Priest
0 (0%)
Rogue
4 (26.7%)
Other
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: October 21, 2002, 03:00:54 PM

Author Topic: Favourite characters  (Read 3578 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« on: October 21, 2002, 03:00:54 PM »
I have never actually played a game of D&D as anything but a DM, so I don't have a favourite character that I've played. I mean obviously you grow quite attached to the first character you roll up when you're learning to roll up characters (mine was a half-elven bard called Alex the Fox). But I suppose everyone else will have characters they have loved to roleplay throughout the years. So I was wondering who they were: let's hear it!

What was the best character you ever played?

(The poll asks for your favourite character class: I've used the four AD&D categories because they're probably broad enough to encompass most generic characters. If you select other, tell us what class it is!)
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 05:02:45 PM »
Had to go with Other. Not sure where my Ranger characters would fit. I definately love them to have warrior skills, but rarely will play one without a roguish mentality.

Almost play my rangers like an assassin type. Sneaky, trying to stay out of sight, low profile. Stays away from the group when in town, sort of shadowing them watching for others doing the same to them. In the outdoors, obviously always the scout/tracker. Flitting in and out of the surrounding woods as quietly as possible. Love going ahead out of sight and then sneaking up on my own group to see if I can do it, to test me and them. They quickly learn how to use the 'perception' rules I love and then use them almost to distraction. But it makes it fun.

I love rangers. Only play other things when I have to.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 05:32:57 PM »
I usually play rogues or bards, or a cross of both.  I play one pseudo-ranger currently.  I like the type of characters that are more like "I'm going to try to talk so-and-so into such-and-such," rather than "I'm going to bash him."  Although bashing can be fun, if done in small amounts.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2002, 02:02:33 AM »
Although (as I said) I've not played a character before, I tend prefer creating wizards when I preroll them up for other people (like beginners). I think the wizard represents something of the freaky mathmo in me: arcane lore and all that. And I think the higher level spells are cool too: those prismatic ones in AD&D especially.

eph!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2002, 03:27:06 PM »
We tend to use some kind of fighters for beginners. Sometimes the rogue if that is what they prefer. Wizards can be difficult depending on the beginner. Lots of rules to learn, figure out what spells to memorize, lots of page flipping in unfamiliar books to read descriptions. Often it is easier to just drop them into a simple role of "you warrior, you hit bad guy, roll this dice" type of thing. They get into the groove and can move on from there.

I personally dislike wizards. I like the low magic worlds where most of the magic is in items and rings and such and not only available to wizards. My land of Aros is low magic with only Sand Magic is the useable magic (for now). Sand Mages must have sand otherwise they can't cast. And they can only carry so much and depending on the power of the spell is how much is used. I like that because it strictly limits the amount of magic, forces the mages to think harder about what they are going to cast, and also forces them to have other skills when they run out of the sand.

Level 3

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 02:22:46 PM »
My favorite character is my namesake, Agar.

After several years of trying to challenge myself by playing characters that stretched my role-playing limits, I decided I needed a break and made a big, dumb fighter. I mean Half orc with every stat except intelligence at racial max armed with a freaking polearm! Intelligence was a 2, the party tricked my a couple times and raised it to 4. The challenges of knowing the answer to a riddle as a player, but having a brick-for brain character was fun and exciting. Those rare times when you know what's going on and try to roll under your 2 intelligence and get a 1 are wonderful.

Since playing Agar, I have really apprieciated the challenges of a characters handicaps. Truly great characters rise out of being less than perfect.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline MudSlinger

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 05:50:02 PM »
hmmmm.......I grew quite attached to a fighter that I had back in the red box era.....didn't have an ability score above 12...and that was his INT..... a 9 Str, 10 Wis, 10 Con, 8 Dex, and a whopping 5 in Cha.......(yippie!)

