llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Quotes...got any?  (Read 39678 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Hogun

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2004, 08:43:53 AM »
i pretty much love a bit of arrogance, and so with that in mind heres some kain quotes off the top of my head

"Vae victous,
'Suffering to the conquered'.  ironic now that i was the one suffering.  nothing as pedestrian as pain but rather a cruel jab of impotent anger.  the hunger for revenge."             -Kain (Blood Omen)

"Given the choice: whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny; what was a king to do? But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match move by move the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars."    -Kain  (Defiance)

"False God - this is the end - the final turn of your Wheel."   -Kain (SUPRISE!) to eldar god.  

and one off the wwe :
"my muscles ache, my mind is spent, my body broken.  lead me to my throne."   -i love this quote because it neatly sums up the whole thang about a champion sacrificing all to achieve the throne.  which is pretty much all he has left now that his body is wasted.  great warrior is now bitter old man.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
BUMP
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2005, 01:00:54 PM »
BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP!
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2005, 01:13:32 PM »
bump?
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Re: BUMP
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2005, 11:05:06 PM »
Quote from: "MoonHunter"
BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP!
That's a good quote... It's now in queue for the random quotes at the top of my index page.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2005, 08:33:07 AM »
Normally, I delete  bump posts after they have been commented upon... or the thread has been commented on.  I think I will leave this batch.  Thank you Kinslayer, I have once again been quoted from one of my left field quotes on a page. Is it never my words of wisdom, it is always something silly I have said.

"When you get down to it, it is all about the stealing, breaking, and killing."
Quoted terribly out of context when we were discussing what game mechanics we need for games.  

"Rules? We don't need no stinking rules!  True. We need good rules, not bad smelly rules, you stupid putz!"
Told in all caps to some smart ass that quoted the Blazing Saddles quotes saying that we did not need any rules in games... latter we were discussing GOD MODDING and he realized that was a rule

"I have rule books, that I am still using, that are older than you."
That has become a sig line around here and has been posted on a few sites.

"I like rules. They actually make me think about what I should do, before I go and do what I want anyways."
Discussing rules vs stories somewhere

"When it comes down to it, I will take the die roll over your dramatic decision any day"
In response to a player who thought he was too good/ cool to bother with mechanics in a game. He was one of the worst players I had ever encountered

"Thank you for making Bruce look good."
Same conversation, Bruce C being the worst players I have ever gamed with on a semi-regular basis. Is now a Sig Line for a couple of people... I assume they are named Bruce

"Thank you. Your game makes Enterprise look good."
Commenting on how bad someone's game is. If you like Enterprise, sorry. Insert "Greatest American Hero (if playing a superheroic game), The DnD Movie (If doing fantasy), or Beast Master the Movie, if it makes you feel better.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2005, 09:40:11 PM »
My only comment on the DnD movie is that the following quote was made in a serious manner:

"Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaails!"
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2005, 11:07:41 PM »
I have once again been quoted from one of my left field quotes on a page. Is it never my words of wisdom, it is always something silly I have said.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2005, 11:14:03 PM »
Ok, here's my full list. Admittedly, many of these are from a handful of sources.  These are randomly selected texts that appear at the top of my index page:  

# i have found/you can find/happiness in slavery--nin

# "Maybe pervert-girl likes girl-type Ranma better than boy-type Ranma. Tell truth now." "I do not--& who are you calling pervert-girl?!" "Calling you."

# Ow. Quit it.

# This Space NOT for rent.

# Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. ----Socrates

# I love children--they taste of chicken.

# If you take any of this seriously, then you need some serious help.

# When in doubt...Kill everyone in the @!#$ing room.

# It's easier to be nice than to be creepy--and it's much more fun." ----(Death) Dee Dee, 'Death--the High Cost of Living'

# Notice how this text keeps changing?

# There's a monster in the closet... Wanna See?

# Do you need a license to manufacture evidence, or can anyone do it? ---Michael A. Stackpole

# "Don't worry," she said, seriously. "Most of the blood was someone else's." ---Door, "Neverwhere"

# Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. ---Michael A. Stackpole

# "Keep flax from fire, and youth from gaming." ---Benjamin Franklin

# Ahh quit worrying I didn't detect any traps.

# Anything interesting to do around here? Civilizations to crumble?

# Eat hardy me'lads, for tomorrow we die.

# Cheese would be good. ---Bartleby, Dormouse God

# Gee, these monsters aren't really tough at all.

# Go scout up ahead.

# Gems...what gems?

# I leap the chasm.

# I'll take the little one...

# Trust me.

# If it bleeds we can kill it.

# I disbelieve...it's an illusion...

# Screw the villagers, I'm no paladin.

# Sometimes the innocent must die.

# That is not a jury of my peers! Those are only common citizens!

# That should be the last of them.

# tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick...

# Wait! Wait! I've got a GREAT idea!

# Who says retainers get a share of the treasure?

# Who's next on the hit list?

# Another 18 Attribute! WOW!

# Don't worry...I can turn undead.

# Don't worry, I won't get hurt. I have far too many hit points...

# He did HOW much damage?!?

# I draw my weapon and charge into melee.

# I meant to do that.

# I thought it was implied...

# Its no longer fun for the player characters.

# Love them strength bonuses.

# Make a saving throw at negative WHAT?

# Oh hell! He found his evil red/black 20 sider! We're gonna die!

# Where's my lucky twenty sider?

# Why is the Game Master smiling?

# REROLL

# 100 experience for anyone who gets me a sandwich

# A man in a dark robe suddenly appears.

# Hey who farted? Save versus stinking gas or die.

# Hold on, I'm reading.

# How 'bout a good game of Mazes & Monsters?

# I didn't see you roll that dice.

# Save vs. poison or DIE.

# Roll for it.

# What do you know, another hit; I've been lucky today.

# “Yeah, but I don’t think that you’re going to get the babies to die in that order.� ——Todd Watkins

# Conformity means paying the bills ----Bosha

# Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

# Live by the sword... Live a good, long time. ---Minsk

# Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes! ---Minsk

# The only thing more common than hydrogen is stupidity. ---Bob Herzog

# I waste him with my longbow! ---Sara Felton

# So...when your character sleeps where does he keep his stuff? ---Bob's Tips

# Aim for the head

# "...but before I kill you, there's just one thing I have to know..."

# "It's fun to use learning for evil!" ---Lil' Sis (Dieselsweeties.com)

# Indie Rock Pete: "Red Robot, do you think that you'll ever want to have kids?" C-63: "No! Never! I am a strict vegetarian." Dieselsweeties.com

# Maybe I should just calm down & get a hot cup of coffee... and pour it on some flowers. ---Clango (Clango.org)

# I became a cigarette spokesbot! Enjoy some smooth, full-flavored doom, hu-mans! Ha ha! ---Red Robot

# Nothing satisfies like death. ---Eve (Dieselsweeties.com)

# What we call evil is simply ignorance bumping its head in the dark. ---Henry Ford, in the London "Observer"

# Den Bosen sind sie los, die Bosen sind geblieben. ---Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust [I, 6, 174] (The Evil One has left, the evil ones remain.)

# Solent occupationis spe vel impune quaedam scelesta committi. ---Marcellinus Ammianus, Historia [XXX] (Wicked acts are accustomed to be done with impunity for the mere desire of occupation.)

# I have wrought great use out of evil tools. ---Edward George Bulwer-Lytton (Earl Lytton), Richelieu [ct III, sc. 1, l. 49]

# Fere fit malum malo aptissimum. ---Titus Livy, Annales [I, 46] (Evil is fittest to consort with evil.)

# Omnia perversas possunt corrumpere mentes. ---Ovid (Publius Ovidius Naso), Tristium [II, 301] (All things can corrupt perverse minds.)

# When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. ---Mae West

# It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. ---Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

# Hope in reality is the worst of all evils, because it prolongs the torments of man. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

# Vengeance has no foresight. ---Napoleon Bonaparte

# In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. ---Douglas Adams The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, 1980

# The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." ---Isaac Asimov

# Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ---Arthur C. Clarke Technology and the Future

# Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

# Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake. ---Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower

# Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius. ---Arthur Conan Doyle Complete Sherlock Holmes

# Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better.

# People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

# We seem to have a compulsion these days to bury time capsules in order to give those people living in the next century or so some idea of what we are like. I have prepared one of my own. I have placed some rather large samples of dynamite, gunpowder, and nitroglycerin. My time capsule is set to go off in the year 3000. It will show them what we are really like. ---Alfred Hitchcock

# "When you meet the unbelievers in jihad [holy war], chop off their heads. And when you have brought them low, bind your prisoners rigorously. Then set them free or take ransom from them until the war is ended." (Koran, 47:40)

# "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and his messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be to be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet and genitals cut off, or to be expelled out of the land. Such will be their humiliation in the world, and in the next world they will face an awful horror." (Koran, 5:33-34)

# "When we decide to destroy a population, we send a definite order to them who have the good things in life and yet sin. So that Allah's word is proven true against them, then we destroy them utterly." (Koran, 17:16-17)

# "How many were the populations we utterly destroyed because of their sins, setting up in their place other peoples." (Koran, 21:11)

# The thief, Black Leaf, did not find the poison trap, and I declare her dead. ----Dark Dungeons

# NO, NOT BLACK LEAF! NO, NO! I'M GOING TO DIE! ----Dark Dungeons

# Marcie, get out of here. YOUR'RE DEAD! You don't exist any more. ----Dark Dungeons

# The intense occult training through D&D prepared Debbie to enter a witches' coven ----Dark Dungeons

# Don't be stupid, Debbie. I think you'd better let Elfstar take care of things. You're getting out of control. ----Dark Dungeons

# It's a spiritual warfare that you can't win without the Lord Jesus come with me to a meeting this afternoon. ----Dark Dungeons

# The speaker came out of witchcraft and he knows what your're up against. ----Dark Dungeons

# You guide me through life, I want you to be in charge of everything... not that lousy D&D manual. ----Dark Dungeons

# "You touch us and I'll cut you, daddy!" ----Happy Hour, Chick Publications

# "Cathy Hillman is 16--very close to Bishop's Daughter--She's faithful. I think we can make a penetration!" ----The Assignment, Chick Publications

