llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What books do you read?  (Read 83537 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2005, 09:05:32 PM »
I'd have to disagree. I thought it was a joy to read and in a subject matter that I have never explored. After that I read numerous books on the Templars, found Umberto Eco, and it opened up a whole new spectrum of secret societies and hidden information that is a geyser for rping.

If you are already into that stuff then perhaps it hits the been-there-done-that type thing (which I now see) but if you haven't it is eye opening and fun. I enjoyed reading it and would suggest it to anybody.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2005, 09:12:12 PM »
You are right, it's probarbly an eye opener for those who haven't explored the realm of secret societies much. Maybe my expectations were too high and i expected something new.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2005, 03:17:22 AM »
Perhaps I shall read this book. I thoroughly enjoy conspiracy theories, although I must add that I chuckle quite alot when I am faced with convinced conspiracy theorists. Illuminati this, and Illuminati that.  

Digression: Come to think about it, I am going to help a conspiracy theorist with his computer problems today. (You should have seen his face, the last time I met him, when I told him about trojans. heeeh-heeeh-heeeeh).

I have heard much about the"Da Vinci Code", both positive and negative. My elder sister loved it and one of my players loathed it. "Everything was wrong, fallacies and rumours spun together to create an uninteresting piece of cheap fiction" was my player's comment. From my elder sister I got a more exhilarated review of the entire book and all it's secret wonders. :)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Pengilly

• Journeyman
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2005, 12:05:49 AM »
The DaVinci Code does get extremely boring after about the third read-through.
But, you know what's a REALLY crazy book...A Clockwork Orange. Just trying to figure out the language on my own almost made my brain explode.
Bob Saget!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2005, 05:46:31 AM »
Yarbles! Great bolshy yarblockos to you. I'll meet you with chain or nozh or britva anytime. I'm not having you aiming tolchocks at me reasonless.

Level 3

Offline Pengilly

• Journeyman
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2005, 03:41:04 PM »
AAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Death Threats!

*Ahem* I'll not stand for you to govoreet in such a manner to me! I'll be ready to tolchock you in the gulliver real horrorshow.

-------End crazy Burgess-talk---------
Bob Saget!

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2005, 11:54:37 PM »
Nadsat, breakfast of champions. Why didn't that become the unofficial language of the 'net instead of 1337?
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2005, 02:32:58 AM »
Currently reading ''The Ice People'' by Rene Barjavel. It's very surreal...
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
What books do you read?
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2005, 09:14:44 PM »
Just finished Symbolism in Art. Mentioning it because i think it would serve as a great source of inspiration in RPG's. A ton of strange paintings which get the mind going. A fine book for instant inspiration!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: What books do you read?
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2006, 05:17:29 PM »
1632 is a science fiction alternative history novel written by Eric Flint. Originally intended to be a single story, it is now the first of an open-ended series (1632 series, also known as 163x series) in which the fictional town of Grantville, West Virginia (modeled on the real town of Mannington) is, through a side effect of an alien technology, transported back in time into the middle of the Thirty Years' War, in the German province of Thuringia. Historical figures occupying prominent or supporting roles in the novel include King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden, Johan t'Serclaes, Count of Tilly, and Albrecht von Wallenstein.

It was first published in New York by Baen Books in 2001 with ISBN 0671319728 . The full text of the novel is available from the Baen Free Library (see below).

Ring of Fire
A series of short stories based in the same continuity of the 163x universe.

Continuation of said story. History continues and the butterfly effect takes hold. The United States of Europe will take on all comers as the 30 Year War continues.

1634: The Galileo Affair
I am reading this now.

http://1632.org/
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »
Just completed Jeffrey Deaver's The Bone Collector

I never saw the movie, but I was interested in him as an author after reading part of Twisted, a collection of 17 short stories. There is no element of the supernatural, and the books revolve around forensic investigation. The thing that makes it interesting is the fact that the main investigator is a quadripeligac and has patrol office walk the crime scenes for him. The conflict of facing down the killer is mirrored in a stunning way with the investigator's wish for suicide. The ending is great, and I think I might have to see the movie now.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2006, 11:58:52 PM »
The DaVinci Code was all right.  I liked the first book, Angels and Demons much better.  Digital Fortress, by the same author is also very good.

Lessee... I just got finished rereading my H.P Lovecraft collection again.  (Why, oh why must the easily obtained compilations duplicate so many stories?!  I have three copies of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and two each of The Shadow Out of Time and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath (which I can't say I thought much of), plus various other stories.)
I'm starting on the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe as soon as I can find the d**ned book.

