llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Thread of Fantasy Character Names! */  (Read 25543 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
The Thread of Fantasy Character Names!
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 01:27:17 AM »
That depends entirely upon the language in question.  For example, in German, the umlauts above a vowel denote separate sounds.  When written in a format that does not allow them, the letter "e" follows the vowel in question. For that particular language, accent marks would be a strange and foreign addition to any word.  

Of course, since this is an alien and fantasy species, living on an alien and fantastic other world, any discourse of the possible characteristics of their language is academic at best.  Since you weren't sitting within earshot of nameless & myself when compiling these names, you have no way to know what the "proper" pronunciation really is, other than your own imagination when puzzling out what you can see in your browser window.  Phonetic conglomerates were made, with rationale given to possible linguistic structures of the Elven language, based on what was already established for that species within the confines of the particular game world.  The nonstandard-English characters used in the example names were chosen because they mapped to real-world languages that used those very same characters for the sounds selected as the Elven phonemes & conglomerates.  Since the Elven language in this setting has already been established as being quite complex & specific in design, such distinct demarcation, and indeed transliteration, of sounds made simple sense.  To say that they were chosen "because Tolkien did it," is fallacious.  Admittedly, the use of umlauts adds to an alien look & "feel" to the names, which works quite well for Midianite Elves.  

Then again, it's a rather random selection of names for a game, and doesn't merit becomming upset over.  Those whose browsers do not allow them to see these alternate characters (perhaps with a question mark or blank rectangle in their place) are likely wondering what it is we are even discussing.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline D'hui

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2004, 12:03:26 PM »
Here are a few from my campaign:

D'huianna Trisko (F, Dark Elf)
Tippa Katna (F, Halfling)
Alfhere (M, Human)
Naomi Nemesis (F, Elf!)
Arowyn (F, Elf)
Liawyn (?)
Lucia de Talbot (F, Human)

Why do girls NEVER play boys?  I wish I had a few brothers.
I thought therefore I was, but then YOU started thinking and that really put me off.

Online Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2004, 07:16:35 PM »
Some of my girls have played male characters on occasion. They have done an excellent job too.
But when my boys play female characters.... Ohhh, thats baaad! Boys just can't play girls...
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2004, 08:45:09 PM »
Nope. Men just can't get into a woman's head.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2004, 08:13:29 PM »
Here is some names.

Berek
Johan
Rade
Spade
Cain
Kain
Shade
Blade
Raynor
Slagar
Daskar
Bek
Coll
Shae
Jin
Walker
Wren
Rue
Redden Alt Mer
Caden
Evil Is A Faceless Stranger,
Living In A Distant Neighborhood
Evil Has A Wholesome, Hometown Face
With Merry Eyes And An Open Smile
Evil Walks Among Us, Wearing A Mask
Which Looks Like All Our Faces

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2004, 01:07:45 PM »
Does anyone know Trolloc names?

Offline D'hui

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2004, 09:10:35 AM »
Trolloc - as in Wheel of Time?
Nope, soz.  Perhaps they don't have them?  Or they just call each other "Ugh" or "Errr" as they feel like it.
That could get really confusing.
I thought therefore I was, but then YOU started thinking and that really put me off.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2004, 12:49:50 PM »
They may just have a diffrent way of defining themselves, but I mean Troll names

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2004, 05:19:28 PM »
Uh...
Well, we don't have an absolute monopoly on fantasy settings, Sent. Things are different in different worlds- for instance, there aren't really any trolls in my Empire setting.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2004, 08:49:19 PM »
Well, just wondering if anyone knew what a basic troll name was

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2004, 09:51:49 PM »
I dunno'...
Kinda' depends on the Troll, like I said before.
I would suggest something like "Ug", or "Kaa", or something guttural and cave-man-ish like that.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2004, 07:50:03 AM »
Or you could try descriptive names that were often found in primitive societies.Like Blind Wolf,for example.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2004, 05:29:19 PM »
I see. Like the Native Americans did?

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2004, 01:57:24 AM »
I did Troll names on the previous page...