# "The knowledge that you exist is a burden on my soul." ---Men in Hats

# All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players ---William Shakespeare

# "There is no ramp." ----Jeremiah, referring to people who's 'plane of logic' does not connect to reality.

# My dog ate my character sheet. ----Ceekay

# Let's face it; the closest our generation got to The Beatles was the Spice Girls. ----Dr. David Thorpe

# "Is there any meat this man can't jerk?" ----Hermes Conrad, Futurama

# If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

# You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

# I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather; not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

# We didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be vegetarians.

# Forget about World Peace... Visualize using your turn signal.

# The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

# I plan on living forever, or die trying.

# There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

# "*******" is not an alternative lifestyle. --Anna, Something Positive

# "Why don’t you run games at cons anymore?" I asked him. "Cuz gamers attend cons," Davan said. --PeeJee, Something Positive

# "Uh, Mom. Dahlia broke her arm and there's bone poking out. On an unrelated note, I found my baseball bat." --Davan (age 4), Something Positive

# "Stop that, Davan! You know it worries Mommy when you smile." ----Faye (Davan's mother), Something Positive

# "Poor Daban. So ugly. So dumb. Why God hate you so much?" Aubrey (age 2), Something Positive

# C'thukle and the world C'thukles with you (that's like a chuckle, only evil and otherworldly). --Peregrine "Bright" Brightmeadow

# Those who beat their swords to plowshares, will plow for those who don't.

# You’re the biggest disappointment since the crucifixion ----Foamy, Illwillpress.com

# Ewww! I have one of those jiggly butts! ----Germaine, Illwillpress.com

# BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! --MoonHunter

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2005, 07:04:18 AM »
"You must die, I alone am best."

The Bloodhound Gang

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Quotes about the future
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2005, 10:36:56 AM »
Thomas Frey is the Executive Director, Founder, and Senior Futurist at the DaVinci Institute. His talks on futurist topics have captivated people ranging from top levels of government to executives in Fortune 100 companies.

Considered by his peers to be the "most creative futurist on the planet", Tom continually pushes the envelope of understanding, creative fascinating images of the world to come.

So here are some of his quotes and his friends quotes.

The Institute is pushing technology of the future.
http://www.davinciinstitute.com/index.php

Government

"The health of a nation is inversely proportional to the number of laws needed to govern it." - Thomas Frey - Executive Director, The DaVinci Institute

Space

"The human race cannot survive if all humans only live on one planet." - Thomas Frey - Executive Director, The DaVinci Institute

Technology

"All technology is approaching invisibility" - Thomas Frey - Executive Director, The DaVinci Institute

"All information, ever created, is still in existence." - Thomas Frey - Executive Director, The DaVinci Institute

"He who controls the weather, will control the world. He who controls gravity, will control the universe. He who controls time, will never be around." - Thomas Frey - Executive Director, The DaVinci Institute

"Sometime between 2010 and 2020 it will become clear that human beings are no longer the smartest things on earth. This will be profoundly disturbing for many." - Glen Hiemstra - Futurist.Com

"Cloned dinosaurs will once again walk the planet." - Watts Wacker - CEO and Futurist, First Matter

Demographic Trends

"Somewhere on planet earth lives a young child who will be the first person to live…forever." - Glen Hiemstra -Futurist.Com

Provocative Questions

"The year is 2050, and you are standing in front of a vending machine. What form of payment will you put into it?" - Thomas Frey - Executive Director, The DaVinci Institute

"People who live to be 65 today in the United States live an average of an additional 18 years. Over the first two decades of the 21st Century, because of advances in health care, nutrition, exercise, wealth, and biotechnologies of various kinds, this average will increase toward 30 years, then 40 years after age 65. How will we reinvent the third phase of life now called retirement?" - Glen Hiemstra -Futurist.Com

"If you were on the jury trying to decide the fate of a murderous criminal, and you had the choice to decide between sending him to the electric chair or to a sentence of total amnesia, which would you decide?" - Thomas Frey - Executive Director, The DaVinci Institute

Miscellaneous

"Technology that allows us to view past events will become the most important tool ever invented for criminal investigations." - Thomas Frey - Executive Director, The DaVinci Institute

"The age of reason has ended, and now we must organize around chaos." - Watts Wacker - CEO and Futurist, First Matter

“Power is about what you can control. Freedom is about what you can unleash.� - Harriet Ruben - Founder Doubleday/Currency Book Publisher
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Anteaus

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2005, 01:39:57 PM »
"I don't know what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but I know that WW4 will be fought with clubs and rocks." ~ Albert Einstein

"Ideas are more powerful than guns.  We would not let people have guns; why would we let them have ideas?" ~ Joseph Stalin (from my friend, Josh)

"If you try to tell kids that these days they just won't believe you." ~ Monty Python

"heh...nun-chucks" ~ my friend, Kyla

"The death of one life is a tragedy. The death of millions is statistics." ~ Joseph Stalin (from my friend, Josh)
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." --John Lehman (1942 - ), Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2005, 11:32:21 AM »
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The height of art is to conceal art" - Marcus Fabius Quintilianus

"For when the wine is in, the wit is out" - Thomas Becon

"Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live" - Socrates

“Friendships begin with liking or gratitude – roots that can be pulled up� - George Eliot

