llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Strolens Citadel] Plight of the scribes (OOC)  (Read 16724 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
[Strolens Citadel] Plight of the scribes (OOC)
« on: February 26, 2004, 07:39:43 AM »
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The citadel of Strolen is truly a wondrous place. People arrive in it from all dimensions, and are not forced to stay at all, though many do simply due to the pleasantness of it. It is a tranquil nexus, where the denizens happily converse with each other and share imaginitive ideas and their brilliance. Many who enter this nexus take up the occupation of bieng scribes, wherein they write on a magical papyrus (devised by the lord Strolen), descriptions of various objects and ideas, and store them in the few buildings which accomodate them: The Items library; the Characters Sanctuary; the Settings Museum; and the Ideas guild.

These scribes have the ability to invoke the powers of these scrolls at will - calling upon Items for them to use, or summoning creatures for aid or protection. Sending people to various settings or changing a characteristic of someone by invoking the powers of an idea. The use of these scrolls are very taxing, however, and only two or three may be used in the period of a day, lest one render themselves in a comatose state for months on end. Once a scroll is invoked, it will magically burn away to nothing until a scribe gets ahold of the weapon, person, setting or idea, and uses the powers given by their benevolant lord 'Strolen', to reverse the effects, once again placing it back in written word to be stored again.
Yes, this nexus is truly a terrific place where, dispite the occasional roudy individuals which take up residence, everybody gets along harmoniously.

But then, One cannot own paradise, without others trying to take it for their own.

From other dimensions in this vast, vast universe, comes others occasionally - not to take up residence and stay under the rule of Strolen and his select few lords, but who are jealous of the greatness in the citadel, and choose to raid the town to try and thieve the valuable stores of knowledge in each of those buildings. These evil biengs can be of all shapes and sizes, from furballs, to mighty dragons. Usually, they are of little problem, as they are disorganised and can be beaten back using the power of the scrolls, but What if, one day, a rival nexus (not as powerful as Strolens citadel, of course, but still powerful) were to form a group or clan of some sort and invade? How would the people of this Citadel hold together? What tricks will they use? What scrolls will they invoke? Should one destroy the 'overmind' of this group, of course, the rest of the forces would fall into disarray and become confused - therefore making it little trouble to dispatch the remainder of the army.

All Characters must play as themselves - not to pick out anyone specifically but if, for example, you happen to be a penguin in some fool costume... lets say a pirate costume... that would be your physical makeup :D Or if you happened to be a large dragon taking residence in a barn? Thats what you would be.
But penquins can be wily and sneaky, and underestimated, and dragons can be too large for their own good at times...
Plus the physical powers of people doesnt matter too much when they have the power of the scrolls to use, not to mention the several magi within the Citadel who have access to their powers to an extent.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[OOC]People may only invoke scrolls that are actually in the citadel - they can 'summon' certain scrolls to their hands with ease due to a categorising system using numbers that Strolen divised (Eg, uttering the words "npc 32" will bring the character 32 scroll to the players hand - This is so people can look up that item a bit more easily too) The readings of the name of the item/character etc will be required to summon that object, and the scroll must be in hand and opened to do it. Nobody can call upon a scroll which has already been used in the RP.[/OOC]

-------------------------

Please dont create quick new items and the like for the purpose of the RP. Dont use this Roleplay as an excuse to create boring and munchie items/characters.

The scrolls will crumble away to nothing if the scrolls do not incoorperate an order of balance and sensibility about what is written on them (e.g, what happens to those non-descript items that 'disappear' from the archives every now and then)

This RP will be the first ive GM'ed so please excuse my ignorance =) Captainpenguin will be co-GMing it with me, I believe, so he can pick up where I fail.

This section is for OOC comments, suggestions, questions, thoughts and ideas for the RP, And Since I don't really have any of it planned out, I will be counting on comments to help the game unravel =)

--- A possible thought for the RP is the group having to cleanse out each of the four buildings of scroll-storing from the enemies in them, to stop them stealing them, and then find the 'ringleader' for it. Please post thoughts, etc... ---
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • http://roleplay.andromorphia.com/
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 08:39:22 AM »
So we play as oursleves right? So if I'm a Dark Force Renegade would a lightsaber be my standerd weapon, like Cap'n has got a wood sword and grog. Or would i have to summon that too?

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 11:56:51 AM »
Just a technical point.  I'd like to ask that those who "summon" scrolls also link to the submission in question, to make our lives a little easier.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 04:57:36 PM »
How do you make links?

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 06:40:58 PM »
Yes you would have a lightsaber and no you wouldnt have to 'summon' it on, Luke. Though one thing: In this realm, the 'force' is not used to hold everything together, so basically you would be a swordsman with a flashy, dangerous weapon :)

And to make a link to an item you are going to summon, just go into the page with the description of the item, then copy the URL in the top bar:
http://www.strolen.com/items/viewitem.php?item_id=266&offset=0&order=updated&dir=Desc&index=1

or to make things even easier, you can make a link using just a bit of text, by using the 'URL' command, which is [ URL=link ] text [ /URL ], but without the spaces in the [ ] tags.

Shadoweagle summons the scroll of Elenus, Sword of Truth.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 07:58:03 PM »
Oh, another thing: If you would like to join And dont already have Write permissions in the Mod forums, just say so in here, plus maybe give a small description of what you are.

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 12:35:51 AM »
Ok thats cool.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Oh Joy...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 04:49:30 AM »
Okay I have to join...

