Idea Guild > Sagely Advice

Dragon-Lords

(1/4) > >>

Agar:
Fantasy's take on dragons has never been up to the standards of power and majesty I have imagined. The dungeons and dragons movie had them as animals, dragonslayer had theirs as a tyrannical beast, dragon heart had him as a misunderstood fugitive.

Dragon-lords are a large step above any other type of dragon previous. Their powers are near godlike and their vunerabilities few. A limited number exist, merely one for every day of the moon's cycle. Each dragon-lord hatched from thier egg on a different phase of the moon and under that phase has the ability to reach for extra insight, gleaning wisdom as a seer. Also under thier birth moon, dragon-lords are vunerable to damage, but even then only by powerful magics. The dragon-lords will not lightly let this knowledge circulate, even to those rare persons they believe can harness the power to strike at their foes. Immune to aging is not invunerability and the weakness of thier birth moon is their only chink in never ending life.

Of the the thirty-one dragon-lords, only five have passed on. One to a juvenile war on his neighbor, the attacking dragon-lord sought to use the insight of his birth moon to aid him in his campaign, he instead was the first dragon-lord to discover his weakness. Four others fell in a war with demons. The demons came to feed off the emotions and powers of the creatures of the plane and found the dragon-lords an undying source of food for them. The dragon-lords were ignorant of their weakness, except for the slayer, and passively watched the demons destroy all life around them, smiting any demon fool enough to pester them. When the demons ran out of life to eat, they turned en masse to the dragon-lords. The smiting became a bore and some of the dragon-lords holds were breached. Immune to the demon's ministrations, the dragon-lords sought to outlast them with patience. At least, untill the first dragon-lord with an invaded home saw his birth moon in the sky. Four dragon-lords fell to the demons before the remaining could form a pact and unite thier magics into a spell to banish all the demons back across the planes.

The dragon-lords watched this genisis-apocolypse several more times, as life evolved and was raised up to sentient beings, only to be wiped from the face to the planet as the planar tides swept the demon's dimension close enough to the dragon-lord's for them to cross. The demons are only interested in the forces of living beings and have left the relics of the ages to rot in thier wake. It is in the ghosts of these lost civilizations that the current seintient beings found salvation. A scholar of the past discovered the approaching plane of demons, but it was to late to save them. The humanoids discovered his writings and approached the dragon-lords in a plea for shelter.

The dragon-lords responded in various manners, some were benevolent, teaching the humanoids the ways to craft the defenses the dragon-lords used to safegaurd their holds while asking only for thanks in return. Some were tyrants, demanding slaves and blood sacrifices and only offer to shelter the beings that would serve them in their holds, not wanting to share their power with anyone. It was in this capacity of saviors to all the races that the dragon-lords truly became lords and allowed any creatures besides themselves to survive an apocolypse.

Some of the dragon-lords of note:

Phorse - A volcano dragon-lord seemingly risen from the lava, he has yellow and orange mottled eyes and a body covered in the black scales of a lava flow's crust. He is the only dragon-lord to slay another.

Sandin - A geyser dragon-lord, the only dragon-lord to be slain. Had a body made of flowing mist and steam.

Chaerna - A highlands dragon-lady. Mossy stones and brambles risen to oversee her lands.

I could really use some help thinking of other dragon-lords. I have an idea for a forest dragon-lord that looks like a redwood tree, but that's still only four out of twenty-seven. In general I was gonna have the dragon-lords born under a waning moon be "good" and those under a waxing moon be "bad". I thought a blind dragon-lord for the new moon would make a great kind of prophet for all the dragon lords, but I don't have any good ideas what to do with the full moon.

I'm also stuck on anything better to call the girl dragon-lords than dragon-lady.

Ria Hawk:
Dragon-maiden?  Wyvera? (If I remember correctly, wyverns were a form of dragon.)

Maybe the full moon dragon could be a far-seer.  As in one who sees everything that is currently happening, but not what will happen.  I dunno.

Strolen:
Dragella
Dragina
Drag Queen
Dragon Queen
Drasheon
Shragon
Little Miss
Lady of the Wing

Just brainstorming while I have a moment.
 :?:

I agree with your view that dragons are never depicted  how you would expect. Your statements are dead on. Give me a wise, old, respectfully, insanely powerful dragon that no Warrior, let alone an army could even hope to defeat. They should live on their own time and rarely would the existance of man even be worth a glance. Like us and roaches, they are around. We deal with them, but if they come near us we squash them or hire Orkin to destroy them all. Lets see how close a human settlement can get to a dragon home before it starts the extermination. :twisted:

Agar:
DRAG QUEEN??  :roll:  lol!

Dragon queen has a nice ring to it though. As for wyverns, I was gonna make them as close to dragons as we are to goldfish. They will fill the flying scaly beastie quite nicely. A dragon-lord might have one for a pet, but mostly only an evil dragon, and it's always just a thing it could gulp down on a bet.

Strolen:

--- Quote from: "Agar" ---The dragon-lords watched this genisis-apocolypse several more times, as life evolved and was raised up to sentient beings, only to be wiped from the face to the planet as the planar tides swept the demon's dimension close enough to the dragon-lord's for them to cross. The demons are only interested in the forces of living beings and have left the relics of the ages to rot in thier wake. It is in the ghosts of these lost civilizations that the current seintient beings found salvation. A scholar of the past discovered the approaching plane of demons, but it was to late to save them. The humanoids discovered his writings and approached the dragon-lords in a plea for shelter.

The dragon-lords responded in various manners, some were benevolent, teaching the humanoids the ways to craft the defenses the dragon-lords used to safegaurd their holds while asking only for thanks in return. Some were tyrants, demanding slaves and blood sacrifices and only offer to shelter the beings that would serve them in their holds, not wanting to share their power with anyone. It was in this capacity of saviors to all the races that the dragon-lords truly became lords and allowed any creatures besides themselves to survive an apocolypse.
--- End quote ---

Finally had time to *really* read it and I love this entire idea. The story you writing based on this? Sort of has the "wheel turns through the ages"  feel about it, but in itself it is entirely unique. Leaves the option to start at any time frame you could want and you can also justify pretty much any ancient whatevers. Rarely do some adventures have the "why is this here" explained and this idea just nicely ties everything together and answers all those questions.

Now the characters are in the time frame where this ancient knowledge has been found and it us up to them to track down and try and convince the Ancient Dragon-Lords to intervene once again on the behalf of mortals. Do they find the right dragon to ask, or did the pick a meany.

In the process finding any number of ancient cities buried in the rumble now inhabited by pretty much anything you can think of. Other beasts from other planes that shift close enough and dump them there. Perhaps a demon or two that got stuck and are biding their time till the return, but still won't deal with an intrusion on their claimed area.

I just love all the freedom it gives you!!

Interested in sharing this one with the Citadel. I like this as an overall history of the world for the interactive City we will get around to creating. The City that will eventually expand, as Manfred so eloquently explained.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version