator, rather than an inspired revolutionary.

Soon all hell broke loose; the Russians began to call for an invasion of the Middle East. The UN warned Zon not to attack, but Zon replied by pulling out of the UN and invaded the next day. Within three weeks Zon’s great army had taken half of the Middle East. The oriental nations warned the other countries that Zon won only because the Middle East was divided and pleaded with the rest of the world to combine as it had. South American and Mexico where the first to act and became the United Republic of the South (U.R.S). Next guided by the European union. Europe the continent became well Europe the country, Africa did the same. American was the last to act and formed an alliance with Canada, but Quebec (a separate country now) would not. Zon became enraged the day this news reached him, but there was one bit of info that kept him from killing the messenger, Quebec had pledged allegiance to him. Now, even though he faced five world superpowers he might be able to shake their nerves by taking America. But first he had a bad neighbor to deal with.

The hour news broke out that the Zon war machine was heading for Europe American/Canadian troops landed on the soil of Europe, Nearly ¾ of the American/Canadian (nicknamed the Knights of Humanity or K.O.H). It was now time for Zon to make his move. He attacked Europe and American at the same time. In 6 months all of Canada and the northern half of American belonged to Zon. He destroyed all of the munitions depots in America. It seemed to be the end for America, but a new hero stepped forward from the shadows, woman named Clair Remington, the heir to the great rifle company. She had been storing munitions, military equipment, and even her own private army; she reveled many fortified munitions depots, and stormed the western coast until she came to Alaska. A newfound hope flamed anew in the Americans, and everyone took up arms to combat the evil Zon.

(I will explain in later posts other more detailed aspects of this game but this should hold you over for now.)
You may know me from... nevermind just go away

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 08:31:24 PM »
Ah, yes...
Your post-Apocalyptic setting!
Moonhunter is going to be on you about some things, but don't worry, it's a good setting anyway.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 10:27:09 PM »
I have a question. How is he launching a campaign against all violence in the world by building an army? This itself makes him seem more an evil dictator than the oriental nations not attacking. He obviously got an extremely large army, and by 2156 any army getting that big that fast would be stopped so fast it would make their heads spin!
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 10:41:53 PM »
Zon only launched the campaign to remove weapons of war, then he "supposedly" is going to destroy all of them, it looks evil to some of the world, but in a time of violence I.E. the rebellion in Russia it may seem plausible to more people than it would in a time of peace.

To answer you second question Russia already had a large army and he would not have had to build on it much to make able to do what he wants it to do, Hitler did the same thing just before WWII, and you have never lived in year 2156 so you wouldn’t know about these things would you?

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 11:15:52 PM »
Still, any nation using violence as a means to eliminate violence is going to draw suspicion(sp?), and even now any nation seeming to gain any kind of power at all is wiped out as fast as possible, by 2156 this will only be worse.

As for the setting, it could work, would be kind of hard to get an actual game out of it though, too general and powerful for most players.

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • http://roleplay.andromorphia.com/
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 12:10:12 AM »
Your only problem is pirate that American leaders would never let Zon get that far into Canada they would have nuked canada soil to save american were greedy like that.  Also the big things about the nations uniting would be racial violence man.  Albanians and Serbs hate eachother.  North Korea would never join capitalist south Korea.   You've got some gaping holes here that need to patched man, but its a pretty good start I like the idea.  Zon kinda reminds me of the Principality of Zion.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
yahhhh
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 12:47:17 AM »
Okay... GeoPoltical considerations aside, his very taking of the Russian Commonwealth, by revolution would of triggered a NATO invasion... We are currently treaty bound to assist any NATO member (which includes Russia) who asks for it.  All it takes is one phone call or the UN ambassador to say the word, and the world militaries will be "boots down" within 72 hours.  After all, Russia is still a nuclear power... and if nothing else... the UN/ US forces would be there to secure those weapons.

If that was some how stopped, China would of invaded, as they have stated they would do should any ex-soviet state attempt military action... mutual assured destruction would be the deterant for nuclear use.

If that was somehow stopped, okay then there would be a military build up....

In the light of the small probablility those responses did not occur, anything else is possible.

Might I suggest MindControl devices... Command and Conquer style...
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline kalabar

• Lord
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 09:56:41 AM »
If he did that, then it will not be realistic...Sorry i just have to post some times, but anyways, i like the Idea..and Moonhunter, how would he go about controling every ones minds with one devise, and if he would use more then one device how will he get the money, and be able to transfer it to all the peoples heads....
-If you want me to think outside the box, then can you please open the box and let me out-

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 11:59:42 AM »
First of all, Snipes and Luke, I think that, A., you have too much faith in the United States, and, B., you assume too much.
Many third-world countries are rising in power right now. I don't see them being wiped out.
Also, you have to let him finish. That isn't the end of the story.

Remember, when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME!

Oh, and Kalabar..You have to actually READ THE POST before you critique it. Where in that post did it say anything about Zon wanting money?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 12:52:36 PM »
"THIS MY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!"  