“Perfect Happiness even in memory is uncommon� - Jane Austen

“When sorrow is asleep, wake it not� - Thomas Fuller

“Life is a great surprise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one� - Vladmir Nabokov

“Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle� - Bob Hope

“Youth is a malady of which one becomes cured of a little every day� - Benito Mussolini

“And let a scholar all Earth’s volumes carry
He will be but a walking dictionary� - George Chapman

“Hence it is clear how much crueller the pen than the sword� - Robert Burton

“The noblest work of God? Man. Who found it out? Man.� - Mark Twain

“The high-minded man does not bear grudges, for it is not the mark of great soul to remember injuries, but to forget them� - Aristotle

“Is life worth living? This is a question for an embryo not a man. To live is like love, all reason against it, and all healthy instinct for it� - Samuel Butler

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Bruce Lee Rocks
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2005, 12:09:27 AM »
This couplet, which echos fundamental taoist concepts, was made famous by Bruce Lee. It is carved on his tomb stone.

Yi wu fa wei you fa. Yi wu xian wei you xian
"Having no way as the way. Having no limitation as your limitation.

A few more quotes I like:
I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
Bruce Lee

Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!
Bruce Lee

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.
Bruce Lee

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Bruce Lee

Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.
Bruce Lee

Take no thought of who is right or wrong or who is better than. Be not for or against.
Bruce Lee

The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be.
Bruce Lee

Do not be tense, just be ready, not thinking but not dreaming, not being set but being flexible. It is being "wholly" and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come.
Bruce Lee

The tools are at an undifferentiated center of a circle that has no circumference, moving and yet not moving, in tension and yet relaxed, seeing everything happening and yet not at all anxious about its outcome, with nothing purposely designed, nothing consciously calculated, no anticipation, no expectation - in short, standing innocently like a baby and yet, with all the cunning, subterfuge and keen intelligence of a fully mature mind.
Bruce Lee

I hope martial artists are more interested in the root of martial arts and not the different decorative branches, flowers or leaves.
Bruce Lee

Do not run away; let go. Do not seek, for it will come when least expected.
Bruce Lee

Give up thinking as though not giving it up. Observe techniques as though not observing.
Bruce Lee

The highest technique is to have no technique. My technique is a result of your technique; my movement is a result of your movement.
Bruce Lee

In combat, spontaneity rules; rote performance of technique perishes.
Bruce Lee

There is no fixed teaching. All I can provide is an appropriate medicine for a particular ailment.
Bruce Lee

A fight is not won by one punch or kick. Either learn to endure or hire a bodyguard.
Bruce Lee

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.
Bruce Lee

http://www.tajkd.com/quotes.htm
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
MoonHunter sayeth...
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2005, 11:27:52 AM »
Continuation of quotes from page 3

The best lies contain some truth, so get your d**** facts straight.
Her majesty

"I'm a lawyer, I'm a professional, don't lie like this at home."
Her majestry

"I hate phone calls from you. It always means that something bad is happening and our lives are about to be on the line... The annoying part is even if we don't go and fix it, our lives are still on the line and there is nothing we can do about it."
MoonHunter

"Oh yah, right. I called you. Well I had one of those feelings."
MoonHunter

"Oh course I am calling Bear. He is a big target and always draws fire away from me."
MoonHunter
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2005, 05:23:32 PM »
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
-Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Quotes for Episode III
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2005, 09:47:53 AM »
You know you want to do it. We all know you have seen it. It has to have had some good quotable line.

I just wish I have seen it, but movies are not in this months fiscal budget and next month's movie is probably going to be Batman. (Darn children are expensive.) So I might have to wait for video....

So I have to live vicariously through all of you. Quote it. Quote it now.

Heck you can even quote Episode I and II, just to get us in the mood. I know there are a bunch of closet rebels out there (and even more closeted Imperials). Quote it.

Post them HERE
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33082#33082
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2005, 02:00:08 PM »
While technically a movie quote:

Great villains believe they're right.
-- Jean-Claude Van Damme, KC Star 12-23-95

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."
- Tom Clancy
This can be said about gaming as well

Here are a few too many.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
- H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
- Golda Meir (1898-1978) to a visiting diplomat

"His ignorance is encyclopedic"
- Abba Eban (1915-2002)

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
- A. J. Liebling (1904-1963)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

"Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
- Saint Augustine (354-430)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
- Emile Zola (1840-1902)

"This book fills a much-needed gap."
- Moses Hadas (1900-1966) in a review

"The full use of your powers along lines of excellence."
- definition of"happiness" by John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart."
- e e cummings (1894-1962)

"Give me a museum and I'll fill it."
- Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)

"Assassins!"
- Arturo Toscanini (1867-1957) to his orchestra

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems."
- Rene Descartes (1596-1650), "Discours de la Methode"

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford (1863-1947)

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

"Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed."
- George Burns (1896-1996)

"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."
- Edsgar Dijkstra

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."
- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)

"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back."
- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)

"Dancing is silent poetry."
- Simonides (556-468bc)

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

"But at my back I always hear Time's winged chariot hurrying near."
- Andrew Marvell (1621-1678)

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

"Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called 'Ego'."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

"We have art to save ourselves from the truth."