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2004, 11:32:00 PM »
<rant>
You know one thing I really hate? It is all these so called fantasy worlds that have not generated a rationalist revolution, that are psuedo medival, that have modern style First and Last Names. The two name naming convention did not come into being in Europe until the late 1600s (and was side by side with the old naming convention even during that time). There is the Latin country naming conventions (three names, combined last names, and saints relations), which is a hybrid of the "old way" and the "new way". Most other coutries follow the modern naming convention because of English/ European Imperialism.  

The one main reasons is that most people don't use a more historically accurate naming convention is that they would have to actually generate a home city/ region and the name of a father (and or his profession). That would be two basic parts of a character's conception history that seems to be beyond most people.  After all, aren't all adventurers homeless orphans who lost there parents to terrible events when they were young and raised themselves?
</rant>

The naming convention in most of Europe, pre 1680s, is First Name, Father's name, and city/ region they were from.
Using an Italian Example, Arturius di ser Leonardo da Roma or Arturius, son of Leonardo, from Rome.  

See how simple that is?  So why are you Arthur Black Sword? (or worse yet SAM the III, becuse you have died twice before.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2004, 09:51:27 AM »
Excellant point though I thought that during the Middle Ages, nobels had a first and last name due to their nobel birth(ex; A Knight, King, Coursier, Vassal, Lord) and the common people only went by one name. Of course this would complicate matters if there was a marriage between common person and a nobel.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2004, 10:34:52 AM »
That arrangement took hold utizing the place name as the last name. The last name was based upon the holding of the family. Given the presence of heraldry and knowledge of noble lines made the parental name inconsequential for those of noble birth... as everyone knew who everyone was. Titles were listed as honorifics, like Mr. Mrs.

During the 1500s, it was then expanded to bloodlines, given the presence of those of royal/ higher noble blood without property. Thus they needed to have a name of title, without actually having the title.

During the same time, peasants lost other names. It was name and profession of location, or name father's name of location.  Since peasants did not generally travel, they lost the location name in all but the most official documents. In cities, free serfs lost their parent's and location's name, and stuck to the profession name... this way they were "untracable" as escape serfs.  

Between the expansion of cities, the breakdown of serf's being tied to the land, and changes in the way book keeping and more modern monarchies forced the new naming convention.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2004, 04:12:28 AM »
Quote from: "MoonHunter"
<rant>
You know one thing I really hate? It is all these so called fantasy worlds that have not generated a rationalist revolution, that are psuedo medival, that have modern style First and Last Names.
</rant>

I hope that my previous posts on this thread did not cause offense.  Of the Midian cultures that utilise multiple names:
Formourians (in decreasing order of frequency) use occupational, locational, and generational names, due to the commonality of first names in that culture, with nobles having (and generally needing) no last names;
Elves only with respect to those who belong to a Great House--which is not properly a real last name at all;
Killian utilise a three-tiered naming structure:  clan, personal, and clutch--every sibling born to a single laying will have the same "last" name;
Heldanns exclusively use a generational naming scheme, due to the importance that culture places on respect to one's family reputation, this is either a parent or grand parent's name;
Goths often select their own last names simply from choice--this culture does not require one to retain any name or self-image for life--both first and last names (if any) may come and go at will;
Ghouls are the only culture that has last names in the modern sense, they perhaps began doing so when they noticed epitaphs on grave markers suggesting so, the true origin of Ghoul family names has been lost to antiquity.

Other cultures in Midian do not generally have more than one name.  The uniqueness of Elven and Goblin/Hobgoblin names preclude an immediate need for a family identifier, and other cultures (namely those on the eastern continent of Osterre) are still largely tribal, where everyone encountered is either familiar or a probable enemy. Of course, since only Formour and the Heldannic Confederation are the only two that can be at all considered analogs of historic Europe, milage for others will vary.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Online Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2004, 10:01:45 AM »
I hope that my previous posts on this thread did not cause offense.  

I think it takes more than that to give offense ;)
It is a matter of personal preference, thats all.

