Additionally, if there are any wards in the area, then he would be blocked by these... and certainly know to evade those temples, and other sensitive places. But there might be surprises... Go to Comment
No need to apologize, I perfectly agree with you. He is a solid 4 kind of character. Good for a campaign, but not the kind of plotline that is the exciting or epic. He is one of those minor story arcs you put in the campaign to help "fill in" the adventuring life of your characters.
And 5/5s should be handed out on a rare basis.
He is suitable for any kind of campaign, as mini-merchants/ street merchants are found in all settings. He could be an intinerate ship trader, a street vendor in the city or sprawl or arcology, or even a website that you can order odd things from (one must change with the times). Go to Comment
This has enough of a painful reoccurance to the players that is bespeaks of many fun filled hours of reoccuring nightmares for them. They could meet him one day and have a splendid time, then the next time they meet him it always seems ot be a bad day for them to where they think he draws them bad luck, then the next time, good again. A perfect on again off again kind of relationship with an NPC like this is classic. Go to Comment
VERY nice MH. I love the way you flesh him out, yet leave enough of him unsaid so that he can be weaved into any fantasy campaign.
I give it a 4/5. Why not that last little bit? Well, I'm not quite sure, but something seems lacking in there. While a good NPC, he isn't absolutely wonderful, great, AWESOME. And that's okay. I think that 5/5s should be handed out on a rare basis, for those really special MH works. Go to Comment
Yeah, I have little to add to what has already been said. I think he isn't the easiest character to work into a campaign, but I like the idea of the players 'just happening' to see him a lot. Even if nothing happens they should be a little suspicious. Go to Comment
I read this one before registering for the Citadel, and am coming back to add my vote. Well done on this! A nice way to sew misery, pettiness and despair -- the kind that the PCs would love to fight, but has no clear source.
It is far from generic, or mundane... in fact, I think the lord of the house would be quite insulted if someone called it this way.
There comes the plot hook: someone had the audacity to claim lord so and so has a garden ten times as beautiful as this one! So get those adventurers, and let them find out what exactly is in that (heavily guarded) garden, before they are compared by the King himself. (May add quests for exotic items to make this garden even more special.)
Even competition in beauty can become deadly serious... Go to Comment
*breathing heavily, gets a huge axe, and after a moment of maniacal laughter recovers and forces himself to throw it away*
"Must be creative... must not kill people that post dozens of comments without adding value to it."
Therefore... more plot hooks and things-to do for the PCs.
- there's some minor critters threatening the gardens or visitors' comfort, and are hard to remove. Ideal for a less-known party to make a name. Hunting, (re)search.
- a kid has become lost. Of course it is a child of someone important, so find it before the parents find out! Sneaking, diplomacy, search.
- hinder cocky nobles from starting a duel. Diplomacy, manipulation.
- young nobles on holidays fall in love, but are from the wrong houses. The Romeo an Juliet thing must be prevented. Manipulation.
- a badly needed noble/general/archmage/... fell in love with the place and started a career as a gardener. The country needs your aid. Manipulation.
- somebody has died... unnaturally. Detective, search.
- apparently one of the servants has stolen something. Thief or some other motive? Detective.
- randomly found evidence of blackmail... what will they do? Detective and more.
- by chance or intent, overhear a private talk that shouldn't have been heard. Shall they tell somebody? And what will be the consequences? Diplomacy and more.
- without an apparent reason, the peasants start a rebellion against the manor. Repel the attack, then find out why. Combat/Strategy, detective and possibly more.