llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Magus' laws of magic  (Read 8868 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Magus

• Knight
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« on: February 21, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »
You cant drop a fireball a foot away and expect not to get burned

Magic hurts your friends, theyll hate you if you summon a meteor storm in the middle of the main battle.

you cant chants the words to a spell in public without being look upon as either a cultist, or a retard

Magic is only for those that can contain their emotion, because a pissed mage will do something much more drastic than a pissed ranger.

A mage would lead every party, but they always seem to lose the arm wrestle.

haste has long term effects on the target

Dark magic and light magic depend on how you use them

Everyone is born with the gift of magic, most loose it to stupidity

Be sure that you don't acidentally summon acid to heal your allies

If I spell is the only thing that can get you out of a situation, youre sure to fail

Remeber that a magically summoned parachute has a time limit

Pernounciation is everything with a verbal spell

With all the requirements for a spell, no wonder we have to go to school to learn them

Some of these arn't as much laws, as they are statings.

Hunger is what will bring you down, litteraly.

spells backfire when you don't want them to

When chosing spells, the most powerfull one in never the answer

Never try to burn a fire elemental

Spells attain from gods are not spells. there hallucinations

You arnt supposed to know how spells work, so dont ask

If you don't get some of these, its because not all of them were ment for comedy
the road keeps on telling me to go on

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 04:34:00 AM »
Quote from: "Magus"
Pernounciation is everything with a verbal spell

haha! In the same way spelling is everything with a magical scroll...

ephe!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

DarkForceKli

Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 07:47:16 PM »
Magic is also the key to success. without magic, everyone's melee @$$ would be kicked.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 07:58:58 PM »
Not if no one has magic.  I'm actually rather a fan of taking away player magic and seeing what happens.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

DarkForceKli

Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 08:09:57 PM »
But who is the one that can save you from a huge @$$ dragon? a mage, thats who. who heals when items run out? a mage that's who.

DarkForceKli

Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 11:42:39 PM »
besides, a party without mages has a lot of weaknesses. not many people can fuse together something that can cast reflect, shell, and a bunch of other spells. it might be fun to have a totally melee party, but it can be costly

Offline Grevenon

• Journeyman
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 08:06:42 PM »
I agree with Ria. sometimes taking away the player magic can be really fun.
"Dave, I'm gonna race 'em"

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 09:56:04 PM »
Less magic equals better game.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 11:29:51 PM »
I have never liked a lot of magic. I like it when magic is still mystical instead of every other soul being able to cast spells. Spells, to me, turns a game into a game of mechanics instead of concentrating on the story, plot, and character development.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 10:52:33 AM »
yes, magic can just get in the way of most campaigns. Usually the mages start getting out of control with their spells, and then you have melee people dieing (sp?) every round because they have to be up close and personal with monsters powerful enough for the stupid mages that hide in corners and cast spell after spell.

Quote from: "DarkForceKli"
besides, a party without mages has a lot of weaknesses. not many people can fuse together something that can cast reflect, shell, and a bunch of other spells. it might be fun to have a totally melee party, but it can be costly

That is the exact reason I don't like mages the most. Without these things people have to be careful with their resources, think every action through, and actually make sacrifices when they use items of any kind. With a mage who cares how many times you do things or how stupid they are? You have a mage to take care of you, and the game becomes pure magic battles instead of any storyline whatsoever.
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!

Offline Grevenon

• Journeyman
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 06:51:13 PM »
also for more magic stuff, the 'Spice up your magic' in essays, grouped tips, etc also has some good ideas of magic. mage/magic oriented people should check them out.
   Although i like to see some awesome magic executed and kick some enemy's ass, i also like to use melee and melee skills to do devastating damage. Mostly, i like to play with mages and melee combined, but it can be nice to play with only melee too.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 08:35:51 PM »
Let me just point out that roleplaying isn't about doing damage, nor about killing stuff.
It's about being a different person, telling a story, living a different life.

Offline Grevenon

• Journeyman
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 10:28:28 PM »
that is absolutely true. besides the fantastic storyline on some of those, you have to admit that some spells can be pretty cool, even if it isn't about doing damage and killing stuff.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 10:48:15 PM »
Psh - Web. Confusion. blindness.

3 off the top of my head. None lethal, nor directly dangerous in any way, but all extremely valuable. Web restricts/slows movement allowing more time to think tactics, or even use a projectile to attack the foe. Confusion can cause foes to attack their own allies, thinning out the opposition and making another easy target. And all people rely too much on their sense of sight, cut it off and they'll flail around aimlessly, creating a hazard for themselves and their teammates.

