Sure, nobody actually wastes cold iron on spikes, but if you argue with the GM about it for long enough, you may just figure out a way to escape the inevitable wrath of Mrrrorw, Demon Lord of Rabid Housecats (It's very particular about the use of its full title) and its Hairball of Doom! (AcK! ACk! Tphffft!) Not to mention its undead demonic rodent minions!
Don't MAKE me turn that into a Sub! If you need information, just go to an old Bloom County comic and look up Bill the Cat. Go to Comment
84. In extremis, spikes can be tied to the end of a rope as a jury-rigged grapnel. Or, you can talk someone else into using it as a grapnel, then laugh as they plummet to their doom.
85. Held in the hands as you explore, you are armed if someone attacks, but if you drop it and it gets lost, it cost a fraction of what a proper weapon would. It's best to prepare a dignified-sounding explanation of why you're carrying around a spike ahead of time, so you don't stand there looking dumb if someone asks.
86. Lashed to a stick, it's an impromptu ice ax or bec de corbin (military pick). If you down a foe using it, you can then mock them mercilessly.
87. (A suggestion from Murometz:) You can use it to blind monsters such as beholders. After all, you could put an eye out with one of those things!
88. If you let them have a hammer, children love to play with them. Find the villain's kids and let them have a bunch of spikes. The villain will be finding the accursed things for months afterward.
89. You can use them to punch small holes in things. Put decorative piercework in the fighter's shield. Jazz up the mage's spellbook. Make those gold coins into decorative pendants.
90. Worried that huge critters will swallow you whole? Rig impromptu spiked armor! They may still kill you, but at least they'll probably be sorry they swallowed you.
91. If you've ever been camping, you know that you can never have too many tent spikes.
92. Iron Spikes make dandy hairpins, for keeping your coiffure out of your eyes when you're in the heat of battle. As an example of why this is so important, suppose you're fighting a medusa: You wouldn't want to be petrified with your hair all messed up.
93. They make dandy field-expedient splints, for when you have just finished fighting Mrrrorw, Demon Lord of Housecats and you're out of Cure spells
94. Fasten them to poke into the inside of a large box or coffin: Poof! Instant iron maiden. Make sure that no one you care about is using the coffin when you install the spikes.
95. Worried that pickpockets will snatch your wizard's magic wands? With a little paint, Iron Spikes make convincing copies. Let those rogues just try to snatch the real wand when the wizard has 40 more poking out of every pocket, his boot tops, etc. Just don't let the GM see the wizard's strength score unless he's really bad at math. Go to Comment
Yes, one with a picture of some spikes and the legend, "We thought that we were doomed, but I pulled out some iron spikes..." and on the back says, "Strolen's House of Spikes - Fine Iron Spikes for over 5 years!" Go to Comment
1 Halfling (or Gnome, bloody light Human, Elf or 1/2 elf)
6 to 12 iron spikes for the afore mentioned character, plus 1 or 2 for the quivers of arrows
a few short (by comparison) lengths of rope
1 bow and 1 or 2 quivers of arrows
1 hammer (unless you really want to try and hammer them into the stone ceiling by hand), mace, hammer, or other top heavy implement would suffice.
Hammer spikes into ceiling
Secure character to spikes with rope, do the same for the quivers
Have everyone else looking docile below the character on the ceiling, playing the afore mentioned Nim with spare spikes if you wish.
Wait for unsuspecting bad guys to see you and move towards you - hope they fail their spot checks. Go to Comment
Just found this - it's always great to know someone's actually used one of your submissions for RP; a high compliment. I also very much like the way he makes the order come to life (the eaten sword really made me laugh as well!) Go to Comment
While walking through the mountains, emerging from several small crevasse near you and begin attacking the party member with the most exposed skin. The Beez are creatures the size of a fist, with minimal stats but high agility. There is ten or more beez. Their sting causes a immediate loss of hitpoints.