llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What do you play?  (Read 18533 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
What do you play?
« on: October 25, 2002, 06:59:13 AM »
I mean Computer Games, people!

What do you kill your time with, relax, or whatever? Not necessarily the last ones, but the most loved ones, even those with age-old graphics... Come on, admit it.

My first dungeon was The Eye of the Beholder 2. Somehow never got the same feeling, maybe with the still older Dungeon Master. Nearer gets the 'brand new' ADOM, but that looks yet older than those 2.

Strategy? Transport Tycoon Deluxe!

Killer? I mean action based. Hmm... ah, there was the Duke Nukem. Seldom need this one though.

Well, looks like oldies. Now what does it tell about one? A walking anachronism. Do YOU have some still in love?
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 11:01:18 AM »
Hmmmm. It has been awhile. I own TONS of games, but play them very rarely.

All time Favorite==Realms of the Haunting!!
One of the few games I have played through to the end...Twice.

Diablo = awesome, mindless fun. Loved the cut scenes.

Duke Nukem is always the classic! Nothing beats it as far as in game comments and such. What other game lets you take a piss and tip strippers? Great fun!!!
Half life would be the next on that list.

Warcraft kicked ass. "I'm ready. I'm not ready" my favorite quote by the two headed monster thing.

Age of Empires I played forever and is something I would still go back to.

CARMAGEDDON!!!!!!! FUN FUN FUN.

Bought Baldur's Gate but never got around to it. Still on my list to play but I highly doubt I will ever have time. I never play games anymore. Wish I could. If I have time, I should be coding the Chopping Cart  :P

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2002, 12:45:02 PM »
Lessee...
Age of Empires was good.  
Starcraft is very cool.  You just can't get any better than the marine saying "Gimme something to shoot."
Um...  Dungeon Keeper (1 and 2) was kind of neat.
I really like puzzle games, like Pandora's Box and The Incredible Machine.
Shining Force is, of course, a classic.  You just can't get much more basic.
I play a lot of game-system emualtors.  I think my favorite games at the moment are the Legend of Zelda series.  (I'm aware it's for Nintendo, but I only play it on my computer, so in my book they're computer games.)

Um... I think that's about it.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2002, 05:17:13 PM »
My wife is the puzzler. Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, that type of thing. She loves them. Bought Mist and Riven but both are in school now so neither of us have time for games. :cry:

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2002, 11:29:47 PM »
I know how that goes...  I probably spend way too much time goofing off.
I might have to try Monkey Island or that other game you mentioned.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2002, 03:31:35 AM »
The Myst, Riven, Exile trilogy is my favourite of all time (though I haven't finished Exile yet). And Strolen, finishing Riven is imperative. It's a brilliant game.

Another good one is Lords of the Realm II, quite an old strategy game based in medieval England (or Europe, or basically anywhere they designed a map for) where you control a county/country and try and attack the other landlords to become ruler. Unfortunately LOTR* II only had a multiplayer function if you played online, so when I wanted to run multiplayer campaigns at home with my friends I had to write my own version in VB in Excel so that we could play.

The other (outdated) but fun game I have is Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective, where you visit various places and conduct interviews (or rather watch videos of Holmes conducting interviews) and solve mysteries.

eph!

*avoid obvious confusion!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline manfred

• Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 03:25:25 AM »
Starcraft, Warcraft, like them also. Hmmm... puzzle? Ah! Try Day of the Tentacle, thats a fun one.

For some mindless-innocent-people-killing recommend GTA.

Offline Kitara

• Apprentice
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2002, 04:51:58 AM »
Grim Fandango was my favorite.  I had to cheat a little because I admit that I couldn't figure out some of the puzzles.  Safecracker was a fun one too and it's a pretty cheap game.  I think I paid $10 for it.  It's straight puzzles the whole game.  Hmmm, do I like puzzles?  The Monkey Island series of games are good, but the newer ones have gotten increasingly better so if you haven't played any start with the newer ones, not the older ones.  Hmmm, what else?  Oh yea, I liked Leisure Suit Larry.  Pretty brainless, but fun when you don't want to have to think too hard.

Can't think of any else right now.  I haven't had time in a while to sit down and play.