I'm not even sure why I posted this in here just then, apart from the fact I am defending the one thing which most of my ideas come from: magic.

Personally, I dislike 'uber-magic' type things, anyway. Fireball, meteor and what-have-you. Such things require no tactics apart from aiming, and perhaps making sure you don't have splash damage to injure yourself. A world with little offensive magic, but rather passive/tactical magic would be quite enjoyable.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Grevenon

• Journeyman
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 11:21:28 PM »
yes, defensive magic can become really handy in bad situations, especially when you run into something that you weren't planning for.

For me, i like to use offensive magic as much as i like to use defensive. i mainly use offensive in a dire situation when i need to end it quickly, or if the enemy has a major weakness to a certain element. Defensive is great for when the party runs into some big thing that likes to give out hard hits. But more than offensive magic, i prefer to use melee skills and attacks. melee + defensive magic can be an awesome combo, and one that i like to use in most situations.

But mostly you are correct, shadow, and i can't argue with you on the point that little offensive and more tactical magic is fun.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 07:42:52 PM »
Anything can be an offensive measure if used properly.  Right now I'm playing a character that knows no magic but some seemingly useless cantrip type things.  I enjoy the challenge of using these effectively as offensive spells.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 08:49:57 PM »
Magic is supposed to be mystical isn't it? Mysterious? Difficult?
So what is so mystical, mysterious, and magical about shooting a big fireball?

Offline Grevenon

• Journeyman
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 07:38:56 PM »
I don't know...is a fireball mystical? or is it just some ordinary thing with no significance?

The way you use the spell depends if it is "mysterious" or difficult. "Mysterious" magic can be like communicating with some undead reaper that you need to pass to get to the final point of some mission. Difficult can be focusing the magic to lift some enormous object out of the path and chuck it aside the road.

In other words, the description of magic comes from the way that it is used.

Offline Grevenon

• Journeyman
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 07:49:33 PM »
I'm not trying to tell you, in a lot of words, that you are wrong, i was just stating an idea. Everyone has a different point of view on magic(for you mystical and mysterious and me cool and fun), and it's good that everyone has a different POV on it. If every outlook on magic was the same, it might make people focus only on one part of magic and not allow diversity into the game.

Magic will truly be fun if you use the magic that you like to use and the way you like to use it. If you do this, magic will add a fun touch to the game. If not, magic can become utterly boring and unwanted.

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 09:42:14 PM »
Though I am inclined to agree with your POV on Magic. In my opinion in many games that share the view piont of using magic whenever they become extremely boring instead of interesting. where as if it is found found far and few between it posses that mysterious allure, and it doesn't become a crutch for brains!
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Magus

• Knight
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2004, 02:08:23 PM »
Look, as you all know, i am a strict believer of magic. My previous post was deleted for reasons that will remain annonymous, But I'm going to have to ask you that if you are going to dis magic, than please do it else where. That way, i won't have to go medieval on all you alls.
the road keeps on telling me to go on

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2004, 03:41:42 PM »
I think I've figured it out.  It isn't magic we object to (or at least me), it's the overuse of magic and the way using magic is handled in RPGs that we object to.  To my mind at least, magic should be some mysterious, but d**n impressive force that's reletively rare.  If there's too much of it, it's no where near as impressive.  Walking out of a magical portal is only impressive the first forty times.  If magic is overused, or handled badly (which remains my complaint with magic in RPGs) or both, it's not impressive any more.  I mean, really, is any one REALLY impressed by something like "I cast Fireball!"  If I recall correctly, the Magic Missle spell of D&D is so overused it's become a joke.  That's not right.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2004, 04:17:19 PM »
Yeah! What Ria said!

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2004, 07:06:36 PM »
Yeah! What Ria said!

I try to avoid the use of conventional magic at all, anyway. I always attempt to twist it in some way or another - Such as me mage Tarquin, who warps all his spells so they cause peculiar effects. And the ghost in my Revenant ring which infuses all spells with 'spirit magic'.

To me, magic should not be something which people can fling around. It takes great stamina to cast, and so the spells must be chosen carefully to avoid exhaustion early in the RP.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
Magus' laws of magic
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2004, 09:34:28 PM »
:D Ria did an excellent job of portraying the message that we were trying to get across! I enjoy a RPG that contains magic, But it is commonly overused and it becomes an escape to every problem which makes the game become predictable and boring!
      Magic is good if it is used resposibly. :idea:
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©