I wanted to create this a long time ago, but have somehow forgotten it. I designed a little spell one day, that produces a tiny bird-excrement, hitting the shoulder of its victim. The ultimate distraction, because it can really happen and is instantly annoying.
But then, nothing of that kind happened in my games yet, and the players may get suspicious. So I envisioned a table, that would contain the little good and bad things that may happen at any moment or not at all. The little moments of life we smile about, or curse, but forget soon anyway.
While it is sometimes very tempting to torment players, the table should also contain little good things that happen sometimes. Use these "micro-encounters" at your own risk.
(The first few come from Strolen, who reminded me of it again.)
1. Sword gets stuck in sheathe and takes a battle of strength to get it out.
2. As you duck or bend or what a seam in your clothes comes undone, and there is suddenly a hole!
3. The next chair or similar item breaks, you slide from it, or otherwise fails to carry your behind.
4. The next ordinary item you seek, is misplaced and cannot be found, unless you really search all your baggage.
5. You loose some change you kept in your pocket.
6. A bird bombs you. Choose random shoulder to get messy.
7. Something sticky falls into your pack...
8. The next fire you try to light takes very long to ignite.
9. Your horse looses a horseshoe. Better visit the smith.
10. The next merchant feels generous or likes you, makes a little discount for you.
11. You find money on the street! It really happens. Nothing big though.
12. Someone looks familiar from afar, but is not if you look closer.
13. If there are many people around, someone bumps into your shoulder, but excuses for it. (paranoia...)
14. A dog comes to you, sniffs, and is called back to its master.
15. Someone shouts a swear-word loudly on the street.
16. You feel the intense need to scratch at an inopportune moment.