llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: N-Dimensional spaces - and the Plane of Filth  (Read 3421 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
N-Dimensional spaces - and the Plane of Filth
« on: December 31, 2003, 01:36:03 PM »
One of ther common things about things like bags of holding and such is that many of them, if nested together, will explode and rip everything into a plane-next-door; usually this is the Astral Plane.

The Plane of Filth is the result of millenia of these accidents across the multiversal landscape Gradually, the trash has drifted together and congealed into a demiplane or protoplane, adrift in the Astral mists. Due to the large number of magical items lost through these accidents, the plane itself has a potent magical field - which has, in turn, imbued it with a limited form of sentience, enough that it roams the Astral, actively seeking magic that it can absorb to make itself larger and smarter. Eventually, it stands a chance of becoming a full-fledged plane, one with the intelligence of a deity - an oddity, to be sure, but stranger things do exist.

Imagine losing that one Really Vital Relic, and discovering you have to search trough this foul, dripping, gooey plane to find it - and the plane itself can marshal 'children' to defend it, like golems shaped from the muck and ooze...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Akihikio

• Apprentice
    • http://www.knighted-dreams.org
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 07:12:19 PM »
Oh that is awsome!!! Especially for high level/epic characters!

I'm going to have to do some research and create some monsters...
Akihikio
"How the *Sentence Enhancer* are ya Patrick!?"

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 04:47:07 AM »
The annoying thing about the plane is that the little golem-things it spawns are really made of ooze and muck - and they, like the plane, eat magic. Sicc it on that party with the obscene overload of magic, and watch those bonuses dwindle...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Sounds fun.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 09:05:55 PM »
Great idea, Could really mess with the heads of someplayers if they found it while in the middle of Astral travel...

Especially if it started draining their magic :twisted: BwaHaHaHa!
I love it.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 12:59:30 AM »
*snarl*
Planes!
Don't get me started!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 01:00:50 AM »
Well, don't use it then.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline nitouken

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 11:50:06 AM »
You don't have to like planes, cap. We, however, are entitled to. Great idea, Kassil. What about having filth-covered undead? The remains of all those other adventurers who lost the Really Vital Relic into the filth plane?
If they cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go.
                               -Mark Twain

There are no Absoluts in life, only vodka.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 01:48:25 PM »
It's possible, of course, though the plane wouldn't likely be the animating source Plane-generated things tend more towards Golem than Zombie, although if you use it in your game, you're welcome to make it a more malevolent plane with undead controlled by it.

As an aside, the filth probably does carry disease - most likely strange and exotic ones, considering that the 'filth' comes from all over the multiverse...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline DaWergyling

• Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 06:03:03 PM »
Brilliant! I love it! Lots and lots of Kudos to you!

If it has intelligence, and can spawn those zombies, why doesn't it have more control over the landscape of the plane? (DM: You are devoured by a titanic wave of a bile-like fluid) Although the plane would be near-impossible to destroy as such, perhaps it would be like that if the party is especially well-equipped magic-wise and exits the plane in shame, stripped of all the countless artifacts of power they possessed.

What is the nature of the plane? Is it intelligent enough to have an alignment other than neutral in the same way that a turkey or horse is neutral (does it have a more-than-basic understanding of things?) ? That is, might the plane be incredibly cunning and manipulative, maybe even giving the PCs an artifact that will teleport them to the plane of filth when they have a gross amount of magic items? Might it be swayed to devour certain travellers of the astral plane for offers of sweet 'n juicy Arcane munchies? (P.S., what is the Astral plane in the sense you talk of it? Is it like the vast, space-like plane as they mention it in second edition D&D, or something much different?) In a campaign I'm planning, the PCs will eventually have to fight an entire empire of Mind Flayers, (Illithids) (It's sort of a long story, but if you want me to tell it, say so) who are located on the Astral Plane. Hiring a plane of filth to devour it seems a rather intersting way to solve the problem.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 09:23:52 PM »
I've got the image of the Junkyard of Lost Things from Labyrinth stuck in my head, and it will _not_ go away.  Of course, it also brings to mind those creepy junkyard people...

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline nitouken

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 12:06:04 AM »
Oooh, living inhabitants... that sounds fun.
If they cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go.
                               -Mark Twain

There are no Absoluts in life, only vodka.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 11:19:38 PM »
It has a semi-intelligence, and some small measure of control over itself - but no more, really, than most people have over the functions of their bodies. Most of the plane functions as automatic systems.

As for the Astral, as I define it, it's the space "Between All" - both a vast space and a pinpoint, all at the same time.

As for the intelligence of it, the more magic it devours, the strongwer and smarter it grows - how smart is up to the GM, of course. And when it verges on becoming a full-fledged Plane in and of itself, likely the awareness will transcend with it, becoming something of a god or the like - possibly even one able to grant power to followers on other planes - maybe in the form of some magic the plane's swallowed.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 11:28:48 PM »
Your bag of holding says, "*braaaaap* Thank you for the sacrifice, Kassil!" Something tells me the characters may have to create some very interesting substitutions for their old bags should the plane transcend.

Another interesting thing to consider: Perhaps one of these strange fungis meets a strange virus from half way across the galaxy, and the bizaare mutation of the two together is capable of creating their own golem-bodies out of the trash, binding them together with webs and muscles of fungus, perhaps using the trash as a sort of reconfigurable endoskeleton. Now, just what happens when one or two or ten of these fungus-golems gets -out- of someone's bag of holding? You can't kill it with swords, and if it's ripe with spores, all hacking it to bits would do is spread the fungus, and instead of one, you've got one hundred on your hands.

:twisted:

Thank you for the truely malevolant ideas, Kassil.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 07:50:01 PM »
You're welcome. Will my wizard come to regret my devising this?
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 07:55:35 PM »
Well, he probably should.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2004, 08:03:05 PM »
It vaguely worries me, though, as the wizard in question is based in the EverQuest Tabeltop RPG.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2004, 08:58:57 PM »
Unfortunately, EQ RPG bags, because of their varied nature, are difficult to explain as interdimensional portals. Said wizard, however, may grow into a master of the manipulation of space and teleportation...

*whilstles innocently and walks away.*

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2004, 09:03:48 PM »
*borrows from the Palladium universe and casts a Carpet of Adhesion under Siren's feet, to give himself more time to barricade his fortress*
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"