Cap'n you don't have enough faith in America you don't know man.   There would be black ops guys after Zon if he ever came that close to taking control of Russia.  Seriously there has to be alot of explanations for this.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 07:27:27 PM »
Well how about the fact that 3/4 of the American/Canadian army is locked in combat in Europe, and the reason that black ops guys didn't kill Zon before he took power is because he looked like a fairly good leader to take the recently overthrown Russian pres. (oh yeah, I’ll talk more about this in a future post, but it has become illegal for any countries to own nukes and there has been no trace of nukes on the earth for 23 years.)

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 08:24:53 PM »
It wouldn't work to outlaw nukes, they are outlawed.  But the each country is slowly "dissarming" them.  The US would never allow someone to take their nukes maybe there could be technological developement that made them useless.  If you've read Tom Clany's the Cardnal in the Kremlin the russians try to develope a ground based laser to blow missels out of the air.

Also there is a new technology in the developement by the US gov. It's a small IR laser that can cause an explosive to explode.  You could have one country develope an advanced version of this maybe like a spacebased version on a satelite of maybe a ground based turrent, that could shoot nukes out of the air.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 08:35:04 PM »
Cool idea I'll take it into consideration.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2004, 11:16:03 AM »
Captain: Third world countries gaining a firmer political standing and a nation such as Russia suddenly building a vast army and ANNOUNCING they plan to eliminate violence (through violence no less) are two completely different things entirely. Also, every nation is so scared of the others (including the U.S) that alliances of that magnitude wouldn't have a very good chance of suceeding.

With regards to nukes, Luke's right in that won't work. Even if they were banned, many countries would still have them, illegal terrorist groups would probably have some on the black market, and many nations (especially Russia) don't even know where all of their nuclear weaponry is!

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2004, 04:07:10 PM »
Quote from: "Sniperspy"
Still, any nation using violence as a means to eliminate violence is going to draw suspicion

Hmmm...true. The US certainly attracts a lot of suspicion from the rest of the world  :wink:

I like the premise. I think there are ways around the difficulties people are posing. For instance, how could someone stage a coup d'état in such a powerful country as Russia without the rest of the world stepping in?

1. If the revolutionaries planned their takeover long and hard enough and encouraged the defection of enough high-ranking generals they could act within a single day and ensure secure borders to stave off the anticipated onslaught of UN/NATO troops. Maybe it would be even more effective if Zon waited until the rest of the world was at war (maybe America's turned its attention to some other "rebel state" and he's secretly funding the rebels to keep the war going for long enough to distract America).

Maybe the US were even backing Zon? It's not unknown for US-backed regimes to turn against them. Just look at the Taliban...

2. Maybe the rest of the world is not in a position to hit back. Perhaps global warming has cast Northern Europe into arctic chaos, and the US is inundated with its refugees? Or maybe a drastic crash in the economy has meant that the US cannot fund military involvement in Russia. Maybe, following Bush's controversial actions in Iraq, America has been forced to sign up to international agreements (under threat of sanctions) which require more debate before a situation is dealt with rashly via military action.

As for nuclear disarmament, maybe the US itself has decreed the use of nuclear weaponry illegal: maybe there's been a terrorist nuclear attack on the States so the President has been forced to deplore these weapons and has launched a military campaign against them. Obviously people might still own nukes (even the US), but wouldn't want to own up to it...

Just some thoughts...there are many possibilities as to why Pirate Penguin's plan is feasible (without even needing to resort to mind-control). As he says, the world will not look the same in 2156. I mean, looking back the equivalent distance in history, who'd have thought America would turn out quite so powerful as it is today?

Anyway, I was wondering why Quebec decided to go with Zon?

ephe!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2004, 05:06:13 PM »
I think using technology to elimnate the use of nukes is still the best way to stop nuclear war otherwise it would adventualy happen.  

I kinda see the whole nations uniting turning into a command and concure thing where there are two superpowerful alliances I.E. GDI and NOD.  

I think it would be better if the nations stayed seperate because if they were all warring with eachother it would be even more feasable for Zon to come to power.

I think the best way for Zon to come to power is using some sort of mech or mobile suit infantry that no other country has seen before.  This is 2156 ephe is right things will have changed.  

A mech is the perfect thing for taking over russia, look their large one can hold and protect a much larger area of land than a soldier or tank ever could.  With a few thousand mechs you could control russia instead of having to using billions of troops and millions of tanks and aircraft, the mech would be the best way for Zon to take control.  

But it shouldn't be as powerful as anime themed mobile suits more along the lines of weaker Battletech mech that would provide excellant power but with a little enough man power that a coup could be pulled off from a splinter group in the gov.  

I think it should be bipedal but have four legged vairants out there and there should be a few different types at first then as each country races to develope something like it there could many different types that are all roughly equal in power and speed.  Thid would also be a way for Zon to fend off the vast armies of the US and NATO.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2004, 06:16:24 PM »
Yes, in fact Zon does have a much more powerful arsenal than other countries. He has an abundant supply of Delvexium (An Element discovered in 2095, that turns to plasma very quickly when sufficient heat is supplied) and has the largest plasma arsenal. I will go into more of this later.

Also I have a question, if I want to talk about stuff like the cultures, economies, and weaponry would I just put it is this thread or do I make a new one?

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
Broken Nations
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2004, 09:14:10 PM »
I would work more on the setting first, describe the nations you have then delve into their details.  I would keep them here for now since you don't have you own forum to keep them seperated from other people's threads.  So I'd post them here for now.