One magic using theriothrope, with some orb scrolls plus one, coming up.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 08:00:45 PM »
Hold up...
I'm browsing for suitable "scrolls".
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Anyone... anyone ... Bueller? Bueller?
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 06:51:34 AM »
Ummmm.  What happened?  I posted. Nobody else has.  I don't want to post my next "move" until someone else has a chance.  Unless someone throws something odd into the mix at my location, I pretty much have my next three or so entries scripted in my head... ready to be typed.  So... where is everyone else?  

Anyone... anyone ... Bueller?  Bueller?

Hello????
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 08:58:42 AM »
Well shadoweagle said he was gonna GM our hits and misses so I'm wating for him to respond.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 05:43:33 PM »
Gah - sorry. Ive been all over the place last few days, havent had a chance to log in.

Another thing, in the next few weeks, I may not be on as often, So I apologise if I don't post for a few days at a time.

Also, I won't post until Captain has - dont wanna leave him out :P Anyone is welcome to join at any time, by the way.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Sigh...
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2004, 12:19:12 AM »
Will somebody post already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to just keep going on without any of you.  If you are waiting for something to happen, will you sound off in here?  I would prefer not to post until a few moments go by elsewhere in the setting, but I will just post soon if nobody else does.

So... to rephrase...

Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post! Post!
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2004, 12:25:39 AM »
Ok because Shadoweagle hasn't posted in a week or more I'm not completely sure but I'm going to RP my own hits and misses because he's been gone so long.  Once he's back I'll stop so we can keep the plot moving.  

I'm not hijacking the thread just allowing for it to move forward.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Am I the only player who cares?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 12:23:20 AM »
I know you are all hitting the site upon occasion. I sense heartbeats. I am not looking for posts every day, but a post a week is not too much to ask.  So what is up with this game.?  Shall we just scrap it so we don't look stupid?

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 08:42:18 AM »
I care dude but shadow has been saying hes been having a busy rl, I dont know where Ria is.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2004, 02:45:16 PM »
Sorry, been hella busy.  I posted though.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2004, 06:27:19 AM »
Hm, so captains away, and Ria's busy, im not on that often myself anymore... We need this RP to shift forth :) I like the armorican kingdoms RP's. I think its Ria's turn to post :D

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 08:43:27 PM »
Count me in, I am ready to play.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 09:52:32 PM »
Waahahahahahaaa :D I've lured the great Strolen from his hiding place!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2004, 04:14:48 PM »
I reread this. Is my summoning alright? Not sure I am following the instructions too clearly.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that only 3 or so summonings of items a day? Is that true? Is summoning meaning what I am doing or even if you have the scroll? Am I cheating? I probably shouldn't have tried to read the instructions again. :)

Level 3

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 08:39:33 AM »
Hehe :D

Well, to start, im gonna say that the structure of this rp is very flexible, if you don't do something exactly how I envisioned it, I'll work along with it. The idea behind the limit of the scrolls is that they take up energy to use, or something of the like. I put this in, basically, just so people cannot summon an army or suit themselves up with the greatest items. Naturally, those older in the keep will be able to use more scrolls, as they have had more time to adjust to how they work. And im sure Strolen, the one who CONCIEVED of the idea of the scrolls, would be able to use quite a lot more than, say Shadoweagle.

Maybe it should be based on a loose formula :P Something like Max scrolls used per day = 2 + (1 per 4 months in the citadel)

Generally, I'd prefer that the person had the scroll in hand and maybe run a finger along the title of the scroll or something, whilst speaking its name, just so people can't just speak up and *pouf* theres a Sword in their hands or whatever. All the same, I think it would be possible that anyone is able to 'summon' the scrolls they have written personally to their hands, but if they want to use another persons scroll they'll have to find it.

(maybe the reason behind why can summon their own scrolls is, if they have a flash if inspiration of an addition to an item, they can readily bring their scroll up and add to it.)

Also, I imagined that once the scroll is read, it burns away to nothing, or disappears in some other manner until the item which was conjured, is returned (either banished, or time-limit ran out). This is just so people cannot read the scroll thousands of times, making duplicates.

-----------

Hope that answered some questions :P But all in all, remember that im flexible with it. After all, It's not my citadel :D I shouldnt be telling people how its designed ^_~

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 03:38:20 PM »
Not sure about the others, but CP and I are waiting for a decision on how the ring touching him will affect him.

Level 3

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: [Strolens Citadel] Plight of the scribes (OOC)
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 04:06:37 PM »
Well, it's been approximately two years since this game was last posted to, so it can officially be called "dead". I, however, have discovered that a few of the former players wish to restart it. This brings to mind a few questions as to how we'd do so.

1) Do we start over completely, or just go off of the last post within the game?
2) How do we handle those Scroll Summons(TM)? I understand that it's (mostly) freeform, but having generic guidelines might help out.
3) Who's going to GM it? Scras and CP (again), or someone else?

Definitely post here with suggestions and comments if you wish to play.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Re: [Strolens Citadel] Plight of the scribes (OOC)
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006, 04:42:14 PM »
I want to play again.  Freeform would be okay... we just need to remember that if you have a more powerful baseline, then you need to throw greater threats against yourself.

GMs would be nice, but if not... we could work out a general plot and freeform our way. We need to actually have someone playing the big bads (or designate players for each of them).  A little organization and we could play again!

Along these lines.... we could play a Torg-esk (background not game) scenario, when the Citadel is attacked on multiple fronts by various Big Bads (from various times and places) working together to conqueor this place of power.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©