I have ceased to be impressed with Harry Potter; I suspect the fifth book was the pinacle of the series.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini was quite good, and Eldest is on my list.

While incredibly silly, and the writing is off in some places, Fool's Tavern is hilarious, and reminds me of what my game sessions tend to run like.  If you're familiar with D&D, it's fairly clear that the author is a player.

On the non-fiction front, I'm about halfway through Dirty Little Secrets of World War II, one of the few books I can't read in one sitting.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Taurren

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2006, 06:42:37 AM »
If you like George RR Martin or Glen Cook, I strongly reccomend reading "Gardens of the Moon" and the rest of the The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.

Dark, brutal and definately compelling, the first book left me hungry for the rest of the series.  Its been a long time since a fantasy book actually challenged me to think while I enjoyed reading it, but this one did the trick in spades.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2006, 06:48:42 AM »
YOSSARIAN LIVES!!

Catch 22.

On the surface it is just plain funny. About halfway through I started critically reading it a bit more when I start recognized the revolving logic and how it folds in on itself. Great fun for surface reading but allows you to see that there is so much more going on.

Just got the movie yesterday but won't get to it till this weekend.

Level 3

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2006, 08:21:45 AM »
Long live Yossarian!

Some of my recent readings:

A downer: The Chronicles of Narnia - read two books but did not wish to continue. Perhaps I am too spoiled, but it just didn't do... good language, nice story and everything, but didn't believe it at all. Too much propaganda for me.

Not a downer: Sergey Lukyanenko, Night Watch - a dark fantasy from Russia. Where the good guys are that much different from the bad guys, and common people are mostly pawns for the supernaturally talented. Good stuff.

No surprise: Frank Herbert, Children of Dune - wasn't THE Dune, but still okey. Bought it just because it was in German, and it was good reading.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2006, 09:31:54 AM »
Hey Taurren! I am a fellow Erikson fan! Wheeee! One more among our kin!

I have given Steven Erikson to my players and one is now about to finish "Midnight Tides". While he claims it is the most complex and labyrinthine books he has ever read, he also, grudgingly, says that Erikson leaves the rest of the fantasy authors wallowing in the mud. They simply cannot compete. I agree.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Taurren

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2006, 07:34:37 AM »
Hey Taurren! I am a fellow Erikson fan! Wheeee! One more among our kin!

I have given Steven Erikson to my players and one is now about to finish "Midnight Tides". While he claims it is the most complex and labyrinthine books he has ever read, he also, grudgingly, says that Erikson leaves the rest of the fantasy authors wallowing in the mud. They simply cannot compete. I agree.

He is outstanding, that's for certain.

I ran a short series of "Malazan" adventures using Rolemaster, and my players loved it.  The RM magic system was easy enough to convert to Warrens, and the lethality of the combat really fit the setting.

I still have problems every now and then keeping the different races in perspective, but aside from that I love the series.  On my " Settings I want to GM" list is a full blown "Malazan" campaign, but for the moment that will have to be in far future.

Offline Druid_Wiking

• The Last Freethinker alive.
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2006, 03:33:45 PM »
This list changes so much, but here goes:
The first two ender books are always good.
Some historical fiction novel about the great bard amergin called "the bard".(sorry, no author)
Recently finished the latest harry potter, might reread it.
AND IN NON-FICTION:
Reverse Engineering
Windows scripting
"Mind manipulation: ancient and modern ninja secrets" by dr. Haha Lung
and, if you think there's no way to get sleep,
try reading Mein Kampf without coffee.
The roleplaying games were never a danger.
Indeed, the only ones with real room to be
offended were pagans. As for me, I wish we druids could turn wood to gold. ;)

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2006, 06:30:16 PM »
Right now I'm reading Cryptonomicon.  Just finished 'The Dispossessed' by LeGuin, and a collection of Lovecraft.  Ummm.  'Salem's Lot' King, Titus Groan by Peake and some more that I can't remember. :?
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2006, 07:38:03 PM »
Yeah Cryptonomicon and the perfect bowl of Captain Crunch!

Level 3

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2006, 10:23:34 AM »
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time Series, more like an exodus as it never freakin ends. The early ones were real good but I think the story went to his head and it's exploded from there. He did do some real good work with two Conan novels in the genre of the original Robert E. Howard. Very good books if you like the Conan fantasy.

R.A.Salvatore - Anything by Salvatore. Yes I read the dreaded drow books but he has a nice descriptive and fun writing style that I like. He has done a number of different types of series of books. The Highwayman was the last one I read and was pretty good, but different.