Still have the original sheet to.....got him up to 7th lvl......and Red Matt the Turbulent died in the mouth of a t-rex on the Isle of Dread.....<sigh>

Offline forgottengods

• Adept
    • Awards
no priests?
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 02:24:03 AM »
why not priest ??
the new gods of palladium have arrive  you can run and hide but soon you willl die.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 04:46:19 AM »
Vote for one, and there he will be!

Priests are hard to do right. Most of them seem to me like a variant magic-user with some attitudes.

Not that other classes are "easy". They are as challenging as you make them for yourself. :wink:
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 03:58:57 PM »
I don't know if this would fit into priest, but I prefer to be druids. I always liked classes with connections to nature. A close second to druid would be ranger and third would be monk.

I had a druid named Bran the Black Raven. He was lvl 17 but he died when he took on my DMs incredibly powerful fiend (Which he made up).
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2003, 02:29:21 PM »
My favorite charater is a ranger by the name of Celdric. Currently he's both a Rifts charater (as he was made) and a similar D&D charater(by request/ conspiricy of my DM & I) He's a mutant Panther  :mrgreen:
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2003, 02:48:17 PM »
My favorite character of all time remains Eric Azurain, who came into being because of a suggestion my DM made to me. He began his existence on the harsh world of Athas, in the Darksun setting; then from there, died and joined the ranks of those in the Seven Heavens. Oddly enough, along the way he fell in love with a tanari succubus, who also managed to fall for him.

Along the way, he ended up in a fight where his underlings of the angelic host and her demonic servants clashed - with him and her fighting back-to-back against the other side. She died from a spear blow; he went mad and forever stained his angelic inheritance by slaughtering not only the emaining fiends, bu his own angelic servants as well.

Some years later, still carrying her dead, waxlike body with him, he encounteed a god of total balance - who fused him and her, mixing their nature to create Eric Azurain as he is now, a human of total neutrality, inhumanly beautiful but with the personality of a rock. His mission in existence: to balance out good and evil, law and chaos, to preserve the world. He also has a fear of heihts, as a dim memory of his past.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline KingOfChaos

• Apprentice
    • http://www.realmsofevil.net/
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 09:33:15 PM »
I am saddened by the fact that the wizard didn't get more votes.  I am an avid wizard player and can usually out perform other party members even at lower levels with a wizard :P
Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil Games Publishing
http://www.realmsofevil.net/

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2003, 02:10:34 AM »
That is the thing with wizards, you have to know how to play them, and that takes work. Having a sword requires no special talent or knowledge except saying you want to hit something and rolling the dice. The wizard must prepare spells, know what they do, which ones are good for the situation entering, and generally know what the hell they are doing with them.

It does take a certain person to be able to play a wizard well and that definately wasn't me in my younger years. Too lazy to have to learn all that stuff, and compared to a warrior of some sort, there was quite a bit to learn.

Level 3

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2003, 01:24:42 PM »
Wizards are powerful in the hands of a person who knows how to play them. Contrary to popular opinion, a wizard and a fighter/warrior of the same level, say 15th, are equally powerful. Regardless of class, you still have to be careful though. You never know when you'll attract the attention of the wrong (or right) person :twisted:
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2003, 02:45:40 PM »
I agree that a wizard is a powerful character in the right hands.  Wizards are the most powerful character when the enemy is know.  A wizard would be a great character if you were attacking a fortress.

But, I don’t have as much fun playing wizards when the situation is dynamic.

Wizards are excellent backup for the front line characters, and I would hate to face a party with a wizard if I did not have one in my party.  I like playing more versatile and hands on characters myself.  

However I have never had as much fun as when I played a wizard dropout that was currently a rogue and could do cantrips
If I am wrong, it is probably because you misunderstand me

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Favourite characters
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2003, 01:10:04 AM »
I'm sick of wizards.
Wizards are always so cool.
Wizards always change the world.
Wizards always get so many different little class options like specializing in the Whatsit school, or getting bonuses in certain Whosit spells
Wizards have all the interesting abilities
Wizards always have the most options and versatility.
I'm sick of wizards, dammit!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist