llamaenterhear

Author Topic: something something...  (Read 148 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
something something...
« on: June 24, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
Hark!

valadaar, EchoMirage, and Murometz are going to play something here. As soon as we figure out what, and who is gm'ing whatever it is.

Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: something something...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »
update: maybe something like Elric, crossed with REH, with Burroughs mixed in for good measure.

Phantasmagoria!!!!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Old Dreams of New Adventures
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:21:01 PM »
Elric knew that everything that existed had its opposite. In danger he might find peace. And yet, of course, in peace there was danger. Being an imperfect creature in an imperfect world he would always know paradox. And that was why in paradox there was always a kind of truth. That was why philosophers and soothsayers flourished. In a perfect world there would be no place for them. In an imperfect world the mysteries were always without solution and that was why there was always a great choice of solutions.Michael Moorcock
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 08:53:55 PM »
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
New Dreams of Old Adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:16:04 PM »
That made me lol Scras. :D

Ok, it's all coming together in my head now...

We're playing the silver age of fantasy. The golden age being post-Tolkien. We'll be leaning more on the likes of Moorcock, Derleth, REH, Burroughs, CAS, Lieber, (maybe tiny touch of Lovecraft) and so on.

We'll use the map from Elric's world. Mainly because, despite the offered geography, the world is really vague with many places explained by one liners in Moorcock's Elric Saga. Which gives us room to explore and re-invent.

Without further ado, here's where you are...

http://cargocollective.com/colindriver/Old-Projects-Miscellaneous

Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Golden Creator 5 Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Elite Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 04:53:10 AM »
I started reading Elric, but it will take some time before I am done.

Thus, take anything below with a grain of salt :)

As for races, I understand there's humans and Melniboners, thus I am going for the former.

I had this idea:
A falling star of uncanny properties fell, and all born nine months henceforth were strange somehow. So it was with Gerhard, who found himself with the two-edged gift of being able to see things beyond mundane reality, and a strange inseparable companion, whom he affectionately calls his "Cellmate", though the presence has a name unfit for human vocal cords. Theirs is a strange symbiosis, where the entity learns of human condition through the man, and he in turn learns of the ephemeral.
The above are conductive to mastering magic in a world where its foundation is convincing supernatural entities to carry out your will; on the other hand, it is less conductive to a content, uneventful life when you have trouble keeping the supernatural out.

Gerhard has two major motivations:
> First of all, he wishes to investigate the comet that fell those twenty years ago, because the Cellmate does not recall, it was just thrust into this world. Gerhard wishes to investigate the other Star-born and the mysterious source of their gift.
> He wishes to investigate the rumors of a "Magic of Man" - supernatural power that humans can exert without the aid of demons or elementals.

Furthermore, he's looking into alchemy as a source to better control his talent, for too much perception can be as much of a problem as too little of it.

Appearance-wise, he's a tall, slender raven-haired man with eyes of blue, a distinguishing feature being that his entire colour palette is slightly off - the eyes a deeper shade of blue, the skin whiter, the hair a deeper black than is usual; this applies to the colour of blood too. As a younger son, he strove to appear slightly older, hence growing a beard; recently, this is helped by a few early strands of silver at his temples.
In astral realms, the nature of his passenger shines through the seeming. Instead of appearing as a glowing, semi-translucent version of himself, as others would; undulating eye-studded curtains of gossamer surround his astral self, his body embedded in eerie growth sprouting from his form (yes, it scared him too the first time).

While of a scholastic bend, Gerhard learned a good amount of pragmatism while aiding his father with book-keeping, setting up enterprises, and overseeing less important ventures. He's learned some practical skills while being stranded on an uninhabited island for half a year when one of the shipping ventures went less well than expected.

To the Filks, he may seem detached at times, caring far less about pomp than substance - which is expected when you know there's so much more to life than meets the (mundane) eye. His garb is more practical (and easier replaced) than the fancy costumes of his brothers - this is practical when you are an alchemist.

(to be completed)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:40:43 PM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »
Few things...

1. Very much like the character. Gives me ideas to entwine into the ideas I already had.
2. Gerhard as a name fits quite nicely into a Moorcock world.
3. You are a third son of a minor noble, of a small barony in Filkhar (see map), and as such, don't stand to inherit any lands or titles, freeing you up to "adventure". Your last name is Larran (not that it matters much but still :)) also, https://trel.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/the-young-kingdom-of-filkhar
4. love the alchemical angle. Also fits in with what I've been thinking up, as well as both of his motivations.
5. looking forward to the rest of the info on Gerhard!!
6. val, any character ideas yet? Remember, for every Elric, there should be a Moonglum. :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:45:35 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 02:24:51 PM »
Raschil, the overly-sophisticated and pretentious capital of Filkhar, of the Young Kingdoms, abounds with inns, taverns, and brothels. The Eight-Legged Rat, is one such establishment, named for the queer, mutant rodents that prowl the city's alleyways by night. Creatures no doubt tainted by Chaos, any Filk will tell you.

