llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What books do you read?  (Read 101382 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • ABWB: Always Be World building
  • Awards NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Questor Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: What books do you read?
« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
The first one is in some ways the best one and the least compelling.  Discussed below-

The second and third books read more like serials, with each chapter being a cliffhanger and the resolution to that cliffhanger not being resolved for several chapters.  They are easy reads, and for the most part page turners, though not all the story lines or characters are as interesting as others.  So you may enjoy them more.

The fourth book we can all agree is crap, the author has just started adding details and characters for the sake of details and characters (while the details add a sense of emersion in the other three books, they are pointless here). In the fourth book there are a lot of unconnected chapters and the story goes no where as it just expands on what were minor characters.  The books have a huge backstory already, the war rebellions the rise and falls of religon, and we learn about at through character conversations which reference those events.  We don't need play by play accounting of all the details.

*Spoilers*

The first books however is the only one that truly follows an arc. It is the fall of Eddard Stark, we get the fore shadowing of things to come when we find the Dire Wolf that has choked to death on a stag.  Stark then goes to serve the King (whose livery is the Stag).  So we know what is going to happen, and this adds to the anticipation and tragedy of it. The first book also has the most conservative story telling-if you can believe it.  The use of different character perspective allows the reader to get both a side long view and a first hand view of the action.  For example we see Eddard's death via Sansa's perspective, but we see Eddard's defeat-when he finally breaks in prison-through his own perspective.  But in the first book most of the action/story (except for that ex-pat princess) takes place in one area with the same characters.  MY WAGER:  You may enjoy the second and third books more, because they are more first person action and there is more action and less intrigue. A lot happens in the second and third books, so if you disliked the slow pacing of the first you may enjoy the second and third.   But if you thought the first work was too large and too varied and the writing style to monotone (Ironic for all the ground he covers he never really shifts the tone or style of his prose) then you won't like the second and third because for all the increase in pace it only get broader in terms of characters examined and event covered.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:19:23 AM by axlerowes »

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: October 31, 2010, 03:30:52 PM »
That was a great reply, thanks. I may give it a try later. I am definitely a mood reader and I go through phases that last months. I might just be exceptionally finicky at the moment and need to take a break from fantasy for a bit. Tried Abercrombie, The Blade Itself but couldn't stand the style, gnawed on The Painted Man by Brett and was only satisfied as I think much was rushed in it...not horrible though. I think it is time to change genres, might be getting burned out. Probably doesn't help that I have been reading a bunch of Jack London. Probably comparing apples and oranges and need to reevaluate my expectations. Am I becoming a snobby reader? eeek

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »
Currently about to finish up The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond. About halfway through I realized that this book was written well before his other two books I have found so fascinating, Guns Germs and Steel, and Collapse. After he finishes up with the section about human sexual behavior (Human females have no outward indication that they are in estrus and ready to breed, to the extent that they themselves seldom know, unlike certain monkeys who get giant red butts and so on) and how our society can function because of this, he goes off into material better covered in Guns Germs and Steel, and touches on palneology (sp?) the study of pollen.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2010, 05:30:33 PM »
I am currently reading the first three in the Culture Novels by Banks

Consider Phlebas (1987)
The first Culture novel. Its protagonist is working for the religious Idiran Empire against the Culture. A rich, although basically linear story about rescuing one of the artificial sentiences of the Culture, it takes place against the backdrop of the galaxy-spanning Idiran War.
(Personally, I did not like this one at all). 

The Player of Games (1988)
A brilliant though bored games player from the Culture is entrapped and blackmailed to work as a Special Circumstances agent in the brutal interstellar Empire of Azad. Their system of society and government is entirely based on an elaborate strategy game.

Use of Weapons (1990)
A non-linear story about a Culture mercenary called Zakalwe. Chapters describing his adventures for Special Circumstances are intercut with stories from his past, where the reader slowly discovers why this man is so troubled.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: December 24, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »
Amazon "Suggested" this title to me. It knows me so well already and I thought the title was hilarious!!

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Seth-Grahame-Smith/dp/0446563080/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Level 3

Online Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Article Guild Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #255 on: December 24, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »
Ice Station by Matt Reilly, one of the most fast paced thriller novels I've ever read.