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"I think 'Hail to the Chief' has a nice ring to it."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) when asked what is his favorite song

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
- H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

"Talent does what it can; genius does what it must."
- Edward George Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873)

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."
- unknown

"Women might be able to fake orgasms. But men can fake a whole relationship."
- Sharon Stone

"If you are going through hell, keep going."

"He who has a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'."

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

"He is one of those people who would be enormously improved by death."
- H. H. Munro (Saki) (1870-1916)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."
- Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)

"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars."
- J. Paul Getty (1892-1976)

"Facts are the enemy of truth."
- Don Quixote - "Man of La Mancha"

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
- George Washington Carver (1864-1943)

"How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself."
- Anais Nin (1903-1977)

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

"I begin by taking. I shall find scholars later to demonstrate my perfect right."
- Frederick (II) the Great

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot (1819-1880)

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
- Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)

"Black holes are where God divided by zero."
- Steven Wright

"I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it."
- Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
- Walt Disney (1901-1966)

"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."
- Vince Lombardi

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true."
- James Branch Cabell

"A friendship founded on business is better than a business founded on friendship."
- John D. Rockefeller (1874-1960)

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

"You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it."
- Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936)

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered."
- Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936)

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."
- Umberto Eco

"Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down."
- Jimmy Durante

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

"Basically, I no longer work for anything but the sensation I have while working."
- Albert Giacometti (sculptor)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

"Many a man's reputation would not know his character if they met on the street."
- Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915)

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
- Frank Zappa

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
- Antoine de Saint Exupery

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."
- Isaac Asimov

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
- Carl Sagan

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action."
- Auric Goldfinger, in "Goldfinger" by Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance"

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

"A clever man commits no minor blunders."
- Goethe (1749-1832)

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."
- Richard Bach

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

"Sleep is an excellent way of listening to an opera."
- James Stephens (1882-1950)

"The nice thing about being a celebrity is that if you bore people they think it's their fault."
- Henry Kissinger (1923-)

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
- Will Durant

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
- Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)

"It was the experience of mystery -- even if mixed with fear -- that engendered religion."

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means."
- Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial, 1925.

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
- Henry Ford (1863-1947)

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."
- Warren Zevon (1947-2003)

"There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

"When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

"The instinct of nearly all societies is to lock up anybody who is truly free. First, society begins by trying to beat you up. If this fails, they try to poison you. If this fails too, the finish by loading honors on your head."
- Jean Cocteau (1889-1963)

"Everyone is a genius at least once a year; a real genius has his original ideas closer together."
- Georg Lichtenberg (1742-1799)

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

"While we are postponing, life speeds by."
- Seneca (3BC - 65AD)

"Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?"
- Bumper Sticker

"God, please save me from your followers!"
- Bumper Sticker

"Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."
- the Duchess of Windsor, when asked what is the secret of a long and happy life

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

"Luck is the residue of design."
- Branch Rickey - former owner of the Brooklyn Dodger Baseball Team

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."
- Mel Brooks

"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."
- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

"Wit is educated insolence."
- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

"My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

"Egotist: a person more interested in himself than in me."

"A narcissist is someone better looking than you are."
- Gore Vidal

"Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
- Samuel Palmer (1805-80)

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

"The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."
- Aristotle Onassis (1906-1975)

"Sometimes when reading Goethe I have the paralyzing suspicion that he is trying to be funny."
- Guy Davenport

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."
- Niels Bohr (1885-1962)

"We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?"
- Niels Bohr (1885-1962)

"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983)

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite."
- Paul Dirac (1902-1984)

"I would have made a good Pope."
- Richard M. Nixon (1913-1994)

"In any contest between power and patience, bet on patience."
- W.B. Prescott

"Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin."
- John von Neumann (1903-1957)

"The mistakes are all waiting to be made."
- chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956) on the game's opening position

"It is unbecoming for young men to utter maxims."

"Grove giveth and Gates taketh away."
- Bob Metcalfe (inventor of Ethernet) on the trend of hardware speedups not being able to keep up with software demands

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important."
- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
- H. H. Munro (Saki) (1870-1916)

"There are two ways of constructing a software design; one way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult."
- C. A. R. Hoare

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"What do you take me for, an idiot?"
- General Charles de Gaulle (1890-1970), when a journalist asked him if he was happy

"I heard someone tried the monkeys-on-typewriters bit trying for the plays of W. Shakespeare, but all they got was the collected works of Francis Bacon."
- Bill Hirst

"Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do."
- Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

"A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines."

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid."

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
- Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)

"A man can't be too careful in the choice of his enemies."

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

"Logic is in the eye of the logician."
- Gloria Steinem

"No one can earn a million dollars honestly."
- William Jennings Bryan (1860-1925)

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live."

"Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech."
- Martin Fraquhar Tupper

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it."
- Moses Hadas (1900-1966)

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating."

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."
- Goethe (1749-1832)

"In the end, everything is a gag."
- Charlie Chaplin (1889-1977)

"The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people."
- Lucille S. Harper

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra

"I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."
- Walt Disney (1901-1966)

"He who hesitates is a d**ned fool."
- Mae West (1892-1980)

"Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater."
- Gail Godwin

"University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small."
- Henry Kissinger (1923-)

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men."
- Charles de Gaulle (1890-1970)

"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty."
- Sacha Guitry (1885-1957)

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime."
- Honore de Balzac (1799-1850)

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
- Aristotle Onassis (1906-1975)

"I am not young enough to know everything."

