llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What do you play?  (Read 18359 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: What do you play?
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »
Everything levels with you... Peasants wearing glass armour... :(
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Golden Creator NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2007, 05:27:43 AM »
Alpha Centauri and Civilization 4.

Ever noticed that Supply Crawlers don't require support, and can provide up to 7 energy when placed on a high hill or borehole? Oh my oh my.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2007, 08:20:16 AM »
Everything levels with you... Peasants wearing glass armour... :(

Or rats killing a level 15 wizard in one bite...
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Golden Creator NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2007, 07:24:59 AM »
Starcraft!
man. addicitive.

As to celebrate Blizzard's future release of the sequel, imaginatevily named StarCraft 2, I made a campaign for SC1 and BroodWar - 6 levels so far, go and get them at:

http://www.animecrew.org/attachments/MyCampaign.rar

(some not playtested yet)

updated version
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:01:21 PM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »
X-Com 3: Apopcalypse (oooooldie)
Love the X-Com series. I hope Firaxis does a replay on them. Wouldn't hurt Firaxis to be creative though. A new feature or two would be welcome. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" only goes that far.

Ghost Recon 2: Advanced Warfighter (X-Box 360)
Ohmagawd! I finished this game after two days of random gameplay. Ridiculously easy, even on the hardest difficulty level. Must be one of those "geared for multiplayer" games.

Story was decent though. Badass Mexican rebels trying to nuke the US, so you guys better watch those wetbacks! :p

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2007, 09:32:51 PM »
TES IV: Oblivion

Meh.  Call me an infidel, but this game just got too boring for me.  Glitchy ragdolls, horribly balanced leveled lists, only 5 guilds...  This game is far surpassed by Morrowind in my opinion.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2007, 02:42:05 AM »
Midnight Pool on my new cell phone

bwahaha

I'm going to have to cough up some money and buy the full game now that I defeat the demo with such grace and ease

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
Pariah...

:up:
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2007, 05:21:50 AM »
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
The new faction introduced made me love this game, but the end sessions are insanely difficult. Also, playing NOD is annoying at times as they are depicted as bad guys in a cartoonish manner (unrealistic good guy / bad guy approach... Including cliche voice acting and then some).

But the game was neat nevertheless. The between session videos featured lots of celebrities, including a couple from Battlestar Galactica (the new series). Unfortunately the acting was poor at best and horrid at worst. The props looked ridiculous too.

Oh well. I loved the game. It is recommended to all those who enjoy games like Warcraft (not WoW), Starcraft and so on.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2007, 01:03:17 PM »
So. I've seen a few names of games I enjoy and play occasionally.

Starcraft and the expansion Brood War. My first introduction to RTS games, and I've never found one more fun. Infinite replay value. Plus the capability for player campaigns is rather nice (even if you can't have the flowing from level to level easily like the built in campaigns).

World of Warcraft. Huge game world. Can get boring at times, but if you enjoy your character and seeing the world, you'll enjoy the game. I had a character spend at least 2 months at the same level just because I wanted to see the world and explore. Made everyone look at me like I was nuts.

C&C Generals was a good one. Zero Hour helped add new content to make things interesting. Always wrecked the computers though, since the programmers never fixed a memory leak. Eventually your game would crash because you'd run out of memory. But it was still a fun game, if you saved often enough.

Tiberium Wars is a fun one as well. I went through it until the aliens invaded, then called it quits and haven't played since. Haaaaaard to beat. I'll probably go at it again some other time. I'm loving SC too much right now though.

Even though this is the computer games, I have to mention Chrono Trigger for the SNES. That was hands down the most fun I've ever had in a game. Great storyline, great replay value. When I first went through it, I was loving it. I still do. I wish other games could give me that same sense of wonder and adventure when I play them for the first time. That game is still one of the highlights of my youth.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2007, 03:31:43 AM »
Chaosmark: Re Tiberium Wars:

Keywords: Mammoth Tanks, Stealth Tanks. Lots of 'em. They'll make you win in the end. Just build up a task force of 20 or so mammoths and just plow through the levels.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 04:07:07 AM »
Isn't there a problem that a huge number of mammoth tanks will NOT solve?
*What? My credit card is empty? But see, there, the mammoth tank? I bet you will give me the stuff for free.
*What? I only got 40 % of the votes? Who cares, I got the tanks, so hand me the presidential seat!
*What? The guy drives a Ferrari and all the chicks dig him? Well, let's see how many dig me when I cruise through the neighborhood in my new Mammoth tank!

Ehm. Yup.

Anyways, Civ4 is a rather decent game. Lots of options, and one thing I consider both a boon and a curse: war is difficult. In all the previous Civilization games, you could just roll over the opposition, even Alpha Centauri supported 'shoot first, ask later'. Not so Civilization 4 - cities are difficult to take, sieges protracted, army expensive, and longbowmen holed up in a city on a hill just a plain pain in the ass. And, save-loading doesn't work (the horror! the horror!).
Also, you cannot use roads on your opponent's territory, meaning that your army moves like a slug. I don't know who is going to keep my war elephant from using the road, but... Sid thought it would be funnier so.