Well worth a read if you like fast paced action and good high tech/modern day adventure.
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
Border's is closing a number of their stores. This new saddens me, but I figured I should take advantage of the deals while they're still open.

Finally bought Dragons of the Hourglass Mage by Weis and Hickman. This should be my last Dragonlance book for quite some time, as I am not interested in material by the other authors.

Decided to educate myself a bit, as well. Picked up Non-Euclidean Geometry by Stefan Kulczycki. So far, it hasn't been too heavy for me to digest, mostly explaining the history, and evolution, of geometry. I think I'm about to take a step off the cliff into a totally mind-blowing experience soon, I can feel the information getting thicker, but my brain just keeps eating it up.

And I found the Gamma World boxed set based on the D&D 4e rules. I was lucky enough to score a few sessions of Gamma World 1e, playing through the original Famine in Far Go; and found that I really enjoyed the setting and simple rules. This new GW is very shiny, with lots of bright green, purple and blue oozes and auras of various sort, but the whole Trading Card Game rules they threw into it annoy me.

Enjoy your books, everyone!

Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Old Dreamer

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »
Currently reading On Combat by Dr. Grossman, for whatever that's worth.

Anxiously waiting to order Mockingbird, the latest book by Suzanne Collins that started with The Hunger Games. Wow, very impressed. Very interesting and incredibly creative background and story line that had me hanging on every word. Had no idea which way the book was going to turn until the last page.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Questor 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: April 25, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »
Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison. Book eight in The Hollows series. Mostly standard urban fantasy fare but it doesn't have that Laurell K Hamilton knock-off feel so many of them seem to end up with.

I really enjoy this series. I love the characters, the setting, and the evolving plot. Good, believable, consistent characters are essential for me when it comes to enjoying fiction. I put this on par with Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2011, 06:17:06 AM »
Just finished a story called Legacy of Blood set in Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo universe, written by Richard A. Knaak, found in the Diablo Archive book. This story was just what I needed to keep me pumped up while waiting for Diablo 3 to be released. The tale is about the discovery of the tomb of Bartuc the Bloody and what happens to the poor fools who found the place. Lots of familiar aspects from the computer games show up, such a a Necromancer casting Teeth and a visit to Lut Gholein, including Drognan. Meshif, and Atma's Tavern, each briefly. A very fun read. If you're a fan of the series, like me, I would suggest picking up the Diablo Archive for $17.99 US. I still haven't read the other three stories in it, but totally worth it so far.

I'm also reading Tyme and Yon Serpent by M.J. Holmes.. I'm not really sure how to explain what this book is about. At the beginning, it was a story of a group of people going to do a role-playing game. Then there are a few seemingly side-tales, a necromancer's journey up a hill and some meeting of Godly sorts, and for the largest part of the book (it seems) I find myself following people chosen from their worlds to champion some unknown cause. It's a bit of a wild ride. I won this book in a Facebook contest after meeting the author in a chat room and am enjoying it.

You can find T.A.Y.S. on lulu: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/tyme-and-yon-serpent-serpents-tail-(act-1-book-1)/14917463?productTrackingContext=product_view/more_by_author/right/2

2.99 for a digital copy, I would suggest picking it up to help out a new author with a unique book.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2011, 07:16:22 AM »
The Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust. So far, I've read up through Dzur (going by pub rather than chronological order) and I can't wait to get my hands on the rest.

I don't know how I missed reading this series for all these years. Brust is an excellent writer. His style is very engaging, the characters easy to identify with. His world is finely detailed and consistent to its own rules. There are no "formula" stories; each book is built around a fresh, new idea that fits in perfectly with the overall life of Vlad.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: February 20, 2012, 11:05:46 PM »
On the Decay of the Art of Lying by Mark Twain
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
I am on Book 13 of the Patrick O'Brian Master and Commander series.

Loving it. Makes we want to read the Horatio Hornblower series again too. Love those British Navy books for some reason. Trying to emulate some of their mannerisms in my daily job. They look at me weird...they will get used to it.