Step inside, let your eyes adjust to the cloying smoke and gloom. Smell the skewered, roasting, pigeons as they slowly spin above the fire-heated stones, hissing forth gobs of grease. Touch the smooth wooden walls of deep-purple mahogany as you pass through the main hall, rare wood, imported from a continent away. Listen to the forlorn melody of Segol the minstrel, as he plucks away on his double-lute, eyes closed, remembering old loves and lost dreams.

There, toward the back, we can make out two figures, reclining on a garish, jade-green divan, and sipping from baroquely-carved, copper goblets. They seem to be in conversation. Let us move closer, to see if we can overhear their discourse...

"Gerhard, I shan't pledge my love to Arnelia without her father's consent and approval. You know that. I want the woman, aye, but I desire her vast vineyards as well. Just the woman won't do. I need to prove myself to her bore of a sire somehow. I should not be wasting my time idling here with you, in Raschil. I need to get back to the Estates before Arnelia's lustful eye catches sight of some other less deserving suitor than myself."

The other man takes a deep drink of his green-yellow wine.

"And what of you, Gerhard?" the man named Glayn changes topics, "Where will you go? What will you do?"

Their food is served to them just then by a gangly, pimpled youth. All Filkharians are gourmets to some degree, and the resident cook of the Eight Legged Rat is no exception.

A platter of giant, garlicked snails, each mollusk the size of a baby's fist, is put down between them. A bowl of buttered turnips and charred onions follows suit, and lastly, the glistening roasted pigeons, slathered in lilac honey. Their goblets are refilled.

"You have the look of a Melnibonean dreamer about you, Gerhard. It will be your undoing someday. Never satisfied with your lot in life. Aye, you are a third son. Brennar will inherit your father's lands and titles, Tyodr will get whatever is left over. But you are still a Larran. I, on the other hand, have to claw my way up, one Arnelia at a time, eh?"

At last Glayn quiets down, satisfied with himself, and studies his friend's face. Black, blue, and white are the colors of Gerhard's palette. His hair, eyes, and skin respectively.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:20:35 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Golden Creator 5 Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Elite Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
"I fear not for my employ, friend - my brothers know well that they are losing money any hour that I am *not* around. But, were things most dire, I could find employ in a wealthy house, brewing tonics to shave pounds off the sides, and to increase other types of appetite."
Filks liked to eat; they abhorred being fat.

Gerhard had set his eyes on a damsel himself, less illustrious than Glayn's chosen, but exactly Gerhard's age, born in the same locale. He knew well what that meant.
"I know that gaze, but let me tell you, let Trymnis be - no man can keep up with that ever-changing flood of fetishes and vices." Glayn laughed, sleazily.
Gerhard nodded - he was able to do so, but briefly. The challenge had been an... interesting one, though.
"Besides, she's poor as a temple rat."

"Wealth fades."
"So do looks, character, and even wits, when the daftness of old age claims you."
"Or the drink, my friend?"
"Or the drink" Glayn lifted his goblet, and drank deep. "To wenches that are endowed with endowments and dowry!"
"Care to drink to my endeavour as well?" Gerhard prodded him.
"After I hear of it, and if its not worth the toast, I'll drink to wenches again."
"The Guild would have me lead a major undertaking..."
"The Guild of Natural Philosophers, Explorers and Innovative Craftsmen?" Glayn spoke the name with fake pomp and hardly hidden amusement.
"The very same. They would seek to uncover the City of Downed Stars."
"So you are to become a glorified grave robber?"
"Better than a cradle robber, no?" Gerhard smirked, then added: "It has the potential to pay off very well - and to recover knowledge long lost. Meanwhile, you try becoming a vine merchant, a good one at that. Best impress a man with competence in a field dear to him."
"To your grave robbing and my legitimate business then!"

Their goblets clashed a last time, emptied.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:04:03 PM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Longspeak

• As Does the Spider, I Weave, Because I Must
  • Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Illegal to Remove this Tag
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator 2013 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 02:35:45 PM »
Everyone always talks about Elric. What about the other facets of the eternal champion? Corum? Jerry Cornelius? Many others.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:04:30 PM »
Yep, Erekose too. But I refuse to have a "Jerry" in my dark fantasy game :)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:08:46 AM »
Corum is cool, have read the first three books ages ago :) Also, we could split the thread into RP and chatter?