What does it mean for the gamer? More thinking, first. Plus, restarting a game when he's stuck on a crappy piece of the continent with a computer on far superior ground, usually.

Other than that, the culture system is interesting, the diplomacy OK (watch out for the disbelievers! You're bound to have bad relationships with people of a different faith) and the social order system (divided into Government, Legal, Labor, Religion...) quite alright. A certain bias is visible, as Representative and Universal Suffrage systems are far superior in game-mechanics to Monarchy and Police States...

All in all: Echo recommends.

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »

C&C Generals was a good one. Zero Hour helped add new content to make things interesting. Always wrecked the computers though, since the programmers never fixed a memory leak. Eventually your game would crash because you'd run out of memory. But it was still a fun game, if you saved often enough.

You might not have played red alert/red alert 2, then.

I prefer to play RA in 680x480 after spending an hour to install it on vista (resolving backwards compatibility issues (it doesn't help that I have a french language version)) than to play generals. RA2 was a pretty improvement on the first one, too, and multiplayer play is one of the most fun from any multiplayer RTS, especially if you get the yuri's revenge expansion.

They both have vastly superior balance, mechanics and playability over Generals, in my opinion. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with any game as generals, to be honest.

Might have to rent Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars to see if the spirit of C&C is back, because I felt it was definitely lost in generals.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2007, 09:57:33 AM »
Lately: A lot of online Ghost Recon. Some of the multiplayer levels are fun, but others are only grenade throwing contests, where 14 year olds have practiced throwing from a safe location to the spawn locations of the enemy.

*Spawn*

*DIE*

*Spawn*

*DIE*

Yeah, nuff said.

The single player scenarios of both Ghost Recon 1 and 2 are cool. Better than the Splinter Cell scenarios, IMHO.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2007, 07:26:03 PM »
CS1.6

Makes me happy I can play again, though I've lost any skill I once possessed, and now am lucky to get 2/9 kd.  Oh, and I hates bots...
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2007, 06:57:33 AM »
Bioshock.

Hehehehehe.....

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2007, 05:26:24 PM »
Oh man! Bioshock was BEAUTIFUL!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2007, 05:30:12 PM »
Already finished it???

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »
I don't play PC games so much, I'm a PS2 girl.  (And the fact that my PC isn't machine enough to run most games doesn't help.)

Right now I'm in the middle of Final Fantasy IX.  Gorgeous game, and an engaging story so far.  Course, that's the cartoony looking one, may not be for everyone.

Recently finished Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner.  Fairly odd, fairly creepy, very high up on the "FTW" meter.  Didn't have a clue what was going on until the final twenty minutes of the game.  But it was pretty and creepy and fed my odd obsession for monster collecting, so I liked it.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on DS is interesting too.  Sort of like a console-based logic puzzle.  And all the characters are insanely full of special.  It's funny, but you have to put a lot of thought into it.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2007, 06:57:05 PM »
Yes, I finished it. I did one mistake: I went through the levels too quickly, so some parts of it is a blur. If I should do it again, I'd savour the levels, playing them one by one and not rushing it.

The game is perfection.

Notice they stole elements from Fallout, the good elements like the music, the 40s and 50s vibe, and well... It worked.

This game is a true gem.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2007, 10:33:33 AM »
Already finished it???
you can play it at a slow pace in about three sittings of three-four hours (very slow pace). And I agree with AG. that game is ace.

The big daddy. Only gets better when you get to track fontaine.

By the way, AG which ending did you get. Had to replay it again to get the good ending.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
Good ending.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2007, 02:28:45 PM »
Rogue Galaxy. While it appears to be a kids' game, it has fun gameplay, action-loaded combat, puzzles, amiable characters and gorgeous graphics and music.

For the PS2 - get it, Ria.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2007, 09:26:14 PM »
*adds to list*
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Dragonlordmax

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2007, 08:36:05 PM »
Well, let's see.

Some games I enjoy that aren't mentioned here include:

1. Hearts of Irons II - The ultimate WWII game, in my opinion. Grand strategy level, and the ability to play any country in the world adds a lot - being able to militarize, say Turkey, and try to take over the Middle East is almost as much fun as actually recreating history. The format works well, and the real-time element never seems to go too quickly.

2. Fantasy General - A much older game; basically the fantasy equivalent of Panzer General. It does, however, boast more variety, as well as a magic system. Plus, leading armies of werebears and steampunk-like mechs against the sinister Shadowlord never gets old.

3. God of Thunder - An even older game, now available as Freeware (http://liberatedgames.com/game.php?game_id=110). Playing as Thor is, in itself, amusing, but the game boasts some humour of its own, as well as fine puzzles and solid action.
He who says little speaks two syllables.
-God of Thunder