Oh, this was supposed to be a stub. Oh well, since you two voted on it, I guess I can leave it a sub.
It was originally designed to be less of a spooky place and more of a "trap". See they players will hear the stories. Yet, they will of course risk it sometime. You know the situations: To get there ahead of them or to runaway from others, or a myrid number of other things. The first time they go through, after some sweat, they will fly though pretty much free. (Maybe a couple of rolls to make them feel skilled and cool.) Feeling brave and know it is just a legend (or not nearly as bad as the stories make it out to be), they will do it again and maybe again. After three times, they will be feeling pretty cocky about their "special short cut". That is when it hits them. They hit a charged location and.. well time to really see how good they are. And since "leaky brain pan"(a bit crazy) is a common situation, then you will have a crew go a bit more nutz. And you will have to repair stuff or canabilize systems and so on.
Now you could make it a bit more occult, dressed up with science fiction. (You would have to take it out of its native Firefly universe.) Extra dimensional beings enter the ship and mess with you (i.e. ghosts or demons). Heck even a Star Trek Glowing Ball of Emotion Manipulation would be a good thing. It the delusions happen... well it is just a strange section of space. Now about space warps and time warps, that can be done too.
The bad part is that most of the scary stuff can simply be couched in these terms and it loses a lot of its impact. Still, an interesting way to go. Go to Comment
You mean besides the "quietly insane" crew members altered by the space? I guess a disabling space with a communication nul combines two sci-fi memes. Like I said, only a stub that didn't stay "stubified". Go to Comment
Ah, the Bermuda Triangle of space. This is the perfect place to have a side-adventure ghost story. Maybe something involving critters in the darkness after lights go out, picking up ghost transmissions (bonus points for ships lost long before to The Quiet, with appropriate authentication codes), or navigation going completely screwy ("What do you mean the stars don't match those on the chart? This is The Quiet, they specifically map the sky for this place!"). All sorts of fun can be had here. Go to Comment
I am new and don't know the difference between a stub and a sub. In game terms, I don't see why anyone would pass through this area. I mean certainly a gm could come up with a reason for it, but it seems to be written as if there is large base of knowledge on this region in the gaming world. Thus to take that narrative stance you would have to have reason that people pass through it. Secondly, I know you referencing Firefly but you could have just written "space cloud that messes with electrical systems sometime even human neurons" and the effect would have been the same. Like Scrasamax said, it is just another dead zone idea. I thought the Quiet was nice name though. Manfred has encouraged me to read all of Moonhunter's stuff to get the full picture of his talent. So I am working my through it.
That was my point. All you would need to write is "space cloud that messes with electrical systems sometime even human neurons" and you could think of all these reasons. But if he was going to write up something like this he could have given it more background, or flavor.
"- because they are in a hurry (want to get fast _to_ or _from_ something?)
- because they want to stay undetected
- because they are curious
- because of a malfunction they drifted into the area
- because they don't know any better (or someone 'updated' their database)"
Then in your post, you ask a rhetorical question "What'd be the fun in a game, if all journeys were constant and safe?" This had nothing to do with what I said, I was not knocking obstacles. I was just saying as a RPG supplement this was neither an original, well written or well developed idea. I think the reason you asked that is because when we encounter a stale representation of a trite convention such as this one all we can do is debate the trite convention itself.
31) An explosion occurs in a nearby cafe and completely destroys the interior and front of the place, causing a panic among the people on the street. The police and fire departments deploy.
32) After a night out with the "guys" the PC's notice a car following them slowly. If they stop and wait in the shadows for a while the driver turns down a side street and speeds away.
33) A pair of fast-talking men run a game of three-card monty. Ironically, the game is somewhat straight, while their third associate circulates through the crowd, picking the pockets of those who stay to watch.
34) A watermelon falls onto the street, splattering everywhere. It was thrown out of a third story window by a drunk teenager.
35) A group of cyclists, probably the participants of a race, block the street for a few minutes.
36) A man holding a sign saying "free hugs".
40) A guy strolls along strumming a song.
41) A loud break-up taking place, as an angry woman in her apartment shouts at her ex on the sidewalk, while throwing the man's possessions out the window, several stories to the ground.
42) Plainclothes cops arrest a struggling teenager. No-one reacts.
43) Two incredibly drunk middle aged men beat each other bloody. Just, really slowly.
44) A crazy homeless guy rocks out to his iPod.
45) Gorgeous girl with an ugly, "what can she see in him", obnoxious boyfriend stroll by. You collide with a lamppost.
46) Tranny combining cleavage top and 5 o'clock shadow. The horror. Lamppost.
47) A pack of transvestites huddled together against the cold try to get to a diner after their club lets out.
48) A beautiful woman is buying something from a street vendor. When she speaks, you realize she is a man.
49) Scruffy, teenage mallrats practice pro-wrestling moves on each other.
50) Done up Goths listen in rapt horror to an old man's war stories at a bus stop.
51) A half-dozen rowdy drunken sports fans, fresh to celebrate their team's win.