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."

"I don't even butter my bread; I consider that cooking."
- Katherine Cebrian

"I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it."
- Steven Wright

"Mr. Wagner has beautiful moments but bad quarters of an hour."
- Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868)

"Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure."
- Oliver Herford (1863-1935)

"I have read your book and much like it."
- Moses Hadas (1900-1966)

"The covers of this book are too far apart."

"Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them."
- Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971)

"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West (1892-1980)

"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."
- Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

"No Sane man will dance."
- Cicero (106-43 B.C.)

"Hell is a half-filled auditorium."
- Robert Frost (1874-1963)

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)

"Vote early and vote often."
- Al Capone (1899-1947)

"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"Few things are harder to put up with than a good example."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"Hell is other people."

"I am become death, shatterer of worlds."
- Robert J. Oppenheimer (1904-1967) (citing from the Bhagavad Gita, after witnessing the world's first nuclear explosion)

"Happiness is good health and a bad memory."
- Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)

"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate."
- Thomas Jones

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
- Al Capone (1899-1947)

"The gods too are fond of a joke."

"Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."

"The difference between pornography and erotica is lighting."
- Gloria Leonard

"It is time I stepped aside for a less experienced and less able man."
- Professor Scott Elledge on his retirement from Cornell

"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
- Robert Orben

"The cynics are right nine times out of ten."
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"There are some experiences in life which should not be demanded twice from any man, and one of them is listening to the Brahms Requiem."

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."
- Revelations 6:8

"Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

"Plato was a bore."

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal."
- Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)

"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

"Hemingway was a jerk."
- Harold Robbins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Men are not disturbed by things, but the view they take of things."
- Epictetus (55-135 A.D.)

"What about things like bullets?"
- Herb Kimmel, Behavioralist, Professor of Psychology, upon hearing the above quote (1981)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How can I lose to such an idiot?"
- A shout from chessmaster Aaron Nimzovich (1886-1935)

"Not only is there no God, but try finding a plumber on Sunday."
- Woody Allen (1935-)

"I don't feel good."
- The last words of Luther Burbank (1849-1926)

"Nothing is wrong with California that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure."
- Ross MacDonald (1915-1983)

"Men have become the tools of their tools."

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"It is now possible for a flight attendant to get a pilot pregnant."
- Richard J. Ferris, president of United Airlines

"I never miss a chance to have sex or appear on television."
- Gore Vidal

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
- Woody Allen (1935-)

"Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other alternatives."
- Abba Eban (1915-2002)

"To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me."
- Charles William Stubbs

"Sanity is a madness put to good uses."
- George Santayana (1863-1952)

"Imitation is the sincerest form of television."
- Fred Allen (1894-1956)

"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take."
- Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)

"Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research."
- Wilson Mizner (1876-1933)

"Why don't you write books people can read?"
- Nora Joyce to her husband James (1882-1941)

"Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers."
- T. S. Eliot (1888-1965)

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."

"It is better to be quotable than to be honest."
- Tom Stoppard

"Being on the tightrope is living; everything else is waiting."
- Karl Wallenda

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu

"A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar."
- Lao-Tzu (570?-490? BC)

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
- Alan Kay

"Never mistake motion for action."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

"Hell is paved with good samaritans."
- William M. Holden

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

"Silence is argument carried out by other means."
- Ernesto"Che"Guevara (1928-1967)

"Well done is better than well said."
- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

"The average person thinks he isn't."
- Father Larry Lorenzoni

"Heav'n hath no rage like love to hatred turn'd, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn'd."
- William Congreve (1670-1729)

"A husband is what is left of the lover after the nerve has been extracted."
- Helen Rowland (1876-1950)

"Learning is what most adults will do for a living in the 21st century."
- Lewis Perelman

"Dogma is the sacrifice of wisdom to consistency."
- Lewis Perelman

"Sometimes it is not enough to our best; we must do what is required."

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."

"There is a country in Europe where multiple-choice tests are illegal."
- Sigfried Hulzer

"Ask her to wait a moment - I am almost done."
- Carl Friedrich Gauss (1777-1855), while working, when informed that his wife is dying

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

"I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat!"
- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" "
- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

"The backbone of surprise is fusing speed with secrecy."
- Von Clausewitz (1780-1831)

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."
- Irving Kristol

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C', the idea must be feasible."
- A Yale University management professor in response to student Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
- H. M. Warner (1881-1958), founder of Warner Brothers, in 1927

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."
- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood."
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC, AKA Marcus Porcius Cato)

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know."
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)

"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1841-1935)

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."
- Tom Clancy

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."
- Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), "The Prince"

"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."
- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

"The President has kept all of the promises he intended to keep."
- Clinton aide George Stephanopolous speaking on Larry King Live

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
- Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks

"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
- Yogi Berra

"There is only one nature - the division into science and engineering is a human imposition, not a natural one. Indeed, the division is a human failure; it reflects our limited capacity to comprehend the whole."
- Bill Wulf

"There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher."
- Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

"I criticize by creation - not by finding fault."
- Cicero (106-43 B.C.)