Level 3

Offline Gafgarion

• Apprentice
  • Philosophe Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
I finished reading both Fahrenheit 451 and  Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? about a month back. Both are classics so anyone can appreciate them. Although Ray Bradbury writes so poetically and with such beautiful metaphors that I recommend everyone read Fahrenheit 451 if at all possible.
Doubt is an insect, crawling on skin;
scuttling its blistered carapace towards my ear.
Oh irritated itch, oh lingering tickle of unclean filth,
when will you burrow in me to lay your eggs?

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2012, 06:57:50 AM »
Funny timing as I just started reading Androids.  I do like 451 as well and have churned through it a couple times already and probably will a few times. Almost finished The Master and Commander series. Got through #20 a couple weeks ago and took a short break before the last one which is actually unfinished. Yet another series ended with the death of the author.

Hope Martin survives long enough to finish the d**n Game of Thrones that seems like it could go on forever.

Level 3

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »
I have just started reading the "Game of Thrones" books.

I think it was Silveressa that asked me if I was following the series, to which I replied with no.

I then asked her if there were books, because I prefer to read the books of any given series or film(s) before watching them as it leaves me able to imagine things myself.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Gafgarion

• Apprentice
  • Philosophe Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: May 08, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
Hope Martin survives long enough to finish the d**n Game of Thrones that seems like it could go on forever.

Do those books keep your interest? I've had friends tell me that it really drags later in the books and becomes almost nonsensical. I do want to start reading them though.
Doubt is an insect, crawling on skin;
scuttling its blistered carapace towards my ear.
Oh irritated itch, oh lingering tickle of unclean filth,
when will you burrow in me to lay your eggs?

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
Took me two tries to get into it. Read the first one awhile ago and stopped. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have read them if it weren't for the series. But, there is a lot going on and it might be worth reading for the surprises. If I had my way I would cut a few of the viewpoints and concentrate on others. There are some that are really awesome and you can't wait till you see how they progress and others you can't wait till the chapter is over to move on to others.

Probably a low 4 on a 5 scale...maybe a high 3. For me anyway.

Level 3

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »
Future War: Kosovo and Beyond
Call of Cthulhu D20 RPG

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #270 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »
The Deverry series by Katherine Kerr. I had read the first half dozen or so books in the early 90's but never kept up with it after that. After finding Days of Blood and Fire in a used bookstore, I decided to go back to the beginning and read them all. I'm more than halfway through and seeing patterns I hadn't seen before.

The books skip back and forth across more than 500 years in a world that was settled by Celts fleeing the Roman conquest of Gaul. Reincarnation is key to the story, so many of the characters pop up again and again. I find myself referencing the table of incarnations on a regular basis.

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
Just picked up The Hunger Games again (part one, also found out that there are three).

Can't for the life of me think why I ever put it down! I'm loving it so far!

*goes back to reading*

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
The Social Contract by Jean Jacques Rousseau.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »
A Game of Thrones by George. R.R. Martin.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Dossta

• Anti-Entropy Specialist
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards 2013 Society of the Year Item Guild 2012 Dungeon of the Year Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
My new favorite fantasy series of all time (yes, they're that good).  Drumroll please . . .

The Mistborn Trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson.

Mistborn: The Final Empire: A band of thieves combine their unique powers to overthrow an empire that has stood for over 1000 years.
Mistborn: The Well of Ascension:  The remnants of the thieving crew must keep the kingdom they have forged from falling apart, while their capital city is besieged by three separate armies.
Mistborn: The Hero of Ages:  The world is ending in fire and ash, and it is up to our heroes to decipher the clues of a millenia-old puzzle, while helping the remnants of humanity survive.

The ending of the trilogy actually managed to surprise me as well.  This is a really clever series, with tons of hidden clues -- stuff from the first and second books comes together and really delivers a punch in the third.  I would definitely call this a character-driven trilogy.  Additionally, the ending of the first book is extremely satisfying; enough so that it could have been a stand-alone book.  And lastly, I'll say that the third book has some of the most beautiful character deaths I have ever read.

If you're looking for a believable and interesting cast of characters, a unique and versatile magic system, and a lot of subtle mysteries to solve, definitely give this trilogy a try. :)

Journeyman Strolenati – Strolenati Guild
Tale Spinner - Weavers Guild
Level 3
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 3 | DEX: 6 | CHA: 3 | INT: 5
"The omniscient have no need for beliefs and no room for delusion."