llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Quotes...got any?  (Read 39132 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Re: Quotes...got any?
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2007, 08:10:10 PM »
"This is a family-oriented hell hole."  - one of my co-workers
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2007, 12:17:29 PM »
Oh, you have been to some of the places my family vacationed when I was younger.  I swear Mad Max/ Cyberpunk nomads stay at better RV parks than we did in those days.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2007, 09:43:11 PM »
Young women should not go alone on dark nights, even in Oxfordshire. But any prowling maniac would have had more than his work cut out if he had accosted Anathema Device. She was a witch, after all. And precisley because she was a witch, and therefore sensible, she put little faith in protective amulets ands spells; she saved it all for a foot-long bread knife which she kept in her belt.
-Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Quotes from Strolencon 07
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2007, 01:32:07 PM »
The convention, such that it was, generated some great things...

In a flat computer voice, "Turn right. Turn right."

"Checking traffic."

"The floor does what?"

"This would make a great sub."

"Take a card."

"Dude, your luck sucks this weekend."

"Who would of thought that skill at Guitar Hero would let you run a DVD player?"

"No worries, the flight can't be delayed that long."
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
"Nachos? When did I put nachos in my boot?" - My Friend Charlie, smelling his shoes at the gaming table.

*Busts into Taxidermist's back door* "I'm lookin' for the Black Lotus!" - Me
"Who the hell are you?" - Taxidermist (GM)
"They're called the Lotus Dragons" - Dru, the GM
"Oh, then I cast Charm Person on the Taxidermist." - Me

"I have learned much in my studies." - Arq, the Changeling, trying to maintan his disguise as an Elderly Scholar after blasting a Kobold with Eldritch Energy.

"I have the strength and intelligence of a tank!" - Me

"If it hurts it means you're still alive." - I think it was the Russian guy from DOA3

Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2007, 07:44:13 PM »
"Vecna is working on other potential applications for the robot technology..."   :shock:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6729745.stm
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2007, 09:16:16 PM »
Not too long ago... playing Streets of Rage with my Father:

My Dad: "What is that?"
Me: "I think it's a fudgicle.. Let me eat it."
Dad: "Ok."
Me: "Sweet! Full heal!"

Me: "Oww."
Dad: "What?"
Me: "That was me you just kicked in the head."

Me: "Don't push 'A' unless we are losing."
*Police Car drive onscreen, guy pops out and fire explosive rounds at the enemies*
Dad: "Did you do that?"

There were a few others I cant recall, but I'll try to ply more vieo games with my Dad and see what else we say.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Jon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2007, 12:57:14 PM »
"You have to be 100% behind someone to stab them in the back." Cant rememmber who that was, might have been said earlier in the post, i didnt read all 9 pages lol. Still a good quote.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2007, 09:34:57 PM »
Observations, by George Carlin

--Here’s my favorite form of government. I don’t think we should be governing ourselves. What we need is a king, and every now and then if the king’s not doing his job, we kill him.

--I think someone could make a lot of money if they set up a little stand at the Grand Canyon and sold Yo-Yos with 500-foot strings.

--Sometimes they say the winds are calm. Well, if they’re calm, they’re not really f@%#$%$ winds, are they?

--Most of the time people feel okay. Probably it’s because at that moment they’re not actually dying.

--After decades of research murder investigators now say that in most cases husbands kill wives, wives kill husbands, children kill parents, and parents kill children. Want to know what I say? "No s**t Sherlocks!"

--You know what you rarely see? A ninety-three-year-old guy working on his resume.

--I hope no one ever asks me to show them the ropes. I have no idea where they are. Maybe I could pull some strings to find out.

--If there really are multiple universes, what do they call the thing they’re all a part of?

--I think a great title for a travel book would be Doorway to Norway

--I never worry that all hell will break loose. My concern is that only part of hell will break loose and be much harder to detect.

--Want to know what your cat is really thinking right now? “I sure would love to eat a rat right about now”

--And remember, if you practice throwing a discus alone, you have to go get it yourself.
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
"I had a Chuck Norris joke, but it kicked me in the head and I forgot it."
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2008, 01:25:28 AM »
Babylon Five

Emperor Cartagia: "How will this end?"
Kosh: "In fire."
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »
Originally Posted by Center-of-All 
"No, you didn't die. Defeat is far too interesting and useful a tool to be wasted on starting over. "

While it is not a sig line, though it could be, it is advice to live by. That is why, in my game system, 4 points of impairment buys "taken out of play". While this can be death, it just means the damage done puts the character out of comission for a while: coma, long lingering wound, wound with infection that causes delirium, and so on.

