llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any GMs or players who use Klooge Werks or ScreenMonkey?  (Read 1264 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline paulkdad

• Nomad
    • Awards
Any GMs or players who use Klooge Werks or ScreenMonkey?
« on: February 28, 2004, 11:21:38 PM »
I've finally given up on getting a local gaming group going, and I'm going to run an AD&D game with the old group over the internet. I've been looking for a way to handle combat, and I've found a couple of interesting options:

http://www.kloogeinc.com/werks/

--and--

http://www.nbos.com/products/screenmonkey/screenmonkey.htm

Are there any GMs or players out there who have used either of these programs? Or, if there are other products that can do the same thing for less, that would be even better! Thanks!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Any GMs or players who use Klooge Werks or ScreenMonkey?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 06:35:30 AM »
I know I have seen the first one at least mentioned, but I am not sure anybody here has tried them. The experience I have is that those type of systems are more for those that want to fight and keep it organized. The types of games I, and many others on this board, play are more pointed towards character development and the actual plot of the game. Battles are almost an annoying necessity a lot of the time. I speak for myself for the most part. While they look really interesting, I don't think I would ever use them on any online game I would run or play in. Although I would probably want to give it a try to apese my curiousity.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline paulkdad

• Nomad
    • Awards
For me, ScreenMonkey is the answer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 08:30:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Actually, the integrated chat features of either program makes it equally useful for roleplaying or combat. Whether you're looking at a social or a tactical encounter, the purpose of these programs is to make encounters easier (both for the GM and the players). As with everyone here, my time is at a premium, so this is a good thing.

Anyway, I may have answered my own question, so I'll post the answer as well:

Both programs allow the players to connect to the GM's computer as the game server. Klooge Werks seems to offer more features to those wanting to customize the program to their specific campaigns/systems. OTOH, it also demands more in terms of licensing and system requirements (i.e., the players also run the program on their computers--GM + 4 players = $100). ScreenMonkey only requires the GM to purchase a license, and allows the players to connect through any web browser (I use Mozilla Firebird/Firefox, and it worked fine for me--GM + # players = $32). One of my players has a fairly old computer, so I'm going with ScreenMonkey.

At first glance, it looks good. It allows for the importing of custom map images and the GM can determine how much (or how little) the players see. Chat features can also be customized, and the program incorporates an integrated dice roller. Even if you view combat as a burden, I think anyone running an internet campaign would find a program like this useful. It would obviously allow you and your players to get through the tactical sequences more quickly, so you could get back to the stuff you really enjoy.