That is the point. Little things to throw in the background to show the world is still moving and does not (completely) revolve around the PCs. Most of these are things players won't enage. If they do, they are either between "adventures" or really bored with the one they are on. Go to Comment
72) A local construction crew has the sidewalk marked off with yellow tape. Half of the men are working with pneumatic jackhammers busting concrete while the others lean on their shovels smoking cigarettes.
73) A performance artist doing interpritive dance on the street corner
74) Two police cars sitting on a side street, the drivers talk, blocking what little traffic there is.
75) City Sanitation truck running it's rounds, stop and go every 30 feet while the men load the city waste.
76) A group of kids run out of a restaurant, the waiter/owner in persuit. Dine and dash in the city.
77) Generation Y-er jamming to his iPod obliviously runs into one of the PCs, 'Get out of my face man, watch it!'
78) Cop on a Segway Human transporter rolls by, putting parking tickets on cars parked illegally, or at meters that have run out.
79) The local newstand, sells candy bars, newspapers, and cigarettes. The ethnic owner sees alot of things but keeps his mouth shut unless asked directly.
80) A rabbi carrying a book and a sack of groceries down the side of the street, smiles politely and walks on.
81) A group of wife-beater clad skinheads leaning on a corner, looking slantwise at everyone who walks by, they are itching for a fight.
82) A pale person walking down the street stops in front of the PCs, starts coughing, then vomits on the sidewalk. Go to Comment
Oh and not sure how I missed this one. Fantastic scroll! So many juicy tidbits. So useful. This may sound obvious, but a "story" starts taking shape in my mind, for almost every blurb i read. Go to Comment
This is good and there are some quite funny ones in here, also this would be a great resource for a GM who is worried that his view of a city isn't random enough or too slanted. But the list is too large and varied, and perhaps could benefit from another layer of organization.
You could have night and day, winter and summer lists. But as you say a city is made by the people in it and the interactions that might be usual for one city may be very unusual for another. So this sort of list glosses over the things that make all your other city images so fantastic.
I am not saying it isn't useful to some, but it is more of platform for ideas than idea in and of itself. And in that regard I think it could use some honing. Go to Comment
257) A five strong group of heavyset men, none smaller than 6 feet try to mug a frail looking elderly couple. As the elderly gentleman reaches for his wallet, the woman steps forward, and in a blurred flurry of movement, send three of the muggers on the floor, unconscious. The other two take a look at each other and at the woman turning towards them and start to run away. Go to Comment
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with these lists, and as they say above some bullets are quite entertaining. In that sense you almost have urban poetry here, but as a game resource you have very little. If somebody wants to set a tone for a scene or city then this as a random generator or grab bag won't work. In addition some of these almost little stories obviously meant to amuse the list reader.
195) A wedding cake is being moved from the car to a doorway across the sidewalk. Several people have stopped to form a human shield between pedestrians and the five layer monstrosity. Unfortunately, the people carrying the cake are not too strong.
196) A group of young women all wearing the same ugly mauve dress are trying to hail a cab.
197) On the steps of a church standing next to a bride, are two men with shotguns.
198) There is a man in a tuxedo running down the street (to or away from The Church is up to you.)
While what you have here may be an interesting read, it doesn't come across as an effective resource for a GM. As suggested if you sort them perhaps by tone, era, time or geography you could have something really cool. (i.e. Scenes from a Noir city, Scenes from a Steampunk city, Scenes from a Roman city etc..) It seems you just got carried away with an idea before you thought it through, and it is mostly you isn't it who post all this stuff. I hope you don't see this comment as mean or harsh.
Another great community resource.
Lots of awesome ideas here to add life to a city. Quite a few of them would make very nice plot hooks as well.
I've just added a few quick ideas of my own... These are all things I've seen around my home city. I'll work on some more generic ones for later.
And in case anyone is wondering... 276 was a prank we pulled. All involved got absolutely slammed for it... Go to Comment
273 A classical string quartet are busking on the street corner outside a newsagency. It takes you a moment to realise that you recognise what they're playing. Is it a Michael Jackson song? Or maybe Prince...
274 A middle aged woman is busking outside a cafe. She is strangely dressed, wearing purple stockings, a red miniskirt and an orange shirt. She's singing at the top of her lungs and strumming her guitar loudly. And very badly...
275 A young man dressed as a pirate is sitting with his back against a shop window, singing about a love he lost at sea while swigging from a large bottle of rum.
276 Two men in dark green HAZMAT suits stagger out of a large office block. After a moment they start shouting about how it wasn’t their fault and at the people standing around to run. As they pass you you notice the word ARMY emblazoned across the back of their suits.
277 Two paramedics are in the process of loading a body bag onto a stretcher and into the back of a waiting ambulance. Several police officers are standing around talking to who you assume to be witnesses.
278 A man on a moped cuts in front of you, weaving in and out of the pedestrians to avoid the traffic.
279 A young woman is in the middle of the walkway on her hands and knees. She seems to be desperately searching for something. You notice a pair of glasses at your feet…
280 You hear a low moan behind you and as you turn you come face to face with a zombie. A zombie drinking a can of coke… As you look around you see several other zombies doing usual every day things. You notice a sign on the wall advertising the 4th annual Zombie March.
281 A girl in a school uniform is arguing with two police officers. From what you overhear you suspect she was smoking and they confiscated her cigarettes. Apparently the ID she handed them identifies her as being 32…
282 A kid walks past wearing a Black Sabbath shirt, his music so loud that you can hear it from 10 feet away.
283 A man walks down the footpath dressed in nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist.
284 A police officer is standing next to car dabbing at the front of his shirt with a cloth where he’s just spilt his coffee.
285 A man thrusts a leaflet in your face leaving you no option but to take the leaflet or walk through him.
286 A small café has its doors open and the smell of roasting coffee floods the street.
287 Unfortunately someone has left it on too long and it smells burnt. (for use with 286)
288 A large neon sign on the building above you shorts out with a loud zap.
289 People are having photos taken with large muscular man standing on the street corner dressed in nothing but a green mankini.
290 The cathedral bells chime to mark the hour… They’re early, it is only 1352.
291 A man dressed as Jesus runs past you singing Zippadi-doo-da as loud as he can.
292 An overweight copper is chasing after him, panting heavily. (for use with 291) Go to Comment