In playtest, the best use of this was something like this.
"Finally, I clipped 4 impairment on him?"
"Sigh. You are going to invoke death on him?"
"No. We go through a dance of death. I attack with renewed vigor. He parries desperately. I advance. He gives ground. He leaps away, trying to get some distance. I follow him. We go over here.. over there.. and back and forth along the edge. Then... I thrust... he twists out of the way.. he does the cartoonish waving of his arms as he tries to maintain his balance.. and slips as I reach out for him. We peer over the edge, because by now everyone else has killed off the minion. We watch him fall down the chasm towards the river. Bounce off a rocky cliff side.
and again. and again.. and we lose him in the mist.
"Cool. So he is dead?" (This player was in to killing things).
"Nah, he is bruised, broken, and scarred, but he will be back... after a large number of adventures."
"What?" other players say incredulously.
"I watch Blake 7 disc 1 and this Sherlock Homes episode last weekend."
"We can take the best this guy can throw at us. As long as he is alive, the GM will keep throwing him at us. We know him. We won't have to learn all this new information about the new big bad guy. He won't feel compelled to make a bigger and badder villian that we might not be able to defeat. "
"Okay that was Blake 7, What about Sherlock Homes?"
"Oh the bad guys always survive going over the cliffs... especially if we say, "Nobody could survive that."
Okay take 6 Player Points and an extra 800 xp just for scene alone and the explanation. And remind me later to get you the Prince of Amber series. I think you will like what happens to the hero.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »
Charles de Lint   Author
www.charlesdelint.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Lint

A long time ago a bunch of people reached a general consensus as to what's real and what's not and most of us have been going along with it ever since.

As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between fact and what most people call fiction is about fifteen pages in the dictionary.

I think you're all mad. But that's part and parcel of being an artistic genius, isn't it?

I want to touch the heart of the world and make it smile.

I'm not Chinese. I thrive in interesting times.

If you're not ready to die, then how can you live?

It's good to have mysteries. It reminds us that there's more to the world than just making do and having a bit of fun.

Life is like art. You have to work hard to keep it simple and still have meaning.

Not everything has to mean something. Some things just are.

One expected growth, change; without it, the world was less, the well of inspiration dried up, the muses fled.

Remember the quiet wonders. The world has more need of them than it has for warriors.

Stone walls confine a tinker; cold iron binds a witch; but a musician's music can never be fettered, for it lives first in her heart and mind.

The best artists know what to leave out.

The few wonders of the world only exist while there are those with the sight to see them.

The fey wonders of the world only exist while there are those with the sight to see them.

The problem with children is that you have to put up with their parents.

The road leading to a goal does not separate you from the destination; it is essentially a part of it.

The thing with pretending you're in a good mood is that sometimes you can.

There are few joys to compare with the telling of a well-told tale.

When all's said and done, all roads lead to the same end. So it's not so much which road you take, as how you take it.

Why did men worship in churches, locking themselves away in the dark, when the world lay beyond its doors in all its real glory?

Witchery is merely a word for what we are all capable of.

Without mysteries, life would be very dull indeed. What would be left to strive for if everything were known?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
From the Sword of Truth Series

Meeting of Two Worlds
"There is nothing that exists that has only one side"
Darken Rahl

Letting go of the past
"Only a fool walks into the future backwards" 
General Trimack

Noble Causes
"Nothing gained without cost is valued".
Richard Rahl

Resolve
"Hesitation can be the end of you.... or those you care about."
Mistress Cara

Dedication
"If the road is easy, you're likely going the wrong way".  First Wizard Zeddiah Zu'l Zorander

Choosing your battles
"Life is far too precious to be casually squander on useless causes."
Richard Rahl

Freedom
There is no right way for the world to be. The only right is that people be allowed to live their own life."
Richard Rahl

Deserve Victory
There is no guarantee that if you try you will succeed. But without trying, you will assure failure and the lives of dread for you yourself and your children."
Richard Rahl

The Books in Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Truth

TheTV show
http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/characters.html
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Favorite quotes from A Song of Ice and Fire

I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood.
--Rodrik Harlaw

Now it begins" said Arthur Dayne
"No", Ned said sadly. "Now it ends."

“First lesson: stick them with the pointy end” -Jon

"Give me sweet lies, and keep your bitter truths." --Tyrion Lannister

"Tears are not a woman's only weapon." -Cersei Lannister

That's no law, just a sword. Happens I got one too.
--Yoren

[he] pronounced it admirable. Doubtless if I showed him the content of my privy, he would pronounce it admirable as well.
--Jaime

We look at mountains and call them eternal, and so they seem…but in the course of time, mountains rise and fall, rivers change their courses, stars fall from the sky, and great cities sink beneath the sea. Even gods die, we think. Everything changes.
--Maester Luwin

My father is very good at doing nothing. He calls it thinking.
--Arienne Martell

Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaeger died.
--Ser Jorah Mormont

The Red Viper (circling Gregor Cleghane with his spear): "Do you know who I am?"
Gregor Cleghane (watching, huge sword in hand): "Some dead man."