He also oversaw a sextet of books but new authors called the War of the Spider Queen. The last one was probably the best. This of course is about dreaded drow, but it is very interesting to see a lot of religious aspect and how they function. Good series.
Authors
  • Book 1) Richard Lee Byers - Dissolution
  • Book 2) Thomas M. Reid - Insurrection
  • Book 3) Richard Baker - Condemnation
  • Book 4) Lisa Smedman - Extinction
  • Book 5) Philip Athens - Annihilation
  • Book 6) Paul S. Kemp - Resurrection

Raymod Fiest - Mainly his Riftwar Saga but I have every book he has ever written with the exception of the three he has released over in Europe and not in the US. I eat everything up from Fiest.

George.R.R.Martin - Game of Thrones series. I am currently on the fourth book A Feast of Crows. I feel that his style is must like early Jordans' in that he has great detail and multiple character plots goin on at once. But they never get tangled together. As a matter of fact in his first book the main characters died, most did anyway. If you have never read his work pickit up. It's very refreshing if you like fantasy with a lot of military and court intrique.

Douglas Adams - I don't really need to say much about this one. I enjoyed all of his books. I think you have to have a certain amount of dry humor to really like his books.

J.R.Tolkien - I tried reading his books but failed. Some of the few books I have ever not finished reading. It's to... complicated to get into.

Margret Wies & Tracy Hickman - The original Dragon Lance novels. The original trilogy and the Legends trilogy were my favorite, the rest were too business ended for me and I didn't like them at all.

Anne Mccaffrey - The first few books I read of hers were good. After that they all seemed the same to me. I started losing interest when they had dragons teleporting into a space station.

I am sure there are more, but I mainly get into only fantasy novels. I tried reading sci-fi and can't get into it. I prefer to watch a sci-fi movie than read a book.
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2006, 03:24:28 PM »
Got my order from Goodman games the other day.

The Complete Guide to Liches is pretty dang tasty, enough information to be filling witohut ventureing into the realm of overkill. The variant liches are cool, and the focus is seemingly more on creation and progression of lichdom rather than a collection of kewl powerz

The Complete guide to Dopplegangers is sweet, I wish it was a thicker book, but it is only 32 pages, I think. Totally wickedly evil stuff.

THe Complete Guide to Beholders is the thickest by far, and I havent delved into it very far yet, still chewing on the liches at the moment.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline The_Warlock

• Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2006, 04:54:36 PM »
R.A. Salvatore:  Dark Elf Trilogy and all the ones that followed with characters from it.  I love his style when it comes to describing a sword fight.

Richard A. Knaak:  Darkwalker on the Moonshaes Trilogy/Druid Trilogy from the Forgotten Realms and his Breach Under the Watershed series was enjoyable.

Robert Jordan:  Currently reading the Wheel of Time series...and wonder why I am still doing so.....pages upon pages of fluff....but I am hooked on finding out what happens...curse me!!!!!!????

David Gremmel:  Legend (and all the books following about Druss the Legend), his White Wolf novel and all that followed/spun off of it. 

Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman:  Aside from the Dragon Lance novels (originals), try the Death Gate Cycle they wrote...7 or 8 books in the series.....probably my favorite novels of all time.

James Clemens:  Wit'ch Fire series (banned and banished)  Awesome series...the evil characters are truly evil!!!!!

Terry Brooks:  The Sword of Shannarah complete series....truly amazing!

Terry Goodkind:  The Sword of Truth complete series....the earliest books in the series are awesome, definitely adult fantasy adventure and not for the younger readers......some of the last books in the series, although not as good as the earlier ones....were still pretty good.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.   
"How is it that you claim me to be an assassin..(paused in thought)....have I killed you before?"\

"Beware the faceless...for he only deals in souls and riches."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2006, 04:54:02 PM »
I've been reading the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, lately.
I must say, the Necroscope books are like the Die Hard of fantasy fiction- they are exciting, rather brainless, and have bad dialogue (Lumley can't write dialogue; his characters all sound like they are people at a Renaissance Fair trying to talk like a "medieval person"). I love the action and some of his ideas, and I just can't get enough of the milieu of Soviets, monsters, vampires, and psychics. :D
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • http://www.home.zonnet.nl/ylorea
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2006, 02:02:17 PM »
Shy boy by Monty Robberts.

hmmm, not realy rpg related I have to admit.

Please feel free to visit Teolin. (Simply press the "www" button)