<rant>
Here in Scandinavia, where I am from, we have long used double names. Though in medieval times the name structure was thus:
<your name> <fathersname> + son

So if your name is HÃ¥kon and your father was Torgeir then it would be:
HÃ¥kon Torgeirson

Another variation is (female) <your name> <your fathers name> + dottir
example: You: (Vigdis) + Father: (Sigurd) = Vigdis Sigurddottir

I seem to recollect that they abandoned this name system sometimes around the first national people censuses, as it was near impossible to trace lineages and such.

Also I seem to recollect that the old romans had double names or even triple names, they might even have four names, but those were certainly based on merit (Like Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus, The Elder)
More on roman names

Sure they all differ from our current way of giving names. But there is a certain likeness. Most of fantasy is a shameless mix between modern and past anyways. Just look at marriage: Which roleplayer would marry a 10 year old? Such marriages was commonplace in classical and medieval times. The gap of time also marks a remarkable gap of mentality.

I have no doubt that our descendants will view some of our customs as gruesome and barbaric too.
</rant>
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2004, 01:58:46 PM »
Kinslayer... It is all good.

Hence the <rant/> </rant> slash. People who go "oh my world is so unique", using late 20th century naming conventions, just peeved me off that day. (In addition to people who have a six sylable elven name, with the simple English name Strong Tree).  People need to understand their history and the development of things over time more that just appending things on. Which you have, and have a reason, so it is all good.  

For those of you who don't... GRRRRRRRRR!!!!
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2005, 06:04:10 PM »
Persian names
Khshayarsha
Koroush
Khorvash
Kambujiya
Bardiya
Dariush
Darayavaush
Artakshathra
Ardeshir
Sogdianush
Borosh
Darankhaya

(The above are the true Old Persian forms of names of Persian kings, such as Xerxes {Khshayarsha}, Cyrus {Koroush or Khorvash}, or Darius {Dariush or Darayavaush})

Offline krome

• Apprentice
    • http://barelytzu.blogspot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2005, 10:16:03 PM »
Some of these I got from generators, so forgive if you've seen them before.  Others I made up.

Male:

Rhili
Dway
Fym
Biliwyr
Galendath
Wicohach
Traemas
Laep
Taeddry
Blic
Syr
Georwyn
Bleodoc
Joll
Wylamadar
Dallover
Talederel
Blon
Nicho
Donan
Tonale
Paither
Wester
Salen
Trelling (could be a place)
Kastian
Lyonaltenin
Keris
Togg

Female:

Rhoiwen
Uinaewiel
Thilaniel
Kaiwyn
Fasa
Nyo
Hessi
Myrrh
Lurka
Nanabrindariel (Dari/Brin)
Beralaurel
Shaewyn
Wina
Celi
Vlannia
Jinne
Cheaux
Mrynai

Offline maximo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2005, 07:07:24 PM »
Here are some names from campaigns that I have participated in.  They are various races and gender.  (Some of them have been taken from other games, but we liked them so much that we used them.  Sorry if you have already seen them.)

Jehan
Stryker
Jarlath
Tarlach
Gwazi
Eogan
Karg
Bregnor
Fenuvius
Darota
Leknaat
Kuruk
Elborith
Brighton
Cadderly
Gareth
Thorak
Kruskin
Bendikar
Skylax
Karu Leatherneck
Threlak
Ain Dalo
Han Finrik
Ell Harno
Xian-Xing
Garda Frost
Veranak
Darimen
Naren
Kenseth
Flagg
Krull
Darinac
Aromach
O'Elzander
Zook
Ulfgar
Artemais
Johara
Mathias
Xorax
Xander
Jerick
Jade
Rafe
Fenwark
Zuboko
Suhtek
Flik
Rubi
Grenseal
Kwanda
Tal
Jacabo
Riddick
Kongol
Luca

and...

Maximo (my personal favorite  8) )

Offline maximo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2005, 03:34:56 PM »
Kirkis
Zod
Kyara Ravenguard
Taithleach
Orlando
Hadhod
Thorguld Twinbeard
Damador
Teo
Raven Shadowdancer
Snow
Storm Thunderflame
Moonbeam Silverhaven
Arturo

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2005, 04:09:38 PM »
Can you order your names by species/ culture and by gender?  That way they will be more useful to other people reading the thread.  And you can do it by editing, so you don't have to repost.

Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought. Just a thought.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©