llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Thread of Fantasy Character Names! */  (Read 26987 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
The Thread of Fantasy Character Names!
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2005, 02:18:09 PM »
http://tekeli.li/onomastikon/

I could just take the listings and post them here, but I thought it might be easier to just give the link.

Kate Monk's Onomastikon
(Dictionary of Names)

This is a collection of names from around the world which was initially intended to help provide character names for live role-players. It includes short historical backgrounds, male and female first names or personal names, and surnames or family names, from many countries and periods. The author is not an expert in onomastics or history so would like to apologise if any mistakes have been made. All names included are from genuine sources to the best of her knowledge, but this is not an academic study and should not be relied upon by re-enactment societies which require specific dates and instances of occurrence for the names they use.

New webmaster's note: This onomastikon was compiled by Kate Monk and hosted by Sal Robertson at gaminggeeks.org. Since as of early July 2005 that site is not available, I have retrieved the content from web.archive.org, amended the HTML slightly, and offer it here. I have otherwise left Sal's and Ms. Monk's work unaltered. It is not the intent of this site to interfere with the copyright or authorship of Ms. Monk's onomastikon in any way, or to claim that anyone other than Ms. Monk compiled the information presented herein. -- Roger
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: The Thread of Fantasy Character Names! */
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2006, 02:25:28 PM »
SINCE WE ARE MOVING THESE AGAIN.... I want to do this one.  You can all do the rest.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2006, 01:54:13 PM »
http://ebon.pyorre.net/

In role-playing games, authentic atmosphere is a sum of many things. Regional customs, garments, architecture and names are all among things that add to a fulfilling gaming experience. Unfortunately, more often than not, every person the player characters encounter in a fantasy game has its name lifted from a popular novel, or, even worse, a phone book or a calendar.

Everchanging Book of Names (a.k.a. EBoN) is a shareware random name generator for 32-bit Microsoft Windows systems. Originally written to be a game master aid, it has since proven its usefulness in various situations other than role-playing, such as writing stories or naming fabrics and miniature horses. Its highly sophisticated algorithm ensures that most of the names generated by it are readily usable. Moreover, the wide selection of name sets (called chapters) ensure that the names are truly unique and come in different flavors.

The software is written by and copyright © Sami Pyörre.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
I got that generator in my head. Never had to look up anything anywhere.

You guys need a better imagination. :p
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »
Usually when I need character names, I go to an actual site for baby names.  Some of the names they have are pretty exotic sounding, and you have the advantage of getting the name meaning, too.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2006, 11:23:41 PM »
When I need names I make fun of my friends and record the odd sounds of confusion and angst that appears from their mouth.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2006, 01:06:15 AM »
LOL
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kuseru Satsujin

• Apprentice
  • Awards 2010 System of the Year
    • N&S GMs Netbook
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2008, 08:33:50 PM »
This list is dedicated to MoonHunter. Unfortunately, due to it's massive size, I have to post a link to it.

http://www.geocities.com/kuseru/workingarea/JapaneseNames.pdf