When I select my file to upload thru the insert image button, I will see a msg on the left at the btm of my screen that says "waiting for strolen.com to respond" and then the screen will just go into inactivity..... Go to Comment
Thanks for the HOH and the score of 5, Axle. Your comment is comprehensive and insightful as always. I can see the value of your suggestion with respect to using a more personal voice on instructing these concepts- it will certainly help to spice up the sub. However, as I've indicated before, I'm currently out of love with this particular sub so for the time being, no more work on it is forthcoming (eventually, there will be some cos I still haven't detailed how this system works in my particular setting- the Dragon Empire. I turned this sub from setting-specific to a somewhat open-to-all system halfway through writing b/c of the Appeasing BH Challenge so yeah, currently this piece is not grounded in any world specifically but can be up-for-grabs in any world)
On your question on how I envision ppl casting a Ren spell, well in general, I see the caster thinking of some aspects in the natural environment (actually, anything from the realm of living would do, I see the Ren category as basically a catch-all category for spells that don't belong to any of the other 7 categories of possible dualities) eg. plants withering and coming back to life in a continuous cycle, a stream that steadily flows past a rock, a bonfire etc. and then mimicking these aspects in their minds when they cast a spell. To be honest, while this sub has provided a sort of 'metaphysical' foundation for magic as you call it, the fact that I make spell-casting in this system based on mind disciple is my way of keeping the 'hand-waving' aspect of magic casting so that I can kick this sub out of the door.
I call it the Way of Fengshui for my setting. A practitioner is called a Geomancer (I didn't make up this term, I think that's what Wiki calls them)
By the Ba Gua, I assume you mean the Formation rather than the instrument. Well, yes, I'm picturing it as going with some sort of ultimate spell of various classes. As to your question on the times of the year that go with the formation, all I can say is that what times of the year can this formation be formed would depend on what purpose you use this particular formation for (or what ultimate spell you want to release) eg. if you want to call up the Ultimate Thunder Spell, then it would only work at a time of the year when thunderstorms are at their most strong; If you want to call up a mighty rejuvenating spell, then it will work in early Spring only etc.
I haven't worked out the nuts and bolts for each Symbol wrt this aspect but if you have an ultimate spell based on an element that's around all times of the year, then I think the pt you raised on different application depending on season would apply.
All combo spells can be cast in 3 ways:
1. multiple geomancers working together to form them (in total, they have to have natural affinity to all of the Symbols used in the combo spell) in which case it is all in their minds (so obviously they need to be Master Mages, not apprentices and they have to have worked with each other before and there's lots of planning involved) and the spell will last as long as the spell is held up by the reservoir of mana or other equivalent of the group of geomancers;
2. entirely powered by reservoir items arranged in map bearings that max out the powers of each item representing a particular Symbol and the entire Formation. In this case, the spell will only last until the stored energies in the reservoir items run out (depending on the formation, might be until any one of them run out on power or all of them run out on power);
3. a mixture of 1 and 2 eg. if can't find a Geomancer with natural affinity to one particular Symbol, replace Geomancer with reservoir time corresponding to the missing Symbol; if one of the reservoir times that go into a formation has relatively less 'energies' stored, then a Geomancer can be used to replace it so that the formation doesn't get disrupted b/c this more powerless reservoir item etc. Note, however, in most cases, how a combo spell is powered is decided before it is cast as it is very difficult and dangerous to change how you power a combo spell half-way eg. if halfway thru a combo spell casting powered by Geomancers only, one Geomancer suddenly can't do his job and the spell collapses w/o synchronisation from the group, then the spell has a high probability of backfiring on the whole group of casters.
Solid idea and write-up. I can see the set-up of this society (with the Naming and all) will lead to a lot of intrigues and plots although I must say I personally never like pieces with so much political 'fickleness' implied. I was going to vote for a 3 but then decided against voting at all in case my personal bias will lead me to vote less objectively than I otherwise would.
Also, for some reason, you've got ddd attached in 2 places at the end of your words, once in the summary and once in the first heading
I know, occasionally I have the same issue, I've been known to edit subs just b/c later I felt the particular category I submitted it in didn't fit. Yeah, I personally think the Other category fits the Mounds better. Go to Comment
A solid piece, somewhat mundane but likeable. I don't know why but this sub conjures Oriental images (maybe b/c Chinese/Jap garden decorations with rocks?)
Slight quibble, I don't quite understand why you categorise this sub as a continent. These victory mounds might be a common sight on a particular continent in the Canterra setting but surely they are not the continent itself. Go to Comment
I actually quite like this simple somewhat mundane plot. In particular, I like Part 3 and how this sub incorporates some moral elements and allows for changing objectives for PCs as they learn new info. Go to Comment
I actually quite like this faith system in that it provides a somewhat refreshing take on morals/life principles. I particularly like the afterlife and myth sections. However, like some of the previous comments, I have some problem with the concept that there could be evil altruists. Go to Comment
Okay, if this is what you have in mind, then I think a evil cultist would fit right in. Sth along the lines of "I'm doing xxx (evil action) b/c it will contribute to the cause of Cult xxxx and benefit all of my fellow members". I guess this is sort of the opposite case of being involved in charity for selfish reasons i.e to make a name for yourself/broaden your network of connections/create a positive image etc.
btw, saw the edit and liked them. They are not substantial enough for me to revote but I do still think they improve this piece.
Although I find this sub more fully fleshes out Trianarianism compared to what I've read pre-Cataclysm, I have the following two questions:
1. I know a large part of this sub is the actual religious text but just wondering that given the set-up at the start, why is it important for the Three to stop ppl from turning away from their worship? As far as I understand it, they need to keep the balance b/w themselves and are interested in maintaining the world Atheus (i.e. make sure it doesn't get destroyed). But as the sub currently stands, it doesn't lead me to have any pre-disposition as to thinking that the Three actually cares abt getting worshipped.
2. The Deific Antangonist section, I was somehow expecting a set of opposing deities for the Three but instead it's just abt the re-discovery of Trianarianism and then it branches off into angels and devils. I also get the impression that the Lunists and the Barbarianism's Polytheism (which you haven't released yet) might be the actual 'antagonists' so maybe just change the heading to prevent such mis-leading impressions?
Meanwhile, my gut feeling tells me that I'm still leaning towards my old vote. I appreciate the effort put into this particular piece and they have all improved the sub from previous versions. For example, in this current version, I like the fact that in practice section has been expanded quite a bit. But sorry to say that I cannot say that the improvements are substantial enough for me to upvote this particular piece. Go to Comment
The Green Slime is fantastic (contains both elements of originality and utility), the Ash Fire is also somewhat new but Holy Fire seems somewhat lack-lustre compared to the other two. Anyway, I still think this is a high quality sub overall. Go to Comment
I like this system of blood magic- being quite powerful but also offset by major dangers. I personally think this might fit better into a modern setting rather than fantasy (not sure whether medieval people know abt the concept of iron and minerals intakes and linkage with health, but then they might have known)
P.S. At first I got gibberish when I wrote down the bolded letters and I thought it was some arcane language you invented yourself but then I realise you have to read it backwards to get the sentence. Go to Comment