This candle, when found, will always be "new", with a fresh, untouched wick. On the underside of the foot long, six-inch thick candle, a single rune can be seen, an infinity symbol or the like, a sigil denoting immortality.
Whoever lights the candle for any reason, will trigger the candle's "curse" immediately. Once lit, the candle contniues to burn, but the wax never seems to melt, nor does the candle ever shrink in size from the flames. For as long as the candle burns, the person will become literally immortal, immune to the ravages of old age and disease. The cruel catch however is that the candle is in every other way, quite ordinary, and can and will go out from a strong gust, or even a drafty breeze. It can likewise be doused with water, or the wick can simply be squeezed with two fingers to extinguish it. The insidious power of the candle then simply extinguishes the life of the candle lighter, irrevocably, on the spot. If left in a "perfect" environment, where it can stay lit forever (theoretcially), the lighter will indeed remain immortal. So while on one hand, this candle is a mighty artefact, a creation of some ancient, failed lich, on the other hand, it is more bane than boon.
Rumours persist of a certain assasin's order, known to use the candles of immortality to kill.
44. Candle of Harsh Light
The light cast from this candle is noticeably stronger than an average candle's light shoudl be. The light seems "purer" and somewhat intense, though not blinding. When this candle is lit, ine can easily notice blemishes, pores, and tiny marks upon the one's face and skin. Streetwalkers can be seen more clearly, often illuminating their normally unnoticeable flaws. One may notice a brown stain on a brown shirt more clearly, and so on. Noble women and theatre performers, often use these candles simply as lighting for application of make-up and skin-care. Sages and tomb-raiders use them as well, casting a clearer light on mysterious tomes and intricate picture carvings, which may or may not feature hidden meanings and riddles.
(Basically, they are not unlike the differences between regular and HD TV in effect) Go to Comment
24. Candle of Life - Unlike normal fires, this candle produces oxygen as it burns, and in volumes that belie its size. It can support 6 humans at rest as it burns.
25. Candle of Rest Denied - This candle interferes with the normal sleep processes, preventing the victim from falling asleep from non-magical causes, and will even provide some resistance to magically induced sleep. Being present while it burns for even a minute will be enough for the effect to take.
26. Candle of Precarious Sleepwalking - This candle interferes with the normal paralysis which stops people from injuring themselves during dreams, and also decreases the likelihood of waking. Under the effects of this substance, the victim will attempt to physically enact aspects of their dreams - attacking people, attempting to fly, running around, etc
27. Candle of Illumination - This candle emits vastly greater illumination then standard candles, the actual amount depending upon the quality of the candle. The upper end produces illumination equivilent to daylight. However, these candles function only once - if snuffed, they become mudane candles.
28. Candle of Entrophy - All things bathed in the candle's light are subject to the negative effects of aging. One loses vitality without gaining in wisdom. Metal rusts, wood decays, stone crumbles. The rate of degradation depends on the quality of the candle - the most powerful of which are dangerous indeed.
29. Blacklight Candle - Candle emits ultraviolet light in a fairly high intensity. Those capable of seeing UV can see quite well under this light, while floresence materials will visibly glow. It emits no visible light apart from a very small blue flame.
30. Candle of Elemental Fire This candle burns with a small quantity of Elemental fire. It will not extingish until all wax is consumed, and uses no air to do so. It serves as a source of elemental fire for casting fire-related spells and will greatly improve the success rate of fire-related rituals and spells. Go to Comment
The wax and wick of this candle are filled with the active ingredients of various Healing Herbs, which will have their effects on anyone who remains within 5' for the entire duration of the candles burning time. Each minute spent out of the radius will cause a 5% cumulative chance of failure. Go to Comment
This special candle, which functions but once when lit, will burn with a glorious light, a flickering promise. When the flame is touched by one who wishes to die, they are immediately enveloped by a brilliant white inferno. Moments later, they and all they carry crumble to the floor as ash. Go to Comment
This powerful magical candle will burn for eight hours,and the light it sheds, while not over bright, will sustain plants within 10' as if in natural light. It does not, however, have any supernatural powers ascribed to true sunlight.
72. Arrowstop Candle
Actually more powerful then its name suggests, any projectile will lose all speed when coming within 10' of the lite candle. The candle can be snuffed normally, and cannot be relit if this happens. These candles burn very quickly, and lose time for each projectile stopped. Go to Comment
22. Candle of Interrogation. - Anyone seeing this candle and being asked questions will see and feel their most feared artefact/monster and be desperate to spill the beans. The closer the candle the stronger the fear and feeling to tell all.
23. Toxic Candle. - Unlit its non toxic, but once lit and the wax melts the toxins encased within the wax are released. Numerous toxins can be released in this way . Toxins that give off poisonous gas to narcotics. Some are not released into the air but remain poisonous to the touch (percutaneous absorption). This is left lying around as drips of the melted wax. Letters sealed with a wax seal(made from said candle) have been known to kill the opener or fill with them with such euphoria they agree etc to the contents of the letter. Go to Comment
Nice list, a standard common everyday item wonderfully twisted. Love it. You see an old backpack on the floor covered in dust. After looking inside you find a bunch of candles and some cheap trinket jewellery GM "wooohhaaa gotya" Go to Comment
Within a few seconds of this candle being lit, the flame will launch itself towards whatever the candle is pointing at. It's mainly used as a primitive firework, as the fireball rarely flies true, making it nearly worthless as a weapon. This candle is responsible for more than one outbreak of fire, lit by those who are unaware of it's magical properties. As such, the are several countries who ban this sorts of candles, and those who continue to manufacture them tend to include various warning labels and distinctive marks.
(Think of it as a fantasy equivalent of a signal flare.)
This candle appears much like a regular candle when unlit. It's special properties only appear when lit. Within a few minutes of being lit, the candle flame will become still and glass like, and would cease to emit both heat and light. In fact, the area around the marble tends to be significantly colder than it's surroundings. The resulting object tends to be a near perfect replica of the flame, and can be picked up and handled much like any other object. It's true properties appear when it's shattered. When it's broken, it will release all the heat it has gathered in a massive conflagration. The strength of the explosion depends on how long it has been since it's been created. Older marbles yield larger explosions than newer ones, the oldest of which are capable of creating firestorms all by themselves. They are also easily concealed or disguised as jewelery, making them excellent weapons for the unscrupulous. Understandably, these kinds of candles are extremely rare. Go to Comment