"Love is friendship set on fire."
- Jeremy Taylor

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time."
- Robin Williams, commenting on the Clinton/Lewinsky affair

"My occupation now, I suppose, is jail inmate."
- Unibomber Theodore Kaczynski, when asked in court what his current profession was

"Woman was God's second mistake."

"This isn't right, this isn't even wrong."
- Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958), upon reading a young physicist's paper

"For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing."

"Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
- Voltaire (1694-1778) on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan.

"Fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run."
- Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

"He would make a lovely corpse."
- Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."
- Irvin S. Cobb

"I worship the quicksand he walks in."
- Art Buchwald

"Wagner's music is better than it sounds."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A poem is never finished, only abandoned."
- Paul Valery (1871-1945)

"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction."
- General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964)

"If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?"
- Seymour Cray (1925-1996), father of supercomputing

"#3 pencils and quadrille pads."
- Seymoure Cray (1925-1996) when asked what CAD tools he used to design the Cray I supercomputer; he also recommended using the back side of the pages so that the grid lines were not so dominant.

"Interesting - I use a Mac to help me design the next Cray."
- Seymoure Cray (1925-1996) when he was told that Apple Inc. had recently bought a Cray supercomputer to help them design the next Mac.

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
- Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.

"I choose a block of marble and chop off whatever I don't need."
- Francois-Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), when asked how he managed to make his remarkable statues

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"The truth is more important than the facts."

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
- Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Thank you by Professor Gabriel Robins
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2005, 06:55:36 PM »
The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.

Peter Drucker
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The infinitely quoteable Will Rogers
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2005, 11:24:59 AM »
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.
Will Rogers

An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable invented to make them laugh.
Will Rogers

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?
Will Rogers

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
Will Rogers

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers

Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat.
Will Rogers

I was not a child prodigy, because a child prodigy is a child who knows as much when it is a child as it does when it grows up.
Will Rogers

I'm not a real movie star. I've still got the same wife I started out with twenty-eight years ago.
Will Rogers

- More quotations on: [Marriage]
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
Will Rogers

- More quotations on: [Gossip]
Nothing you can't spell will ever work.
Will Rogers

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.
Will Rogers

- More quotations on: [Democracy]
Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators.
Will Rogers

Politics is applesauce.
Will Rogers

- More quotations on: [Politics]
Take the diplomacy out of war and the thing would fall flat in a week.
Will Rogers

- More quotations on: [War]
The best doctor in the world is the veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter-he's got to just know.
Will Rogers

The movies are the only business where you can go out front and applaud yourself.
Will Rogers

The only time people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them.
Will Rogers

There ought to be one day-- just one-- when there is open season on senators.
Will Rogers

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers

- More quotations on: [Government] [Humor]
This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.
Will Rogers

- More quotations on: [Congress]
We are all here for a spell; get all the good laughs you can.
Will Rogers

We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.
Will Rogers

- More quotations on: [Heroes]
We don't know what we want, but we are ready to bite somebody to get it.
Will Rogers

Rumor travels faster, but it don't stay put as long as truth.
Will Rogers, 'Politics Getting Ready to Jell,' The Illiterate Digest, 1924

There is only one thing that can kill the Movies, and that is education.
Will Rogers, Autobiography (1949) chapter 6

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
Will Rogers, Illiterate Digest (1924), "Breaking into the Writing Game"

- More quotations on: [Politics]
The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.
Will Rogers, Illiterate Digest (1924), "Helping the Girls with their Income Taxes"

- More quotations on: [Taxes] [Golf]
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else.
Will Rogers, Illiterate Digest (1924), "Warning to Jokers: lay off the prince"
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2005, 01:15:17 PM »
More MoonHunter quotes

MoonHunter: Sometimes the old traditional path is important and symbolic and sometimes it is just old.

MoonHunter: Write or Write NOT, there is no Try.

MoonHunter: Write or Write NOT, I do not care. Just stop calling yourself a writer until you write.

MoonHunter: JUST DO IT!
MoonHunter: Yes, life is a Nike commercial.

MoonHunter: All you really need to do in life is breath, everything else is negotiable.

MoonHunter: Since life is really that simple, you might as well do it right.
Re: rhythmic breathing exercises

MoonHunter: There are three professions a wise man should not do: Magician, Game Designer, and Used Car Salesman. Unfortunately for me, I have been all three.  (feel free to insert Writer in the place of Game Designer)

Some more fun ones.....
MoonHunter: Another dark dingy lair? Can't we ever track monsters to Hawaii or someplace nice?

MoonHunter: Of course there are monsters in the real world. Haven't you every baby sat several children at once?

Curious: What is the difference between a serial killer and a monster?
MoonHunter: The serial killer scares me.
or
MoonHunter: The serial killer is covered in Time and Newsweek, monster is covered in The National Inquirer and The Star. Really that is the only difference.
...The serial killer is more evil than most monsters.

MoonHunter: Who thought one of duties of an Adept would be antiquing in the back country and stopping at every estate sale?

