llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Water worlds...  (Read 3890 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« on: January 10, 2004, 11:13:19 PM »
I've been pondering the idea of an rp set in a world with very very little land. And all creatures are sea-based. But I would need to create a few different kinds of creatures that are different all-together. But with that could need to come cultural backgrounds and community structures and what not. I wouldn't mind doing the work for it if I had one or two or a few people to help me brainstorm ideas. But the laws of fighting underwater would have to be taken into play also, If a creature swings and misses, that force applied would send the creature in that direction, also there would be circular fighting instead of planar like on land, one could attack from above or below. It would be fun to do, but the creation would require a long time to create, though I would like to do such a thing, I was wondering if anyone would like to help me in brainstorming these things?
19:43:31 [Shadoweagle] Heya - your not moderator anymore, Araith?

19:43:40 [Araith] Nope

19:43:50 [Araith] I 'accidentaly' Deleted the site.

19:43:56 [Araith] So I got demoted.

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 12:07:44 AM »
Just to point out a way to make your life easier, why do you need to fight underwater?

The latest Zelda game, d**n his bobble- headed soul, is mostly water, but there has been NO fighting underwater at all.

If you make your island maps and adventures detailed, they still won't get bored. And there's pleanty to do on the sea, pirates and such. All up to you on how much you want to get into.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 12:16:00 AM »
I think that he means a totally watery world. An ocean planet.
Kinda' like Atlantica from Kingdom Hearts. Only less irritating.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
glugg
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 02:33:57 AM »
Might I suggest looking for some Blue Planet material.  It might be illuminating for you.  

In addition, you can check out this link on this very board...
http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=1012.0
A similiar idea, you two can crib off each other...

http://www.aquela.com/roleplaying/index.html
Aquela is a world also useful for you to look at.  

So, what I might suggest you do for us now, is give us a little more about the "feel" and the "look" of the world you want.  That way we can start throwing out ideas to expand your aquatic world.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 02:21:46 PM »
Well, when I said there was land I meant that there was so little that no creature lived on land. And all the races were water-based, as in lived in the water and breathed in the water. Therefore they would need to fight underwater. The idea of the world can be whatever suits the creatures, so we can change it as we see fit along the way as we make creatures and their culture and community settings and what not.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 02:24:20 PM »
Interesting...
I'm seeing an amphibious race of humans, who surface for air like dolphins.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 02:27:39 PM »
That's an idea, but they would need to be able to stay underwater for GREAT amounts of time so as not to restrict their "exploring" or fighting capabilities.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 02:48:25 PM »
So alter them. Make them evolved for the ocean. Hold their breath for 4 hours, or an extra set of lungs, or something.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 02:56:13 PM »
Hmmm, i agree with that idea. I'll skip a name for now, but what should the description be. It has to have somekind of breathing hole. I'm thinking something it has arms and legs, that have a fin like edge, with the feet looking like fliipers of some sort. A blue tinted skin, or some other ocean oriented color for skin. What else is there?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 03:05:10 PM »
Very unique mythology, very unique culture. Clothing? Maybe. It would probably not be necessary, and would hinder streamlining.
Might not even look "human" in the conventional sense.
Probably little, if any, hair.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 03:06:39 PM »
Deep Ones
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 03:08:13 PM »
Ah, yes. Them.
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2004, 06:19:29 PM »
Sahuagin: These green- or gray-skinned tribal monsters have created many societies under the waves. They are savage, powerful creatures, with a bipedal stance, though they retain many features from sharks. These are primarily a variety of fins on the back of their humanlike limbs, and an incredibly powerful jaw, though Sahuagin also possess fierce, sharp claws. They can swim as fast as their shark cousins with ease, commune with them, and breathe either air or water. Sahuagin tribes raid other communities with disturbing frequency, though the creatures show no sign of being 'inherently' evil so much as merely savage-one can attempt to make deals with them. Sahuagin think in a slightly different way then humans, though they ae intelligent enough. Their brute strength is incredible, as is their stamina, but they lack the necessary concentration to become good mages. Sahuagin reproduce as fishes do, which is good for the suvival of their race, seeing as many sahuagin are fond of flesh-including their own race's. They are the sworn enemies of the naga, who battle them for similar dwelling areas.

Naga: The naga are a race of serpent-men who dwell beneath the seas, though they still retain most humanlike features above the waist. They are a powerful, organized race who acts for reasons of their own-humans do not understand the naga's devotion to the group as a whole as opposed to personal growth and development. A juvenile naga is in most manners indistinguishable from a common snake, save for the addition of two clawed limbs. When they reach what in humans would be puberty, they enter a cocoon, and a year later emerge as teenaged-upper bodied humanoids, with the lower body of a powerful snake. During this stage of their life, they can become either good magi or good fighters, and reproduce as mammals do-naga-human halfbreeds are rare but not unknown. Some hundred years later, the naga undergoes another transformation and becomes a form mor suitable to their chosen path. This happens again a hundred years later. At this point they live for another hundred years and then perish, at which point their life experiences are added to another peculiarity of the naga, a sort of communal memory which is shared betwen the tribe. This might explain the naga's fanatical loyalty to their individual tribes- nagas without a tribe usually commit suicide. Naga can breathe underwater, and swim quite quickly. They are the blood enemies of the sahuagin.

How are these?

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • http://www.home.zonnet.nl/ylorea
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 03:38:34 AM »
If I might throw in an idea that might help you a lot: Read the book on this subject by fantasy flight games.
The book is titled: Legends & Liars: The Seafarers Handbook.
The book is about ships that sail the seas, but it also goes into fighting under water. They have come up with a very nice system that takes into account that you may attack from above and below and are constantly changing your position in a three dimensional world.
Also there is quite a bit of information about what happens to skill checks and the like.
The idea of the book is a bit different from yours. They started out with land-dwellers that enter the water.
However a lot of the rules they propose might very well fit your ideas. Of course you can come up with your own ideas, but I think that in this case, the book would do a lot of thinking for you and the book is pretty clear about the rules. So little room for discusion remains.

Yours,

Ylorea

Please feel free to visit Teolin. (Simply press the "www" button)

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 04:40:37 PM »
Caves would be the only chhokepoints, as walls would be swum over.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2004, 04:55:57 PM »
What is that supposed to mean?

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004, 05:07:10 PM »
Well I really took this in a different direction with 'Trials of the Seafarers'. And Cheka man WHAT does that mean?!

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 05:18:07 PM »
:oops: Sorry, my spelling was bad.I meant to say chokepoints. What I was trying to say was that castle/town walls, that would be very good on land for keeping out invaders,could, unless they broke the surface of the sea, be bypassed by invading armies.Caves, on the other hand, could not be bypassed and would be good defense points.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2004, 07:48:47 PM »
Why would castles ever be made in an underwater society? Architecture would be totally different.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Questor
    • Awards
sahuagin
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004, 06:13:39 AM »
okay, the sahuagin are shamelessly stolen from the Forgotten Realms, but let's get ower it. :evil:
There could be humans, living in domed cities and using submarines/symbiotes/hollow creatures to travel underwater. A surface society might build their homes on floating plants. Others could live on flying zeppelin-like plants. The could have fins that doubled as wings...
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Water worlds...
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2004, 10:13:46 AM »
Sahuagin were part of D&D (and roleplaying) before Forgotten Realms came about, weren't they?