I know that you are a practitioner of medieval martial arts Incarnadine but this article, although good, has some flaws.
1. You state that weapons beyond 5 feet are not of particular use, but surely polearms have proved anything but useless? From the early phalanx to the reinvention of the pike in mid-europe more than five centuries ago, when a peasant army vanquished an army of mounted knights and the era of the knight was decidedly over.
2. The shape section is not in complete harmony with a great number of other articles on this matter. It is not wrong but the comments about curved and straight swords is over-simplified.
Nevertheless, this is an article that should have been read by gamers and roleplayers alike. Go to Comment
Indeed a solid post. If I were to make any suggestion for improvement, it would be to elaborate on societal pressures that historically influence weapon shape and function. You touched on it with the comment about plate mail -- the weapons vs. armor race was extremely important to the development of both. What about terrain; did it have any impact on the types of weapons used? How about weapons for group vs individual fighting (legionaries vs gladiators, for example)? Go to Comment
I like this fundementally. Just a couple of things.
1) She is one dimensional. Even the Jedis were not one dimensional. What Echo said.
She needs ROLEPLAY NOTES, telling how to play this character.
2) All the Knights were in the Cathedral? Weren't there some Knights actually on assignements?
3) There was only one "center" for the knights? You mean there isn't another citadel or cathedral in another country that the Knights had.
IS SHE THE LAST ONE? It seems to be implied in the write up.
4) The cathedral was annihilated in a towering inferno the night of Selynâs birthday. Witnesses describe an unholy god moving through the flaming ashes, bringing insanity and pain with a mere touch.
Okay, this is just a more poetic version of the I'M AN ORPHAN CLICHE. This annoyed me.
5) For the continuity, write up the organization, its equipment, and history and linked it back to this character (and the character back to it)
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=659 or its own thread. The items can be included in that or listed as items on the first page, linked back to the organization thread/ post. Go to Comment
The descriptions are nice, but still Selyn remains one-dimensional.
Consider: what does she live for except for vengence? Bingo.
Very few people 'work' 24h a day, and neither will she. How is she like during her 'free; time?
How does she react to matters NOT pertaining to her quest? Will she just say "bad command or file name" anytime the PCs adress a topic not related to demonhunting and battle... ignoring them?
A low-end 3. Go to Comment
This sort of item (random effect, what could be better? Wee!) has been done to death.
On the upside, fairly interesting presentation, though one would think that people would come up with something more interesting to represent chaos than shifting colors. Meh. Y'know, just my cantakerousness speaking.