It is in Requesting Advice, so the author apparently thought it needs something more.
Hey, what if someone finds those necklaces after a long time, breaks the twig (silly twig stuck in a nice gold chain) and is transported to the original destination... likely an abandoned, dangerous location. A group would have to either split or follow anyone transported to gods-know-where. Go to Comment
Tootheye - a single tooth, polished into a small ball, so that it is unrecognizable where it came from. It is a detector, allowing its wearer to feel all the toothed creatures within ten feet. The small radius still allows to feel some surprises, if you ignore dead bodies and any companions around. Don't forget the many things without teeth.
Toothache - the badly rotted tooth must have been torn out by a dentist. Crushing it will give your enemy a serious pain, multiplied if it is his tooth. Curiously, the second effect applies also to the undead.
Toothfree - this magical accident, a small medallion, will affect its wearer's emotions to other people. Those with better teeth will be envied, those with worse teeth will be looked down upon. The name comes from the effect of those without any teeth: they will appear completely mysterious and fascinating, be they mundane or even senile grandpas. Go to Comment
Interesting folks. I am reminded of the fremen of Dune... completely different and yet akin.
What do they eat, by the way, fish or something more exotic? That could tell us some more about them.
Somewhat related, I would bet there are talks among the other human breeds of their strange customs, like consuming their dead, and more 'outlandish cultural affairs'. Perhaps you can start with that and turn it in whatever way around... use pride and prejudice to shape them.
Plus, it is clear they must be much more effective in the cold depths of space. I heard tons of stories about that. Go to Comment
A 30 for the 30, more ways to make your werecreature stand out:
A Question of Acceptance - how did the person inwardly change as a result, and in relation to lycantropy?
- has fully embraced the condition, or as some would say, succumbed to it
- is in control of the beast, as far as it is possible
- is barely holding the beast in check, may slip at any moment
- still does not know about it, usually a fresh starter
- something went completely wrong... does not know about own condition, and obsessively hunts the monster that always seems to be nearby
- has come to hate all humanity for its imperfections, or likes to hunt his kind (there may be exceptions)
- has come to hate all werewolves/-creatures (again, there may be exceptions)
- separated self from family and friends, but keeps watching over them in secret
- never stays in one place for too long, always on the move
- upon realizing the fact, has made a public scene - either a general scandal, or completely revealed the condition
A Question of Appearance - and how did the person change outwardly?
- gained animalistic attractiveness, a sexy beast indeed
- exudes raw power, may also be stronger in human form; has a tendency towards using it
- unless at least partially transformed, has a subdued appearance (aka "But he was just an ordinary guy!")
- became ugly to downright monstrous; has some of the marks folklore associates with lycanthropes
- by loss of control during the first change, or self-loathing, mutilated himself; it won't heal
- around full moon has the full physical strength of the beast even in human form
- the transformation was imperfect (or was it?), and left supernatural marks - changed reflection in the mirror, shadow, animal immediately perceiving it, etc.
- smells like the animal in question
- has even more rapid healing, but wounds may open later, from stress or chance
- can control bodily hair... always a good haircut
A Question of Animal - what is specific for the animal form?
- is a smaller, more agile version than typical
- is larger and slower, able to withstand more punishment
- no matter the current actions, looks like a 'friendly animal' (for dogs it would mean the 'smile', a wagging tail, orderly fur, etc.)
- no matter the current actions, looks like a 'bad animal', downright to rabid (bares teeth, much saliva, tends to growl, etc)
- there is a thing or person, that has a deeply soothing effect on the beast
- there is a thing or person, that has a strong enraging effect on the beast
- needs to roam a lot, nothing but large expanses of open land or wilderness will do
- tolerates enclosed living well, for a lycanthrope
- tends to adopt orphaned young (not necessarily of own species), may include the offspring of own kills
- has definite sexual preferences, figure them out yourselves, you perverts :) Go to Comment
This is a werewolf, or more of a weredog. It is a golden retriever (or replace with some other good-looking dog breed people like so much). The unusual size will make people careful anyway. To survive close to the civilization, and still enjoy the thrill of the hunt, "Lassie" has developed an entertaining game. It will find a child in distress, endangered by somebody, and a little growling and a show of teeth will force the bad guy to retreat. After playing with the kid, few will believe either side that the dog was unnaturally large. Besides, the bad guy will vanish soon after... ashamed of running from a dog, people will say.
Thomason is not really 'evil' or 'good',it is just convenient to be on the good side. He stays in the animal shape most of the time and slowly loses his humanity. Having a tough life before, he doesn't even mind. He can't remember how it begun. But at nights he dreams of a female, one like him. Maybe it was her.
The Mannik say, that in the far north, where not even the bravest hunters go, lives an old man by the man of Skowot. The cold doesn't freeze him, the wind does not break him. He is older than their tribe.
They say he is a wise man, and a wizard, who speaks with many creatures, and cares little for man or beast. If you offer him a fresh seal, or finely smoked whale meat, he may give you worthy advice.
But know, that any who would seek to hurt him, end badly. You will not find him. He will follow you in the guise of a massive white bear, unseen, until it is too late. Go to Comment
Had to add a few, since a few ideas slipped across the cracks, this excellent collection deserved to have more. It was the chilling qualities of Savid, the Rain-Maker, that impressed me most. Go to Comment