(Many drawn from the worthy Denizens of the Swamps, Bogs, and Fens submission!)
1. Leeches! Either regular leeches or Pacranite Leeches. In any case, there will be a lot of them.
2. A PC steps into the territory of one of many Sabre Crabs which lair along the shore's edge.
3. Swamp Rays skulking in the muddy waters.
4. Greenflies-Aquatic parasitic wasps making nuisences of themselves.
5. Northern Sandkoi - one of these beasts lives in the lake and can be encountered on either shore. If rerolled, another large, dangerous fresh-water encounter could be substituted.
6. Blackfly/Mosquito Swarm - An unusally dense swarm of the little besties will lay siege to the party. (Unlike mosquitoes, Blackflies take a small bite of flesh).
7. Wrapper waiting to wrap someone.
8. Jewel-of-the-Mire Lightshow at nighttime.
9. Periccus vine- Boon for Alchemists.
10. Silverblooms- Not dangerous, nice plant.
11. Fresh water Giant Mussel- Watch your step.
12. Karnan - A turtle to eat, or be eaten by.
13. Giant Dragonfly - 10-12' long, wingspan double that.
14. Giant Waterbeetle - 6' long with short-sword sized mandibles.
15. Freshwater Kraken - Not as big as sea-going kraken, but large enough to be a serious issue.
16. Moose - Large, grumpy swamp-dwelling deer relative.
17. Giant Eel, Electric, Freshwater.
18-20. Water-borne defender patrol (if actively defended)
Go to Comment
1. Generic Giant carnivorous fresh-water fish.
2. Topal (Lake Squid)
3. Dead heads (waterlogged logs floating below the water) will cause damage to boats.
4. Random violent weather - Severe wind gusts, squalls and other phenomena making water passage difficult.
5. Wild Dunkleoustous - Not so generic carnivourous fish.
6. Jewel-of-the-Mire - Intersting display
7. Freshwater Kraken - As per shallows encounter
8. Giant Algae - No real effect other then slowing down vessels, and harbouring leeches.
9. Karnan- Dangerous turtles - Lunch or be lunch.
10. Defender patrol (If fortress actively defended)
2. Death Nettle - Plant has razor-sharp spines all highly venomous and unpleasant. A passive plant, but wil overhang paths and be easily brushed against unless PCs are cautious.
3. Pixie Flowers - Found on mundane or not-so-mundane garden statuary.
4. The Wizard's Rube - A showpiece flower that moves on it's own.
5. Samhain's Kiss- Evil spirits could be nearby.
6. Arcanis - A small patch, easily overlooked, but can qualify as 'treasure' in this strange locale.
7. Rapacious Snapdragon - Will launch many vicious biting attacks.
8. Crystal Hornets - Flying about - will investigate magically equipped intruders.
9. Singeweed - If distirbed will trigger a chemical reaction creating great amounts of heat
10. Spitting Euphorbia - Will direct spurts of poisonous, caustic liquid at intruders.
11. Miremoss - Miremoss is used on most pathways through the garden. Normally there are stepping stones available to allow passage without becoming... mired. Paranoid PC's might avoid the stepping stones, suspecting traps.
14. Garden statuary (mundane or animated and dangerous)
15. Vissewort Patch
16. Scorpian Grass lining a Miremoss covered pathway.
17. Compost Pile full of Myrie Bugs
19. Regular tall grass infested with Grassbiters.
21. Tatterdemalions-of-the-Flailing-Leper making a spectacle of themselves.
22-30. Defender Patrol (If fortress actively defended, otherwise reroll.)