28. The entire ship's mainframe crashes. Cue five days of hairpulling as all software is reinstalled from disk. ("Damn, I'm missing disk 4/7!" "Whaddyou mean, incompatible drivers. It worked last time!")
29. The custom officials at starbase epsilon-11-alpha are on strike.
30. Work on the space lane is ongoing. when queried, the workers are playing 3D pinball and drinking beer. No-one seems to be in charge. Go to Comment
37. A large collection of exquisitely written love letters, clearly spanning several decades, from the local widowed duchess. Interestingly, they start close to her husband's death, and they seem to be addressed to him.
She often refers to "Your most unfortunate accident"
38. A small locket, opening it will reveal the picture of a beautiful maiden. If the possessions are searched thoroughly one will find a page of a church's death register, with all name scribbled out but one:
"Anna Segara, Died of consumption 24th of June 1664, aged 19"
39. A wrapped gift showing sign of great age. On it is a small card inscribed: "To My Mother, For your limitless patience, forgiving smile, and enduring support. Your Son, Marco" If opened the gift reveals a beautiful rosewood jewelry box. Go to Comment
actually, if you managed to manipulate gravity, you could simply create a gravitational sink in front of your ship, and a gravitational mountain behind it. ie, your ship wouldn't travel inside the wormhole, but would have a black hole in front and a white hole behind, the two joined by a wormhole to keep everything balanced!
That way, any obstacles would just get trapped inside the blackhole, go through the wormhole, and come out behind your ship. safe and sound.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/research/warp/ideachev.html might give some more ideas. Go to Comment
Approaching your destination, a fleet of military cruisers come in sight. Their messages are clear. Nobody enters the quarantine zone. It turns out that the destination has been swept with the lengthy Crimson Cough, a disease which, at first, resembles a normal Hantavirus. After a long period of pain and 10-12% mortality, however, the victims begin to recover, albeit with modified personality, characterised by extreme aggressiveness. Unlike the typical "Zombies", however, the victims retain all superior cognitive function, making any outbreak extremely dangerous, since victims will retain skills and knowledge of weapon use as well as full capacity for complex stratagems and tactics. It is also noted that they show a distinct lack of sensitivity to pain, most likely due to the inhuman hormonal discharges caused by the disease.
The last time they docked, the crew was wrongfully handed a crate of little harmless animals, with an incredible breeding rate. Honest mistake from the dock authority (the crate was meant to go somewhere else), and which could have been easily remedied by leaving the crate behind. The problem is, in their incompetence, the dock hands broke the crate when loading it on board. Now, the party shares their ship with a multitude of little critters. making it worse is the fact that the little animals (here the GM should make them cute as possible) are completely unafraid of humans, and will be found in every corner of the ship! Worse, tehy feed mostly off the electromagnetic radiation from the engines and so will shun away most poisons, except the very rare Unboro tree sap. Of course, that is at the other side of the region...
Specialized, yes, but some of the group dynamics are interesting. You describe a full setting with the fire fighter's relationship with each other, and the different views and opinions can easily be transfered to say, an army unit, or a lumberjack group, or a mercenary group, it makes them come alive in term of character, even if the descriptions are a bit monotone and not so colorful. 3.5/5 Go to Comment