Curious: Why do wizards always live in creepy old houses far away from people?
MoonHunter: Well it has something to do with the demons that occasionally escape... Your average home owners association frowns upon that.

Curious: Why are wizards all so rich?
MoonHunter: It is not from the pay, I will tell you that.

Curious: No really, why are wizards all so rich?
MoonHunter: We don't get out much, so we save all that money that you would spend on concerts, clubs, drinks, movies, dates, personal electronics, fashionable clothing, and so on.  After a few decades, it really adds up.

Curious: You're a member of the Country Club?
MoonHunter: Well a few well placed precognitive stock tips, a little blackmail, and sure anyone can get in. Besides, somebody has to run the dungeon they have beneith this place.

MoonHunter: Grunt. Isn't this why we occasionally make thick strong guys apprentices... even through they don't have a lick of talent."
While lifting some furniture

MoonHunter: "Oh look, pretty faery lights. Apprentice, sic um"
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2005, 01:39:34 AM »
Curious: What is the difference between a serial killer and a monster?
MoonHunter: The serial killer scares me.
or
MoonHunter: The serial killer is covered in Time and Newsweek, monster is covered in The National Inquirer and The Star. Really that is the only difference.
...The serial killer is more evil than most monsters.

I'm still trying to find the difference between pc's and serial killers (re:  the index for Death: The Pale Horse)

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2005, 03:55:17 PM »
Movies are just like life, with all the boring parts cut out.
Alfred Hitchcock

Games are just like Movies, except you have to participate.
MoonHunter

After giving a spew of links and game related information, just what the person needed.

"Did anyone every mention you are a God?"
"It has been mentioned before..."

I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable. I will be very quotable.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Quotes...got any?
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2005, 11:20:57 AM »
DAN  QUAYLE ISMS:

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy, but that could change."

"If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure."

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

"This President is going to lead us out of this recovery."

"What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

"We're going to have the best educated American people in the world."

"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."

"My friends, no matter how rough the road may be, we can and we will, never, never surrender to what is right."

"I deserve respect for the things I did not do."

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

"For NASA, space is still a high priority."

"The best thing about rain forests is they never suffer from drought."

"Bank failures are caused by depositors who don't deposit enough money to cover losses due to mismanagement."

Thanks for all the Gut Busters, Mr. Quayle
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2005, 01:36:22 PM »
One man's magic is another man's engineering. Supernatural is a null word.
-Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love

An armed society is a polite society.
-Beyond This Horizon

Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.

I've never understood how God could expect His creatures to pick the one true religion by faith. It strikes me as a sloppy way to run a universe.
-Jubal Harshaw, Stranger in a Strange Land

History does not record anywhere a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help.

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other sins are invented nonsense.

A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright.

Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
-Professor Bernardo de la Paz, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.

The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
-still searchin’

If you happen to be one of the fretful minority who can do creative work, never force an idea; you’ll abort it if you do. Be patient and you'll give birth to it when the time is ripe. Learn to wait.

The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive.

Being intelligent is not a felony. But most societies evaluate it as at least a misdemeanor.
-Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love

Learning isn't a means to an end; it's an end in and of itself.
-still searchin

brainpower is the scarcest commodity and the only one of real value.
-that also sounds like Lazarus

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Courage is the complement of fear. A man who is fearless cannot be courageous. (He is also a fool.)

Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.
-Jubal Harshaw, Stranger in a Strange Land

First, what is it you want us to pay taxes for? Tell me what I get and perhaps I'll buy it.
-Manuel Kelly, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, withouT a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.

Does history record any case in which the majority was right?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:40:24 PM by MoonHunter »
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Some interesting quotes from a different perspective
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2005, 04:00:23 PM »
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/frederick_douglas.html

A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great nation requires reflection, as well as observation, to appreciate it.
Frederick Douglas

A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me.
Frederick Douglas

A man's character always takes its hue, more or less, from the form and color of things about him.
Frederick Douglas

America is false to the past, false to the present, and solemnly binds herself to be false to the future.
Frederick Douglas

At a time like this, scorching iron, not convincing argument, is needed.
Frederick Douglas

Fugitive slaves were rare then, and as a fugitive slave lecturer, I
had the advantage of being the first one out.
Frederick Douglas

I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never  intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress.
Frederick Douglas

I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglas

I have observed this in my experience of slavery, that whenever my condition was improved, instead of increasing my contentment, it only increased my desire to be free, and set me to thinking of plans to gain my freedom. I have found that, to make a contented slave, it is necessary to make a thoughtless one.
Frederick Douglas

I recognize the Republican party as the sheet anchor of the colored man's political hopes and the ark of his safety.
Frederick Douglas

I was broken in body, soul, and spirit. My natural elasticity was
crushed, my intellect languished, the disposition to read departed;
the cheerful spark that lingered about my eye died; the dark night
of slavery closed upon me; and behold a man transformed into a
brute!
Frederick Douglas

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
Frederick Douglas

Man's greatness consists in his ability to do and the proper application of his powers to things needed to be done.
Frederick Douglas

No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck.
Frederick Douglas

People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.
Frederick Douglas

Slaves are generally expected to sing as well as to work.
Frederick Douglas

The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.
Frederick Douglas

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose.
Frederick Douglas
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©