llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Magic  (Read 3189 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Magic
« on: March 01, 2004, 05:59:52 PM »
Just some general notes on magic.  Will make them more coherent later.

Magic is everpresent, but controllable magic is a rarity.  One must be born with a sensitivity to magic and usually a talent for shaping it.  

Controlling magic is an exhausting activity.  Those who control magic are called mages or magicians.  Wizards and witches are those with no inborn magical ability who learn to control magic.

Magic works much better when it is allowed to act on it's own will.  Those who simply act as a conduit for magic are called wilderlings.  Wilderling magic is unpredictable and chaotic, and the caster may not even realize they channel magic.

If a magician channels too much magical energy into a controlled spell, they risk magical burn-out or death (or possibly both).  Wilderlings also risk burnout, but the risk is much lower for them.  Burn-out means that the person in question can no longer channel magical energy.

Magic runs in a natural network of ley lines.  The ley lines run everywhere, and can be at any spot on the earth or above or below it.  The closer one is to a ley line, the more raw power they have access to.  Wilderling magic tends to be much more spectacular the closer one is to a ley line.  The risk of burnout is also much greater the closer you get.  

Magic users are generally rare, and as such, can either mass great political power, or will be hunted, depending on race and location.  All wilderlings have the capability of learning to become magicians if they recognize their power and choose to.  However, this does not mean that one has to be a wilderling in order to become a magician or wizard.

Controlled magic obeys the Laws of Magic. (Law of Association, Law of Balance, Law of Contagion, Law of Finite Senses, Law of Identification, etc.  See The Mystica: Laws of Magic for information about the laws of magic.)  

Alchemy is not the same thing as magic, although it may operate on some of the same principles.  Alchemy is primitive chemistry.

It is very rare for a magician or a wizard to become very powerful, because most are either killed or experience burn out before long.  Every time a magician or a wizard tries to control magic in order to shape a spell, there is a chance the power will be too much.  This varies directly with the amount of power called and the complexity of the spell.  If there is too much power, one of four things happens: the magic user loses control of the spell (a wild surge); the magic user maintains control of the spell, but is burned out; the magic user loses control of the spell and is burned out; the magic user is killed.

Wilderlings face similar dangers.  They can call on magic, but cannot specify the effect.  Generally, the effect will favor the caster, however.  A wilderling can also attempt to specify an effect, but then face a severer risk than magicians, due to a lack of training.  Sometimes, magic will be channeled without the conscious knowledge of the wilderling.  In this case, the risk of death or burn-out is lessened.  In the case of too much power being channeled, wilderlings only face death or burnout, since they generally don't try to control magic.

Generally, the more conscious effort is made to control magic, the greater the risk that something bad will happen.  This is further affected by training, race (some races have  a greater inborn affinity for magic), proximity to ley lines, and other factors.

In populated areas, the ley lines are fairly well mapped, but they do change.

Any thoughts?
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Magus

• Knight
    • Awards
Magic
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 04:44:48 PM »
mine arnt necisarily supplementary to your, but here are some theries on magic that i have heard. These are just suggestions that you may want to use as theories to what magic is.

Magic is not channel through oneself, but rather called, from a different plane of existance. meaning that for a fireball spell, a rift in the dementions between a demention that consists of fire and our world.

Magic is born within every being, and it is trough riggerous training that a person is able to draw that power from within themselves. The use of this ability leaves the caster fitigued, which leads to the idea of MP

This is one that i made up. Magic is an everpresent microscopic force. What a magician does, is focus that force into a field in which upon the gathering of that force, a magical spell takes form. In a different explanation, magic is a s#it load of small particles that appear as dust (without help of a magical spell) and a magician is able to focus those particals into one form, a spell.
the road keeps on telling me to go on

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • http://roleplay.andromorphia.com/
    • Awards
Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 05:38:27 PM »
Magus said this:

Magic is born within every being, and it is trough riggerous training that a person is able to draw that power from within themselves. The use of this ability leaves the caster fitigued, which leads to the idea of MP

I think Ria is trying to work to a low magic realm Magus.  But your idea has merit but I would like to make a small change.  Instead of being born with "magic" every person has a roughly same amount "life energy" propertional to what they are:  Human; Lots of Life Energy. Beats/Animals: Less proportional by size.  

Life Energy would be a power source similair to ley line power but it comes from living beings, but you would have to kill the human/beast/animal to get it's life energy.  Of course the only people able to tap this would be mages, magicians, wizerds, or witches.  Because you would have to say a spell to direct the life energy into what ever you wanted to power.  

For example:  A small battle occurs, the soldiers are using ranged magical weapons like blaze sticks. (Blaze Sticks ar wooded sticks that look similiar to rifle and are powered by a mage from a ley line or sacrifce from life energy.)  Most of blaze sticks are running low on charges or shots.  They capture an enemy soldier.  The mage could repower the soldiers blaze sticks by having the soldiers lay the man out and stake him to the ground then have them lie their sticks on the man then the mage would kill the man while the chanting a simple spell then the life energy from the man instead of dispersing would go into the sticks to be used as charges.  

There could be many different applications the above was just an example.  

It's just a suggestion.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 06:04:37 PM »
Well, magic is in everything, including life energy.  Although, I have to say, I like the concept of being able to get at more through killing things.  An excellent source of power for the evil magic users, and dovetails quite nicely with some other things I had in mind, and will post later.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline very_veiwtiful_joe

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 06:25:37 AM »
fate is pre-ordained i believe and chance is yet to be seen.
The strong are not always strong. The mighty are not always mighty. But the Wisdom of the Wise lasts forever.

Offline very_veiwtiful_joe

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 07:25:46 AM »
There are two main types of magic. These are Greater magic and Lesser magic.[color=#][/color] The mages of lesser magic use props to channel their magic such as wands, scrolls and so forth. The followers of the greater path usually see that there is a "well" of magic that anyone can reach into and put to use. Their power comes through use of the different "planes" of the mind. I will refer to these planes as elements.

Fire-The use of physical to the body/items magic such as healing or dealing a blow

Ice/Water-The use of mental magic such as mind blows and future sight

Earth-The use of elemental magic such as earthquakes or firestorms

Air-The use of physical to anything magic such as moving, lifting or levitating things.
The strong are not always strong. The mighty are not always mighty. But the Wisdom of the Wise lasts forever.

Offline Valyssine Asdale

• Nomad
    • Awards
Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 02:40:22 PM »
How about different sorts of magic? It might be useful to set out some clear guidelines of what is magic and what isn't, how to recognize a mage, and how are mages, once recognized, trained?

Let me make an example here. Take my character Val here. Say she has music magic. What is musc magic? An almost empathic ability to portray emotions through music? How about  geomancy, or necromancy, or foresight?

Just a thought. I'm new, so I hope nobody minds.