llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What books do you read?  (Read 100285 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: What books do you read?
« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
Bujold's Barrayar series. Also known as the Vorkosigan saga. There's enough there to keep you reading for a while, if you end up liking it. I myself tried the first book and immediately got hooked. My next week was spent almost completely entranced reading the whole series. There is your friendly warning.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:17:36 AM by Chaosmark »
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2014, 05:29:27 AM »
@Tianakki: thank you for mentioning the Dresden Files in an earlier post, I've started reading them again, finished Storm Front last night and - if the library stock them - will read the next 2 over the weekend.

Dresden Files aside, I'm still reading The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker. I have to put it down quite a lot. It's just not possible to read more than a section or two in the same sitting.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: June 17, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
Got a DTF* book for Fathers Day. Game of thrones #5, A Dance with Dragons.  Haven't read a paper book in ages.

*Dead Tree Format

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: July 15, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »
The Hobbit. I simply love Tolkien's works. I'll only read a book more than once if I've really enjoyed it. As with films, each time I read his books, something else jumps out at me that I didn't notice, or pay particular attention to the first, second and third time around.  :read:

I've also just been introduced to the Wild Card's series edited by George Martin (yep, that one), I read the collection titled 'Inside Straight'. Now I just need to get my hands on the first book, which seems illusive and which the library staff have mislabeled as Inside Straight  :huh:

Finally, I've also managed to read the Guns of Navarone by Alistair Maclean. After the third attempt. For whatever reason I wasn't able to get into it the first two times, but I'm glad I persevered.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: September 12, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
Murder as a Fine Art, by David Morrell--the guy who wrote First Blood (Rambo)

Fascinating Victorian gas-light historical fiction, featuring the controversial Thomas De Quincey. Couldn't put it down after reading the first paragraph. Finished in one night.

The Son, by Jo Nesbo

Not as mind-numbingly awesome as his Harry Hole series of books, but good.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #330 on: September 27, 2014, 04:56:53 AM »
After a long wait, my local library managed to source a copy of Blood Rites by Jim Butcher, so I'm now reading that series again.

Still waiting on Aurian (Maggy Furey) and I'll be buying the Shadowrun 5th Ed core rules at some point this month too.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #331 on: October 14, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »
Here's a bunch:

Iain M. Banks: The Algebraist - a departure from my favorite Culture series, a single book defines a cool universe of its own with a wonderfully cantankerous race of giant floating creatures that like to hunt their own children. Among other things. Also they are probably the oldest race around and they'll probably be here by the time yours is long forgotten.

Steven Campbell: Hard Luck Hank - the misadventures of a mutant mobster negotiator. It's easiest to talk sense into people when you are bulletproof.

Jim Bernheimer: Confessions of a D-List Supervillain - juvenile and fun. Points out very usefully why you have to be a billionaire before going Iron Man.

Andy Weir: The Martian - perfectly paced hard sci-fi that you'll swallow in one piece.

Brandon Sanderson: The Rithmatist - YA with a cool magic system
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Apprentice
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
« Reply #332 on: October 14, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: October 19, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »
The Johannes Cabal books, by Jonathan Howard - Four wonderful books starring a necromancer on a quest to bring his dead love back to life while having outlandish adventures on the way.  Also includes larger than life antagonists (Satan, Nyarlethotep, the Pope), airships, better companions than the Doctor (a vampire, spies, Nyarlethotep, inquisitors, scholars, and aviatrixes), and last, but certainly not least, more humor than you can shake a frozen trout at!
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station