Cersei: (her face bruising from Robert's blow) "I shall wear this as a badge of honor."
Robert Baratheon: "Wear it in silence or I'll honor you again."

Syrio Florel, to Arya: "Fear cuts deeper than swords."

The Hound: "There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different."
Sansa: "You're awful."
The Hound: "I'm honest. It's the world that's awful. Now fly away little bird, I'm sick of you peeping at me."

Tyrion the dwarf: "What sort of man do you take me for?"
Cersei: "A small and twisted one."

Cersei: "Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same."

Eddard Stark: "If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look him into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

Tyrion: "I am sorry for your loss as well, Joffrey."
King Joffrey: "What loss?"
Tyrion: "Your royal father? A large fierce man with a black beard; you'll recall him if you try. He was king before you."

Varys the Spider: "There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man."

Jaime: "Even if the boy does live, he will be a cripple. Worse than a cripple. A grotesque. Give me a good clean death."
Tyrion: "Speaking for the grotesques, I beg to differ. Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities."

Bran: "Can a man still be brave when he's afraid?"
Eddard: "That's the only time a man can be brave."

Theon Greyjoy: "Why should a man humble himself when the world is so full of men eager to do that job for him?"

Littlefinger (to Eddard): "I did warn you not to trust me, you know."

Unknown swordsman at the Red Wedding: "Jaime Lannister sends his regards."

Ser Jorah Mormont (to Daenerys, who hesitates at using an army of brutalized eunuch-soldiers to regain her throne): "Your grace...Rhaegar fought [for his throne] valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died."

“I am sorry for your loss as well, Joffrey,” the dwarf said.
“What loss?”
“Your royal father? A large fierce man with a black beard; you’ll recall him if you try. He was king before you.”

"I seldom fling children from towers to improve their health. Yes, I meant for him to die."

“Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, & it will never be used to hurt you.” –Tyrion

“All dwarves may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarves.” –Tyrion

"

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
  • I will name him George!
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »
 "For once in my life, I want to see someone get killed" -Bend of the River
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2009, 05:45:42 PM »
'Here's my strategy on the Cold War:   
We win, they lose.' - Ronald Reagan

'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' -Ronald Reagan

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'   - Ronald Reagan

'Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S.    was too strong.' - Ronald Reagan

'I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.'   - Ronald Reagan

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'   - Ronald Reagan

'The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.'   - Ronald Reagan

'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'   - Ronald Reagan

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it'   - Ronald Reagan

'Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed, there are many rewards; if you disgrace yourself, you can always write a book.'   - Ronald Reagan

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.' - Ronald Reagan   

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -   Ronald Reagan
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »
Mark Twain

“Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”

“There is nothing so annoying as to have two people talking when you're busy interrupting.”

“Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first”

“Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.”

“The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop”

“Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.”

“A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation”

“All generalizations are false, including this one.”

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.”

“To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.”

“The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.”

“When angry, count to four. When very angry, swear.”

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”

“Substitute "d**n" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be”

“Life does not consist mainly, or even largely, of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thought that is forever flowing through one's head.”

“A monarch, when good, is entitled to the consideration which we accord to a pirate who keeps Sunday School between crimes; when bad, he is entitled to none at all.”

(and much more)
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »
It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in

large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
-Voltaire

Only the dead have seen the end of the war.
-George Santayana

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.
-Adolf Hitler

When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.
-Jean-Paul Sartre

Yesterday, December seventh, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United

States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces

of the Empire of Japan.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

We are time's subjects, and time bids be gone.
-William Shakespeare

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of

Paul.
-George Bernard Shaw

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.
-Steven Wright

Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing.
-Robert Benchley

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
-Mark Twain

He would make a lovely corpse.
-Charles Dickens

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.
-Joe E. Lewis

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through

not dying.
-Woody Allen

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
-Steven Wright

I like children - fried.
-W. C. Fields

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
-Fred Allen

I was the kid next door's imaginary friend.
-Emo Philips

I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead.
-Woody Allen

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »
St. Bernard of Clairvaux (on gargoyles):

"What are these fantastic monsters doing in the cloisters under the very eyes of the brothers as they read? What is the meaning of these unclean monkeys, strange savage lions and monsters? To what purpose are here placed these creatures, half beast, half man? I see several bodies with one head and several heads with one body. Here is a quadruped with a serpent's head, there a fish with a quadruped's head, then again an animal half horse, half goat... Surely if we do not blush for such absurdities we should at least regret what we have spent on them."
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers or the temples of his gods?"