52) An elementary school kid, pushing a bike with two flat tires. He has a gash on his forehead which is still bleeding. Go to Comment
53) A man walks by with a snake around his shoulders.
54) A model spotter for one of the big agencies stops the best looking (or interesting looking) characters in the group and asks if they ever considered modeling. They want to take a polaroid and phone number.
55) Photo or film shoot. A moderate area is cordoned off. There is something of a crowd around it.
56) A film shoot is breaking down. The number of beautiful women per square foot can take your breath away.
57) There is a famous Star and their much less famous girlfriend walking down the street in normal clothes. They are not attached to any media circus going on, they are simply getting a quick bite.
58) A Star, with full entourage including security guards, surrounded by paparazzi, is shifting between their limo and a restaurant/ club/ salon/ store/ hotel.
59) A News Crew for the local station is setting up for a shot. You see the talent getting ready to go on camera. There are tons of cables everywhere and a few stand up lights. The camera guy is trying to tape things down. Go to Comment
60) A police officer oblivious to his/her surroundings indulging in a Meat Pie/Hot Dog/Burger/Insert local fare here.
61) Sitting at their local coffee shop at 9am the PC's find a team of US Marshals( or agents of the government of whatever country your PC's are in) dropping by for a cup after a long morning of arresting fugitives.
62) A unit of recruits/police academy cadets on their daily run.
63) Lots and lots of sirens approach from one end of the street. Cars pull up to the side or mount the pavement as the convoy of armored police vans and unmarked cars tears down the wrong side of road. Just as they disappear round the corner, a lone patrol car peels out and heads in the opposite direction.
64) A policeman having a double-parked car towed, while pedestrians watch approvingly.
65) A bunch of drunk frat guys harass a young cop; the young cop suddenly flies off the handle (he's obviously new to the job and has had a bad day) and grabs one of the frat boys and jacks him against the wall. Suddenly, everything turns really quiet.
66) Traffic backed up three blocks because two cops are parked next to each other with their flashing lights on, just casually talking, and every passing car slows down to see what's going on. Go to Comment
67) A young couple ask one of the characters to take their photo by a landmark or just in front of something interesting.
68) A clearly lost man trying to hold a very large map out in front of him asks for your help. He doesn't speak the local language (or anything your speak) at all, but repeats the name of the place he is looking for over and over while gesturing at the map. For bonus weirdness the place he is looking for is a bit peculiar ("flesh house", "gate place", "human living location").
69) A walking tour goes by with the tour guide rattling off important facts about the area. The players pick up just the piece of information they need (or will need) about the area.
70) A pack of Japanese tourists are taking pictures of everything. The apparent leader seems to be leading them by some kind of GPS device.
It is a little out of sequence, but just came to me
71) A man and a woman, dressed to impress, pass by. You hear the woman saying "I'm sorry your wife left you for your stepfather..." Go to Comment
86) Passing Hare Krishnas offer flowers and say "Gouranga. Be Happy"
87) A chugger (charity mugger) approaches with a clipboard and asks if the party can spare a few moments and a small monthly contribution to ease the plight of
a) the homeless b) persons suffering from cancer c) abused children d) the environment etc etc
88) A political candidate and entourage sweep through the street shaking hands and asking who you're going to vote for.
89) An old homeless person of indeterminate sex passes by pushing a shopping cart filled with random rubbish. They mutter something about "Automobiles and shrimp..."
90) Some street theater performers put on a performance. They encourage the audience to participate in their interactive play.
91) An extremely old lady grasps your elbow and asks you to walk her across the street. She walks VERY slowly and it'll take you at least a couple of minutes to walk her across (the light will change, obviously).
92) There's a long, white limousine parked by the curb; as you walk by, you notice a small camera crew filming what's going on inside; it's pretty obvious they're filming a porno.
93) Some guy is on the side-walk selling stuff, i.e. bootleg CD's, African beads, etc. While he waits for customers, he stands off to one side in a HORSE STANCE to show everyone that he knows Kung-Fu is shouldn't be messed with.
94) Two young girls walk up to you and say "$200?". They aren't prostitutes; they just think YOU'RE looking for one. They laugh and go on their way.
95) You attention is drawn when you hear the sound of a large vehicle accelerating hard. A BMW SUV breaks out of traffic and accelerates towards oncoming traffic only to screech to a stop diagonally in front of another car. The driver jumps out and begins screaming at the driver of the car he has just cut off.
96) A trio of nuns playing jump-rope.
97) A young man playing a guitar, with the case open on the ground before him. He has a sign that says COLLECTING DONATIONS FOR THE OPTIMUS PRIME ELECTION CAMPAIGN. He can play any song you care to name.
98) While walking past a Catholic School in midwinter, a snowball hits a PC in back. An elderly nun ambles about nonchalantly.
99) A particularly loud and irate protest group outside the place they are protesting (abortion clinic, courthouse, city hall, corporate HQ, etc.). things are starting to get damned ugly, but there's no violence... yet
100) Two small children run pass wearing home-made superhero masks/capes
101) A small child asks a player if that is a real gun/sword/etc they have hidden on them Go to Comment