Oh yea, and I bought Atlantis and finished a small portion of it, but the user interface got so incredibly annoying I had to smash it.  The graphics were pretty good, but blech.  Couldn't deal with the interface.

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2002, 02:37:36 PM »
Favorite Dungeon game: Nethack

The only game I've ever played where upgrading to graphic actually worsened the game play. It follows D&D quite a bit and is quite challenging.

I've also found this great action puzzle game called Seven Seas (no relation to the RPG of the same name). Use strategy and tactics to defeat pirates trying to sink you. Use cannons for broadsides and run like hell from that f#*@%%*@# Blue Buccaner! Popcap games puts it out.

I have a huge listing of old games I play on my computer. My computer is older (133mhz!) and can't handle most of the new stuff out there so I find abondoned games and grab them. Zelda Rules!
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2003, 06:29:29 PM »
I have to say that Nethack is truly the ultimate game of all time for adventure RPGs.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2003, 09:29:18 PM »
Yarr, Day of the Tentacle, Morrowind, Icewind Dale one and two, Baldur's Gate one and two, and many, many more.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2003, 09:40:01 PM »
Hmm, nethack sounds good.  I've never heard of it but the name alone sounds worth looking into

Favorite games:
Warcraft I, II, III
Starcraft and Starcraft Broodwar (got me though five years in Spain)
Red Alert II, Red Alert II Yuri's Revenge

-Mindless entertainment subsection
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake I, II, III <-kind of

-Console
Shadow run (Sega)
Zelda is a timeless classic, if I still owned a Nintendo, I'd own that game
If I am wrong, it is probably because you misunderstand me

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2003, 09:45:20 PM »
Nethack's been under continual refinement and upgrade for the last fifteen years or so. As a result, since it's difficult to upgrade ASCII graphics. As a result, all of the coding has gone to making a better, more solid game with clean, tight code.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2003, 09:47:33 PM »
Hmm.... Nethack, aye? Where could me find some of this Nethack!?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2003, 09:48:39 PM »
The Lemmings is an amusing game.  Um... some of my friends have become addicted to The Sims, for reasons I cannot fathom.  I think my favorite mindless game, though, would have to be something out of the Rampage series.  World Tour possibly.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2003, 10:10:47 PM »
I'd suggest going to http://www.nethack.org/ for the main page.

Just expect to die a lot at first.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2003, 10:16:11 PM »
looks oddly interesting...

hmm

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2003, 10:17:59 PM »
You have no idea... It's addictive, and known by many other names.

Including Gradewrecker.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2003, 11:35:22 PM »
Time is so scarce that anything I do is a grade wrecker.  Posting this message is probably wrecking my grade and class does not even start until Thursday
 :?

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2003, 01:21:44 PM »
Somehow I seriously doubt that this is a gradewrecker.

I love Rampage. I haven't played it since my parents threw out our commadore 64 :oops:. I made it all the way to Toronto once.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2003, 04:01:29 PM »
<sigh><fond reflection>

Rampage....

</sigh></fond reflection>

That was a classic.

There was another classic I remember called Rampart (?). Low D graphics, video arcade mostly, although I know they made it later for games, Object: build a castle wall that completely surrounds an area. Only limit for size is the time limit. Then you put in cannons. Then you try and blow up your opponants walls, then rebuild. Ships come into play eventually. Winner is the one that can continue to rebuild their castly in time.

I liked that game!

Level 3

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2003, 05:11:51 PM »
Ahhh... If your grade is truly so delicate, you should avoid Nethack! Fifteen years of continual work has made it one of the most addictive games I've ever seen!

I've been playing it for about three or four years now, and I've never beaten it - or hit a true moment of triumph, beyond the occasional joys of a blessed +3 grey dragon scale mail...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2003, 10:52:26 PM »
I may have to avoid it.  

But what the hell, I spend my time here or there so it doesn't really matter which distraction I burn it up on.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2003, 06:01:51 AM »
It seems to me Nethack is not too different from ADOM. Maybe because ADOM is inspired by Nethack.

I guess I will try THE original!

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
What do you play?
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2003, 11:48:04 AM »
ADOM, Moria, Nethack are all inspirared, along with SLASH'EM, NH+, and the like, are all outgrowths of the original game known as Rogue.

There's a tribute to Rogue - a level which perfectly mirrors that antique game.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"