This pretty much sums up my current character's beliefs.

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:50 AM »
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.
        -- Pliny the Elder

Nine people can't make a baby in a month.
    - Fred Brooks

Girls marry for love.  Boys marry because of a chronic irritation that causes them to gravitate in the direction of  objects with certain curvilinear properties.
        -- Ashley Montagu

Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers.
        -- Pablo Picasso.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »
Quotes I found from a list I had a while ago.

All the worlds a stage, and all the men and women merely players.  They have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts     William Shakespeare

to have no heroes is to have no aspiration, to live on the momentum of the past, to be thrown back upon routine, sensuality, and narrow self    Charles Horton Cooley   Sociologist

Did I request thee Maker, from my clay to mould me man. Did I solicit thee from darkness to promote me.  Milton Paradise Lost

“...there’s a hell of a good universe next door; let’s go”
–   E.E. Cummings

If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional creatures are sometimes more real then people with bodies and heartbeats   Richard Bach, "Illusions"

"Lord, grant me a hard head, and a soft wall to beat it on"

“That Which Exists is Allowed.”   John Lilly, The Center of the Cyclone

“With knowledge comes power. With practice comes wisdom.”

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." -- Martin Luther King

"The eye only sees what the mind is prepared to comprehend." -- Henri Bergson

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil." -- Max Lerner

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -- Lord Acton

"The high-minded man must care more for the truth than for what people think." -- Aristotle

"We cannot expect to breed respect for law and order among people who do not share the fruits of our freedom." -- Hubert Humphrey

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

"Life is like a grindstone - whether it grinds you down or polishes you up depends on what you're made of." -- unknown

"In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current." -- Thomas Jefferson

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Unknown

Heroes have a infinite capacity for stupidity.  Thus legends are born.  Unknown

Reality is what exists when you wake up.

Pain is just the exit wound of fear leaving your body.

"Where Were You Fellows When The Paper Was Blank?" Fred Allen (1894-1956)

"The otaku, the passionate obsessive, the information age's embodiment of the connoisseur." William Gibson
""The superfluous is very necessary." -- Voltaire

It is a bad plan that admits no modification      Publicist Syrus

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.      Dr. Who   Jon Pertwee

Remember, you are braver than you believe, you are stronger than you seem, and you are smarter than you think    A. A. Milne

It's not denial. I'm just very selective about what I accept as reality      Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.            
The X-Files

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle.

QUOTE: The story never ends. It's this part of the telling that will end.  J. Michael Straczynski.

Quote:  Since the universe is curved, there cannot be any truly straight answers.    J. Michael Straczynski.

Quote: That's the great thing about being alive...there's always a new trauma waiting just around the corner for you to learn from and draw upon.   J. Michael Straczynski.

Keep quote: Mark Twain said, "Never write a scene until you have finished it to your satisfaction." Meaning in your head. You should always play the scene over and over in your head, filling it out further and further each time, until you can play it like a movie. Then, when it's all worked out, you sit down and transcribe it. This is kinda how I work. I finish a scene, load up what I need to do in the next scene...and distract myself, here on the boards, doing something else, and gradually filling out the scene over and over until it's crystal clear. Then when you sit down to write it, it goes quickly.

*********The best writing (IMO) is natural writing, where the words on the page flow very naturally, very smoothly. Every once in a while, you pull out all thestylistic tricks, you thunder and lightning all over the page, when needed for effect...but it's the writing free of artifice that seems, for me, to work well. If you hang out with writers long enough, the really *good* ones, you learn soon enough that most of them talk exactly the way they write. Lemme give you a forinstance...when Asimov was first struggling as a writer, he had lunch with his agent one day. He was having a hard time describing things, using language to paint pictures. The agent said, "You know how Hemingway would describe the sun rising in the morning?" No, Asimov said, leaning in...how? "The sun rose in the morning."

Modify this Chekov's rule of playwriting: If there's a gun on the wall in act 1 scene 1, you must use it by
act 3 scene 3. Similarly, if you fire the gun in act 3, you must show it in act one. I do try to play fair with the audience, and either hint at or point to what's coming in various ways, so that if you back up all the episodes, it's right there in front of you.

QUOTE: The storyline began millions of years ago. We're coming in in the middle of the story. But then, that can be said of all of us.     J. Michael Straczynski.

Orson Scott Card once said, "And since every writer has about ten thousand pages of utter drivel in them, you might as well start now so you can get a good portion of that out of your way while you're still young. After all, you learn more about writing from writing a 100,000-word manuscript than you ever will from any writing class or writing book (and I say that as a teacher of writing classes and a writer of
writing books)." 

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »
When in doubt, reload and aim for the head.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2010, 02:23:10 PM »