llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Check this out, please  (Read 2288 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ra

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« on: January 28, 2004, 07:57:11 AM »
I?ve taken a look at game play here, and I can?t quite work out how it works as a D + D type game. Anyway, I have some suggestions for how a game could be played in Misc and Homebrew. I?ve called it RESCUE MISSION. If anyone?s interested, please go to RESCUE MISSION in Misc.and help me design a new game/play method.

My suggested plot is that Ra is imprisoned in a castle, and the players have to rescue him. I volunteer to DM for the trial game. I have DMed before, and can build a dungeon with puzzles and surprises.

The basic idea is having three threads, one in Misc. outlining the game as normal, one dungeon thread, and a players communication lounge where the DM must not go. I have developed some ideas to make the game play and be fair. I would like to develop this idea with the people here, and am keen on getting comments and input, even if it?s only, ?That?s already been tried.? Well if it has, I reckon I?m heading in the right direction to make it work.

Offline Magus

• Knight
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »
Well ra, ive been here about two months now, and ill tell you what i have learned so far. This site isn't a DnD  site, dnd is only used as a reference since probably every member of the site has played it at some point or another. But mostly the way we roleplay here is mostly that we are givin a foundation, and we build upon that foundation fiting the personallities of the characters that we take on. your idea isn't necisarily a bad one, but if you consider the space that would be taken up, and the complication of the fact that everyone would virtually be posting at the same time. i really don't think your idea would work.
the road keeps on telling me to go on

Offline Ra

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 07:40:41 PM »
Fair enough, Magus. I count that as a no vote. You see, what interests me is how you play this game you're playing. How does it work? I'm very new to RPG, as it stands today. I am an avid RPG player, but I play my own game. I can't see anywhere labeled instructions on how to play. In short, I'm lost, but what you're doing looks a lot of fun and I want to join in. How do you decide what happens?

I still think having a player's only thread would be worth the space. That way, the players could plot against the DM. Still, this is Strolen's Citadel, and if no one's interested, it's no skin off my nose. I just thought it would be a fun game. And I was only suggesting one game, which wouldn't be too space consuming. I wasn't suggesting that you change your method of play. Anyway, it's posted now. If that was a faux pas, I'm very sorry, can someone please put me straight.

Your post is most informative, and I thank you.

)O+   +O(

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 08:37:09 PM »
There aren't any rules, man.
It's like telling a story. Each person adds a portion to the story, so-on, so-on.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ra

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 11:03:13 AM »
So it's basically 'consequences'? Without folding the paper? I see. Is this usual? I've heard about Freeform Roleplaying only recently. It sounds a bit like playing poker without the cards at the moment. It might take me some time to adjust to this, as I've never played a game without confirmation of hits. So you just say, 'I've killed the monster' and that's it? Doesn't the DM have a say in it? (I suppose there is a DM, I've heard DM mentioned) You see, I last played serious RPG with other people back in 81, when D + D was quite new, so I'm very D + D oriented, apart from WWIII, which is a different matter entirely. Still, I can see that you lot are having a jolly time. Just tell yourself that I'm from another planet (planet Eris actually) and I might be able to understand better. Remember, you lot have been doing this for some time, and were probably introduced to it by a friend. I have just discovered you on the web, and really haven't got a clue. Step by step instructions on how to go about playing would be useful, otherwise I'm SURE I'm going to **** up someone's game. So far, I see it as taking turns writing a short story, which I call 'co-writing', not game playing, at the moment. Please enlighten me.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 04:02:32 PM »
The problem is there isn't any real way to give step by step instructions because basically you can do what you want.

There may be a person that starts the thread but usually the need for a DM is actually superfluous. If there is an actual DM guiding a game I believe it will be quite obvious.

In most of the cases somebody will write a turn. Based on the actions in that turn that is what you base your actions on. Sometimes there might be an overall plot line that is agreed upon but mostly each person that posts is waiting for the other person to post to see what is going to happen. It is entirely an interactive story built by the players and any player can add/change/end plot lines as the appropriateness and common sense of the story dictates.

Anybody can effect the plot, you can kill monsters very easily if you wish but you should figure out what is appropriate in that particular game by the way it progresses.

It is something you just have to jump in and try because in a lot of ways each game is totally different and my definition may not fit a particular games definition. Once you are in and posting you will start to see the continuity between posts and how far you can go.

The biggest rule is don't mess with another character's life unless it has been agreed upon.

I like this quote from http://www.heimsnet.is/thestone/rp/freeform.htm

So, What is "Freeform" then?

"Freeform" does away with some (or all) of the numbers and depends on people explaining, rather than rolling dice, to do anything. The emphasis is on having FUN rather than search through volumes of books that try to forsee every possibility... and generate a suitable die roll for it.
Freeform is not for "power players" or "rule lawyers" - Where they try to manipulate flaws in the system to make absurdly exaggerated characters, who can do anything. Where's the fun in that? Even God likes a challenge!

Our version of "Freeform" is a system where the players describe their characters, making long memorable stories about the character's history... Then plays the character in a group with like minded friends, who want to have a good time.

It is very important, when using Freeform to have an impartial GM (Game Master... although some of our GMs have actually turned out to be Gay Masters *ahem* but that's another story!). For Freeform to work, you need a GM you can trust - and away you go adventuring as your newly fleshed out character!

Another logical direction our campaigns took was that EVERYONE was a GM... and players followed the plot of whoever had the most interesting one. This meant everyone was feverishly creative. Which was nice. The main idea is to have FUN. If people have fun, they always come back for more. Why do you think fairgrounds have always been so popular! People even pay good money to go on the rides! That means they must be doing something right.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ra

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 04:51:21 PM »
Right, that makes sense. Thanks. One point though. Am I allowed to, say, move someone’s character in a fight scene (as long as they don’t get hurt)? Or do I just move my own Character? And if there’s a choice of directions to go in, could I get the group to go in a certain direction, or would I have to discuss it with the other players?

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 07:18:56 PM »
Well, it will depend on the game. Control other people's characters...there is a fine line and the general answer is NO. You can imply something to them and allow them to react to it but it is bad manners to take over somebody else's character. You have to think, would you be annoyed if somebody did something to your character without asking? There are different levels to this answer and it depends on who you are playing with. In a fight, I say don't touch my character, I may have my own plans and freeform allows a lot of improptu fun stuff.

You can't force anybody to go anywhere if they don't want to. To get the group to go in a certain direction you would have to have a debate unless you were designated, in the group, as the leader and know they will follow you. Treat it just like you would in real roleplaying, the choices should be discussed and decided upon as a group for the most part.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ra

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Check this out, please
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 07:38:33 PM »
Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.