With respect, i defy your opinion that these are not dwarves. These are my take on dwarves, created for my world of Asydia; they are the only dwarves in that land and this is simply how they are. The fact that they don't conform with stereotypical mountain dwelling drunkards doesn't mean they are not dwarves, and if they did, why would i bother making them, since that has been done to death and has no sense of originality.
there are many parallels with generic dwarves and Esgol Dwarves:
* They are both short, stocky, strong and favour beards (Though the Esgol dwarves grow them for warmth)
* They both indulge in alcohol almost religiously (not beer swillinf, but spirit drinking)
* They both live(d) in mountain strongholds and mined; the Esgol dwarves are merely victims of the harshness of the land and have been ousted.
* They both have(had) an affinity for elemental earth (they once worshipped a goddess who was a definition of the elements under Esgoloth)
* They both love to craft and create wonderful things (materials are simply lacking for the Esgol dwarves)
* They are both highly ritualistic in what they do (The Esgol dwarves have simply pit that to a mental outlet instead of physical, with philosophizing.)
* They both share a hatred for Orcs (The only Orcs in Asydia are the White-Orcs)
Just because these dwarves got complacent and were overrun doesn't make them any less dwarves. Tell me; were the classic Tolkien Fantasy dwarves lazy when they let goblins overrun the Mines of Morior? (I'm not sure of the details there, but im pretty sure they let goblins take over the whole place.)
furthermore; if these Esgol Dwarves can be replaced with human barbarians, so can any other dwarf. What's stopping humans from digging mines, growing beards and swilling beer?
These are dwarves who lost their ways and their homes. Beneath their cheery and friendly exterior lies a deep, wilting sorrow at the loss of their life. They are Dwarves who have seen their glory days, and watched it crumble before their eyes. It was never my intention to create standard dwarves (Because honestly, I don't like dwarves a whole lot the way they typically are; i wanted to make my own version.)
Go to Comment
so again, with respect, i defy your assertion that the Esgol Dwarves are not dwarves. Though if you still feel that way, there is nothing more i can say :p
I wasn't referring to the lack of stereotypical dwarven traits, but rather the lack of values that I would dub as dwarven. It simply didn't feel dwarven to me. And I still stand by that if you take every instance of the word dwarf in this sub and replace it with the name of a barbarian tribe, noone would point to this and say, oh hey they seem like dwarfs. It's all fine and good to create your own version of something, but like I've said before, there comes a point where you simply have gone so far from the original that you might as well use something else instead. Instead of hammering in screws, use a screwdriver. Respectfully.
Boy, I really got you riled up huh. =)
Go to Comment
PS. knowman, I've never played Dark Sun, so I wouldn't know.